Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:07:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install Bitcoin Smart OS [HELP]  (Read 801 times)
hyphenx (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 12:30:14 AM

I am currently learning Node.js and have set up a Node.js instance that I believe runs Smart OS.
I have downloaded the bitcoin source, but am having trouble installing and running bitcoind.
Does anyone have instructions to set it up on Smart OS?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
someguy123

Activity: 336
Merit: 254

CEO of Privex Inc. (www.privex.io)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:12:46 PM

I am currently learning Node.js and have set up a Node.js instance that I believe runs Smart OS.
I have downloaded the bitcoin source, but am having trouble installing and running bitcoind.
From what I can see, SmartOS is an OS designed for Node.
I think it's unlikely you'll get the required libraries to work on SmartOS, and I don't know if there's a real compiler and dev tools available for it.

You'd be best running bitcoind on an alternate GNU/Linux server, and connecting to it from your SmartOS instance.
Note: if it's not on the same network, you'll want to set up RPCSSL or your connection could be compromised.

Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:50:06 PM

I think it's unlikely you'll get the required libraries to work on SmartOS, and I don't know if there's a real compiler and dev tools available for it.

You'd be best running bitcoind on an alternate GNU/Linux server, and connecting to it from your SmartOS instance.
Note: if it's not on the same network, you'll want to set up RPCSSL or your connection could be compromised.

I've never used SmartOS, but if the dependencies aren't easily available then it would probably be more trouble than it's work trying to get it to compile rather than setting up a separate server or virtual machine.

If you use RPCSSL (which I would recommend, if you're opening RPC on a port other than localhost), watch out for the Heartbleed vulnerability; version 0.9.1 patches it, but older versions are open to attack.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
hyphenx (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 03:43:46 AM

I've never used SmartOS, but if the dependencies aren't easily available then it would probably be more trouble than it's work trying to get it to compile rather than setting up a separate server or virtual machine.

If you use RPCSSL (which I would recommend, if you're opening RPC on a port other than localhost), watch out for the Heartbleed vulnerability; version 0.9.1 patches it, but older versions are open to attack.

Thanks so much. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if I was to run a ubuntu server, it would be better to run bitcoind on a separate server for security and easier scalability?
I'm developing on Amazon AWS, so Im inclined to do RPCSSL calls anyway.
Is Node easy to setup and use as a webserver in ubuntu?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: