Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:33:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: it is getting hot ... summer's gonna be tought for gpu's  (Read 2002 times)
akashamar (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:14:56 PM

Hi ... it's getting hot ... will you use air condition to cool down gpu's or will you try to "survive" with underclocking?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 09:39:17 AM

Hi ... it's getting hot ... will you use air condition to cool down gpu's or will you try to "survive" with underclocking?

Hehe Smiley for miners air conditioning is very important Smiley
Winter time you can not see a prob, but summer time it will show ...
You need to cool down your mining device if you do not want to burn them Smiley
BigBrother

Activity: 439
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:14:54 AM

Of course! You'd also better to use air condition to cool down GPU's! Otherwise...well,  could only wish you luck not to burn it and loose everything!

roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 10:25:07 AM

Of course! You'd also better to use air condition to cool down GPU's! Otherwise...well,  could only wish you luck not to burn it and loose everything!

Indeed there is possibility Smiley

Depend how huge rig you ve got there Smiley
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:44:22 AM

Or just move to somewhere where its freezing all the time  Cheesy
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:15:36 AM

Or just move to somewhere where its freezing all the time  Cheesy

Well you can put them to the freezer Tongue
and make Rig Ice creams Smiley
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:02:11 PM

Last year my GPU rig only really had to go off when it got solidly over 32C/90F which was 3 or 4 times... I think it survived a "dry" 33-34C peak on a couple of occasions, not because it could sweat better like humans, but because I think the air is a tad thinner at higher humidities, which pushed it over the edge a degree sooner.

I actually have more problems this time of year with wide temperature fluctuations, the ventilation control system is monkey in the loop technology.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:08:37 PM

I'll use my GPUs for playing ESO this summer and have my newly bought USB ASIC miner mining at four times the speed my two 5750s could reach with only 1/30 of the power consumption.

After revisitting GPU ming a few days ago I can't see how anyone is still seriously mining BTC with GPUs. Unless of course the new radeon cards are hashing at like double to trple speed compared to the 7ks.

Altcoins might be another story, but last time I checked that it was even less profitable than mining BTC.

dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:10:51 PM

I'll use my GPUs for playing ESO this summer and have my newly bought USB ASIC miner mining at four times the speed my two 5750s could reach with only 1/30 of the power consumption.

After revisitting GPU ming a few days ago I can't see how anyone is still seriously mining BTC with GPUs. Unless of course the new radeon cards are hashing at like double to trple speed compared to the 7ks.

Altcoins might be another story, but last time I checked that it was even less profitable than mining BTC.

I'd imagine were just talking about GPU's in general and thus mainly alt mining.
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:24:48 PM

I'd imagine were just talking about GPU's in general and thus mainly alt mining.

Oh ok. I never got into all that altcoin mining stuff because in my view that is even MORE niche than bitcoin and while you slowly see "mainstream" services to start accepting bitcoin I am realist enough to know that the "mainstream" population and therefor the "mainstream" services will surely not go through the hassle of handling the quadrillion (slight exaggeration, but thats what it looks like) of essentially never needed - or harshly put: essentially useless - alternative cryptocurrencies in addition to bitcoin.

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:47:58 PM

The thought is among economists who "have a clue" about digital currency, that alternative coins function as "hot spares" to bitcoin and to some extent thus increase confidence in bitcoin, if there is a freely exchanged alternate that can be used should there be a serious problem with bitcoin. This should be true I believe for the leading 2 or 3 coins on each alternative proof of work method.

They have some value in that by utilising different parameters with the same bitcoin code, that they stretch things to limits which bitcoin will not see for several years, in terms of number of blocks etc, so should there be a bug, maybe the counter zeroes on block 32,000 or something strange, then it's discovered before it damages bitcoin.

I think they also have value in pointing out the wise/safe choices made for bitcoin, every alt with 1000s of coins block reward, and billions total, that fails, "proves" that a 21 million coin cap is more sensible than that, and voids the argument "there shoulda oughta have been more bitcoins", thus again strengthening confidence in bitcoin.

Then also I do think they have value in the "pocket change" type economy, which I think bitcoin will "grow out of" as it were.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
havanabob

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:45:20 PM

I decided to add one big vent for each farm and +1 mini vent to each GPU... This have to keep me cool in summer - don't want my shit to burn Grin
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 05:35:05 PM

I decided to add one big vent for each farm and +1 mini vent to each GPU... This have to keep me cool in summer - don't want my shit to burn Grin

Yes good choice.
it should give to you a nice cool air during those hot summers days ...
Your rigs will say thanks to you Smiley
Dare

Activity: 508

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:33:21 PM

The area my computer is is has rather poor ventilation, so summer heat will be a problem for me even with AC.

However, I don't mine much and my AC is (mostly) free, so it should work out. I don't envy the major miners who have to pay their own cooling bills though!

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:48:13 AM

Undervolt (more), make sure the fans are at 60% minimum, and don't mine scrypt 

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:57:01 AM

I thought most people have those crazy fans near the miners? plus some glass isolation thing.

How are you guys handling it? Do you guys give the miners a break?
akashamar (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:42:59 AM

Well, it looks like I'll truly have to air conditions for my rigs, however, I'm afraid this will break the point of my profitability ...
Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:12:35 AM

Not if you are mining myriad with x11 or qubit algo. Smiley
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:37:38 PM

You can undervolt the cards or run newer algos like x11 etc.
Nagato4

Activity: 625

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:45:31 PM

Or maybe sell your gpus and asic on eBay for a very high price? Just kidding  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: