Bitcoin Forum
August 24, 2024, 03:19:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to retrieve my bitcoins after ''closing wallet¨ in Multibit??!  (Read 2710 times)
Gianfranco89 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:08:48 PM

This question is very likely to be discussed ages ago by you guys but as I am new to Bitcoin and Multibit, I really need your help. After having bought 2 Bitcoins for the first time and saving them in my Multibit I clicked on the option ¨close wallet" and thereby lost my bitcoins. By going to¨My Computer¨, filling in %appdata% in the address bar and clicking on the Multibit directory I should find it in Multibit.wallet. Nevertheless, I am asked to open it with Adobe Reader and now I can't open the file at all. I am really bad at this shit.. Could somebody please help me!  Sad
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:59:21 PM

This question is very likely to be discussed ages ago by you guys but as I am new to Bitcoin and Multibit, I really need your help. After having bought 2 Bitcoins for the first time and saving them in my Multibit I clicked on the option ¨close wallet" and thereby lost my bitcoins. By going to¨My Computer¨, filling in %appdata% in the address bar and clicking on the Multibit directory I should find it in Multibit.wallet. Nevertheless, I am asked to open it with Adobe Reader and now I can't open the file at all. I am really bad at this shit.. Could somebody please help me!  Sad

If you just used the X button to close, there is no problem...
If you deleted the wallet, there's nothing you can do.
Just reopen MultiBit.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 09:42:41 PM

Opening a wallet file with Adobe Reader won't get you anywhere, and you won't get much with a text editor unless you really know what you're doing. Just reopen Multibit, it should work fine.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Gianfranco89 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 11:01:19 PM

I didn't choose the delete function, simply used 'File' and 'Close Wallet' after which any trace of my bitcoin is gone in Multibit. I read something about Wallet Backups in the 'Help' section but I don't really know what to do. Anyone who can help me, I will compensate you for your time and effort..
byt411

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 11:18:07 PM

I didn't choose the delete function, simply used 'File' and 'Close Wallet' after which any trace of my bitcoin is gone in Multibit. I read something about Wallet Backups in the 'Help' section but I don't really know what to do. Anyone who can help me, I will compensate you for your time and effort..

I have no idea what you did. The bitcoins should still be in the wallet.
Do you have the wallet address written down?
Gianfranco89 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 11:25:08 PM

Yes, I have the wallet address. What do you suggest? I really feel like an idiot, I don't understand how this happened. When I close and reopen Multibit, I use the 'Open Wallet' option to open the saved multibit.wallet file but it says Failure code 'null'. Don't know what that means.
byt411

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 11:46:59 PM

Yes, I have the wallet address. What do you suggest? I really feel like an idiot, I don't understand how this happened. When I close and reopen Multibit, I use the 'Open Wallet' option to open the saved multibit.wallet file but it says Failure code 'null'. Don't know what that means.

Give me the wallet address, either here or by PM, and the amount that should be in it.
Gianfranco89 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:07:23 AM

I can see the amount that's in it but I can't retrieve my damn wallet in Multibit
byt411

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:11:49 AM

I can see the amount that's in it but I can't retrieve my damn wallet in Multibit

Your wallet 14kQCEY32vbxf5DpdXcpqggEh3dN2tAZtx has 2BTC inside.
In the addresses in MultiBit, does that address appear there?
Gianfranco89 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:13:56 AM

No it doesn't my man. That's what I don't understand. How can I retrieve it in my Multibit? I will compensate you if you could help me my friend
byt411

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:17:31 AM

No it doesn't my man. That's what I don't understand. How can I retrieve it in my Multibit? I will compensate you if you could help me my friend

So you probably have this record from the withdrawal on the exchange...
Take the wallet.dat, create a blockchain.info wallet, import it, and see if you find it.
Also, if you could, give me a screenshot of all the addresses in MultiBit.

Also, you got this address because it was in multibit before, correct?
Gianfranco89 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:30:14 AM

I purchased the coins from a Dutch site calle Bitplaats.nl. As usual there's no real trace of my bitcoin address in the specifications of the transaction so I am not sure what you mean by record of the withdrawal.

I can make a screenshot of the new addresses in my Multibit but those are empty. How do I need to create a blockchain.info wallet and import the data into it?

Thanks for your effort helping me out here. Really appreciate it.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4790

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:00:21 AM

Byt411 doesn't seem to understand your problem,  nor does he seem to know anything about MultiBit. I'd be very careful about taking any of his advice.

He is telling you to import your wallet into blockchain.info,  but as far as I know blockchain.info doesn't have any functionality to import MultiBit wallets.

He is telling you to iimport "wallet.dat" but as far as I know, MultiBit doesn't have a wallet.dat file.

I have no idea what "record" he's saying you got from the withdrawal on the exchange.

Gianfranco89 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:23:45 AM

Perhaps could you help me or give me some guide how to retrieve my wallet. Multibit talks about several backups every wallet has. The problem is that when I want to open my wallet it says that the file can't be opened due to a failure code 'null' or something.

How could i get my wallet back in my Multibit. I know the address and the code.
okaynow

Activity: 546

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:28:12 AM

have a look here, maybe this can help. from multibit site

https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_movingAWallet.html

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
byt411

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:56:27 PM

Byt411 doesn't seem to understand your problem,  nor does he seem to know anything about MultiBit. I'd be very careful about taking any of his advice.

He is telling you to import your wallet into blockchain.info,  but as far as I know blockchain.info doesn't have any functionality to import MultiBit wallets.

He is telling you to iimport "wallet.dat" but as far as I know, MultiBit doesn't have a wallet.dat file.

I have no idea what "record" he's saying you got from the withdrawal on the exchange.

Okay, I didn't know that MultiBit doesn't have a wallet.dat, since I never use it.
Also, when you withdraw coins from an online service, there usually is a "transaction record", which includes a user buying coins, and then withdrawing them, accompanied by the tx id.

Perhaps could you help me or give me some guide how to retrieve my wallet. Multibit talks about several backups every wallet has. The problem is that when I want to open my wallet it says that the file can't be opened due to a failure code 'null' or something.

How could i get my wallet back in my Multibit. I know the address and the code.

Go to File -> Open Wallet and see if you can open the multibit.wallet file there.
If not, search your whole computer for any files ending with .wallet, and try to open them using multibit.
https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_support_missingWallets.html
Gianfranco89 (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:45:13 PM

Thanks to you all for the advice. I did what you guys say but still can't find it while it must be there somewhere. I tried to open the multibit files with Multibit but when I do I get a error message in the Multibit log! Error code ''null'..

Can't I find the Multibit address by typing it in a search engine of my hard disk or is that encrypted stuff?
okaynow

Activity: 546

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:52:59 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2014, 07:26:36 PM by okaynow

goto
Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Show Hidden Files, Folders, Drives -> Apply.

Then goto
C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\AppData\Roaming\MultiBit
And look for a file called multibit.wallet, or any .wallet file in this folder.

Edit:
What do you mean by this phrase?
After having bought 2 Bitcoins for the first time and saving them in my Multibit

My understanding is that you bought them at an exchange, and sent them to your account by withdrawing them
is that correct?
Or did you follow any other route?

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
byt411

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 09:19:55 PM

goto
Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Show Hidden Files, Folders, Drives -> Apply.

Then goto
C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\AppData\Roaming\MultiBit
And look for a file called multibit.wallet, or any .wallet file in this folder.

Edit:
What do you mean by this phrase?
After having bought 2 Bitcoins for the first time and saving them in my Multibit

My understanding is that you bought them at an exchange, and sent them to your account by withdrawing them
is that correct?
Or did you follow any other route?

Can you read the methods I have provided?
That did not work, opening the wallet returns "null".

And yes, he bought them at and exchange and withdrew them to that address. According to MultiBit, clicking "Close Wallet" will unload the file from the client, but it should still be in the file.

Gianfranco89: Can you give us the screenshot of that error? Also, searching won't help.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 08:14:04 AM

You might want to have a read through:
https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_support_missingWallets.html

which should help you find your wallet on your disk.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: