Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:45:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Not an Awareness Problem But an Education Problem  (Read 1317 times)
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:20:26 PM

Here's a very small, very obvious problem:

What do you think of when you hear the words crypto-currency ?

Crypt as in tomb/grave, cryptic as in complex/overcomplicated, encrypt as in encode/hide something....see where I'm going here?

The very phrase that we use to describe our alternative currency movement is full of bad associations for Joe Public.

I strongly suggest that no-one ever uses the word crypto ever again....at least not where Joe Public can hear you.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
kthejung

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:20:42 PM

I highly disagree with your strong disagree. Smiley  Most people who use fiat money are completely unconcerned with the origin or meaning of that currency; only thing that they care about is the fact that they can spend that money when they need something.  Lots of people right now do not want to deal with a currency that they perceive as being easily stolen, hard to use, and limited usage.  A person can walk into Walmart and buy some ice cream with fiat, this is not achievable with bitcoins right now.  

I can walk into my local café/bistro today and spend BTC instead of fiat... but - I'm not going to. It's a silly idea. The fiat I have in my pocket is losing its value constantly - in a month's time it'll buy me less coffee than it buys me now - so it makes sense to spend fiat, not BTC. (BTC is deflationary - in the long term I expect BTC to be worth much more than that coffee I could have bought with it).

Bitcoin does need to grow, the number of users does need to increase. But this "mass adoption" windmill is something we should stop tilting at. Bitcoin has far better potential than "something we can buy coffee/beer/groceries with".

I discovered Bitcoin shortly after returning from working abroad. I'd been paying a mortgage in one country while working in another. The forex costs were a killer (and I needed to plan ahead, since transfers between the two countries took a few days, and were a bit hit or miss in terms of time). This is Bitcoin's advantage for me - not a new way to buy stuff at Walmart.  That isn't to say this is the only use for Bitcoin, just that aping fiat is not a good use, and "mass adoption" (if it means granny can use BTC to buy her shopping) isn't a goal we should be seriously considering. (It is, however, one of those "truthy" goals, one that seems obvious and right - even if it's anything but).

(Disclaimer: I probably will use BTC in my local café at some point. But I'll do it to encourage a forward-looking business, not because it makes sense for me personally).

I think that Bitcoin can be both a currency and a commodity during its growth phase.  You can use it to buy coffee as long as you replace those coins at the end of the day.  For the most part though, Bitcoin will be pumped up in these early stages by investors.
kthejung

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:23:05 PM

Crypt as in tomb/grave, cryptic as in complex/overcomplicated, encrypt as in encode/hide something....see where I'm going here?

The very phrase that we use to describe our alternative currency movement is full of bad associations for Joe Public.

I strongly suggest that no-one ever uses the word crypto ever again....at least not where Joe Public can hear you.

"internet cash" or "internet currency" is what I use to describe Bitcoin to people.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:23:44 PM

What can we do to educate the world, so that mass adoption really speeds up?

When "we" go out "all over the web" talking about BTC, the results are mixed.
Some good...but much of it is viewed as spam and/or "ponzi recruiting."

Makes sense, it took me about 3 months to convince my friends.

Good job.
You will all eventually do well with BTC, but it might take "too long" at first.
Hopefully they know it can go down (~100%) first?

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:31:48 PM

I think that Bitcoin can be both a currency and a commodity during its growth phase.  You can use it to buy coffee as long as you replace those coins at the end of the day.  For the most part though, Bitcoin will be pumped up in these early stages by investors.

Well yes, and in later phases too (I envisage using BTC to buy PMs in the future, for example). The point is that using BTC as mere currency, and encouraging others to think of BTC as something they can buy groceries/coffee/beer with, doesn't really help Bitcoin. (And, taking this further, could potentially be detrimental - if someone buys 1BTC on our recommendation, spends it successfully, is generally happy with Bitcoin... but then watches as the BTC price rises... their initial positive impression is probably going to be replaced with a "WTF did I do? If only I'd kept that 1BTC and spent fiat instead Sad What a rip-off!" (unless they took your advice and replaced the BTC they spent - but that's hardly convenient compared to fiat. I'm still going to use fiat for coffee!)

This space intentionally left blank.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 05:33:18 PM

"internet cash" or "internet currency" is what I use to describe Bitcoin to people.

I think digital or virtual currency is acceptable too.

Open source, peer to peer money for people that might've taken a computer class.   Cool

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀