Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:45:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 24" 16awg PCIE-PCIE and PCIE leads, and 18awg M-F-M Splitters (6pin and 6+2pin)  (Read 28018 times)
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:23:54 AM

Do you have 2 * 6pin pci-e to 1 6pin pci-e? like a converter from 2 to 1, like the knc should have shipped with their last miners...
thx!

not 2-to-1, sorry. I have 1-to-2 splitter though.

Not trying to poach your thread KB but I can do this for the KnC miners.

no sweat - but honestly from what im reading, the neptunes pull about 300W through the PCIe connectors. That is pretty reasonable for my 16awg cables to handle (ive tested them to around 320W without any major concerns), and building in a splitter wouldnt significantly improve things

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:42:21 AM

more like 400w! 5 cubes at a total of 2kw is 400w

i don't have neptunes, but sp20, and i got a lot of smaller psu's that i want to use on sp20 Grin
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 03:57:11 PM

^ahh - looking at some reviews and failure images i see you're right, and 350-400W draw is possible at higher clock settings (thats stupidly dangerous even if you had a 14awg PCIe)

a lot of failed neptunes seem to be burning out the PCIe ports rather than the cords though, because all it takes is an imperfect connection to jump a spark or move the load to a different wire/pin and fail the unit.

my advice would be to use my 16awg wire and try to operate the neptune at a setting thats <350W draw. The cable should be fine, but might get warm enough that you want to consider adding a bit of airflow around the wires. As i mentioned before ive been able to do 320W+/cable myself, but any design that demands >250W/PCIe (im looking at you too, sp20) should really just be building extra sockets into the equipment. $2 to add another PCIe socket seems worth preventing several hundred in damage

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
J4bberwock

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:13:17 PM

^ahh - looking at some reviews and failure images i see you're right, and 350-400W draw is possible at higher clock settings (thats stupidly dangerous even if you had a 14awg PCIe)

a lot of failed neptunes seem to be burning out the PCIe ports rather than the cords though, because all it takes is an imperfect connection to jump a spark or move the load to a different wire/pin and fail the unit.

my advice would be to use my 16awg wire and try to operate the neptune at a setting thats <350W draw. The cable should be fine, but might get warm enough that you want to consider adding a bit of airflow around the wires. As i mentioned before ive been able to do 320W+/cable myself, but any design that demands >250W/PCIe (im looking at you too, sp20) should really just be building extra sockets into the equipment. $2 to add another PCIe socket seems worth preventing several hundred in damage
More like .2$ for the socket, and it's probably even close to 0.05$ in the bulk quantities they are using.

Standard rating for the crimp pins is 9A, so we should be safe up to 324 watt (3x9x12), and it already include some safety margin from the manufacturer.
If you read the datasheet, it gives a numer of mating cycles.
After this number, the material of the pins won't give a contact between pins as good as when it was new, and even in this case, you will be able to draw 9amps per pins with some safety margin left.

But as you said, any imperfect connection will ruin the connector, so using the cables around 250/270 watt is a better idea than to max them out at 300-350 watt.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 04:45:34 PM

$2 to add another PCIe socket seems worth preventing several hundred in damage
More like .2$ for the socket, and it's probably even close to 0.05$ in the bulk quantities they are using.

Standard rating for the crimp pins is 9A, so we should be safe up to 324 watt (3x9x12), and it already include some safety margin from the manufacturer.
If you read the datasheet, it gives a numer of mating cycles.
After this number, the material of the pins won't give a contact between pins as good as when it was new, and even in this case, you will be able to draw 9amps per pins with some safety margin left.

But as you said, any imperfect connection will ruin the connector, so using the cables around 250/270 watt is a better idea than to max them out at 300-350 watt.

all it takes is an imperfect mate on a pin, and that 9A of current is suddenly traveling over 1/2 or 1/3 the surface area that contacts the pin to the cable. bam, fire.

and yeah, PCIe sockets are cheap in bulk. my $2 figure was an upper bound for the cost of the part and the slightly increased complexity of the PCB and assembly. There's no reason to require all that power through a limited number of connectors.

takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 02:26:04 PM

I've gotten these before, solid.
I'm an aircraft electrician, so figured, I'd buy the materials a nd build them. After wiring a single S3+ I said screw it, wasn't worth my time.

Wish you would offer some cooler wire Cheesy Maybe some of the UV stuff, Really pimp out the server room Wink
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 02:56:01 PM

I've gotten these before, solid.
I'm an aircraft electrician, so figured, I'd buy the materials a nd build them. After wiring a single S3+ I said screw it, wasn't worth my time.

Wish you would offer some cooler wire Cheesy Maybe some of the UV stuff, Really pimp out the server room Wink

options like that are available - I could use wires other than black/yellow but IMO it would overly complicate things and cost a little more. In my experience most buyers are looking for 'industry-standard, professional' stuff like yellow/black wiring and black connectors though.

sleeved wiring and UV stuff should be possible, but there is an MOQ of 1000 units for most of these complex designs.

klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 03:23:39 PM

time to bump this again.

im out of the PCIe-PCIe cables (maybe 4-8 of them left), but have hundreds of PCIe leads and over 100 of the splitters

klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 06:46:33 PM

bump to the top - great for server gear conversions like the sidehack boards!

valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 02:30:37 AM

I got my splitter in perfect shipping package.

Solid wire!

Thanks Klondike

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
ddd12md

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 04:16:26 PM

Do you carry out international shipping?
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 04:55:42 PM

Do you carry out international shipping?

anything outside of North America is pretty expensive (its about 1kg for every 15 cables), taking several weeks, and I think european vendors offer cables more locally.

orders of 100+ can possibly be arranged for direct shipping from the factory though, which is a very affordable method if you can wait ~2weeks for production and shipping

ddd12md

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 05:14:27 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2015, 07:42:20 AM by ddd12md

anything outside of North America is pretty expensive (its about 1kg for every 15 cables), taking several weeks, and I think european vendors offer cables more locally.

Don't need many, only 4 PCI leads 16 awg cables. Ready to wait several weeks. This cables quite expensive from european vendors http://shakmods.com/shop&#!/16-Gauge-16-Awg-Un-Sleeved-PSU-Cables-Titan-Neptune-mining-cables-Pci-e-GPU/p/37642162/category=3316088
+ 2 x PCIe-to-PCIe

If you are interested, Could you check for the final price
gcl

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 09:19:32 PM

Was looking to make 2-headed cables similar to what many psus ship with, but using quality 16awg wires...
where are you on this?  I am interested in 2 headed cables

ps: im looking at the possbility of 36" cables or other esigns in the future - any requests or thoughts? (ps: i cant strand two connectors on a single 16awg lead - the cable is too thick - hence the splitter)

What are you trying to accomplish here?  I may be able to work something out for you.

Was looking to make 2-headed cables similar to what many psus ship with, but using quality 16awg wires. I was informed that the molex pcie crimp pins do not fit two 16awg wires, 2x18awg is the max

Ah, I see.  But why would you want to increase the load so much on the 16awg lead by adding another terminal end?  I would think separate leads would be cooler and safer.  Is it a space saving issue? 

Anyway, just between you and me and the wall I can do double 16awg wire crimps even using the wire you sell.  It takes a bit of finesse and patience (and a couple of tricks) but it can be done correctly.  It is the method I use for making my 2:1 reverse adapters for Neptune/Titans.  Wink

mostly for people who like filling all the connections on stuff like the S3, or multiple lower power devices. Would also mean 6" of wire for the second connector as opposed to 24", saving some cost and shipping.

Mostly just interested in what sort of wires people are interested in, as the majority of interest is the leads, but I also go through the 18awg splitters pretty quick.

ANYways: I now have >500 leads and 100 splitters in hand today
Ntrain2k

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

HiveNet - Distributed Cloud Computing

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 09:36:31 PM

Can you make 18" PCIE extentions with 14 or larger gauge wiring?

How about some 24" PCIE plugs that terminate in ring terminals?

▄███▄    ▄▄▄▄▄
          ███████  ███████
          ███████ █████████
           ▀███▀  ▀███████▀
  ▄███▄            ▀█████▀
 ███████  ▄███▄    ▄▄▄▄▄
 ███████ ███████  ▄█████▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▀███▀  ███████ █████████  ▄████████▄
          ▀███▀  █████████ ▄██████████▄
 ▄███▄            ▀█████▀  ▀██████████▀
███████  ▄███▄     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▀████████▀
███████ ███████   █████       ▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ▀███▀  ███████ ▄███████▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▀███▀  █████████  ████████▄
                ▀███████▀ ██████████▄
       ▄█████▄    █████   ███████████
      ▄███████▄  ▄▄▄▄▄     █████████
      ▀███████▀ ▄█████▄     ▀█████▀
       ▀█████▀ █████████
               ▀███████▀
                ▀█████▀

HiveNet

███████████████████
      █████████████████████
     ███████████████████████
    ██████         ▀█████████
   ███████  █████▄   ▀████████
  ████████  ███████▄   ████████
 █████████  █████████  █████████
██████████  █████████  ██████████
 █████████  █    ████  █████████
  ████████  █████████  ████████
   ███████  █       █  ███████
    ██████  █████████  ██████
     █████             █████
      █████████████████████
       ███████████████████
        █████████████████

███████████████████
      █████████████████████
     ███████████████████████
    ████████████████▀  ██████
   ██████████████▀       █████
  ███████████▀       ██▌ ██████
 ████▀  ▀█          ████▌ ██████
████                ████▌ ███████
 ███                ████▌ ██████
  ███▄  ▄█          ████▌ █████
   ████████   █      ██▌ █████
    ███████  ████▄      █████
     ██████  ███████▄  █████
      █████████████████████
       ███████████████████
        █████████████████
|
|
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 02:20:00 AM

bump

wmtomlinso

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 09:01:22 AM

Can you make 18" PCIE extentions with 14 or larger gauge wiring?

How about some 24" PCIE plugs that terminate in ring terminals?

I make and sell 14 gauge pcie cables at your preferred length.  how many are you looking for?   
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 10:02:23 PM

lots of PCIe-PCIe back in stock!

toptekk

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 02:20:17 AM

I need four wires made up two 12 inches long and two 24 inches 16 AGW with males on one end of each wire and  the other end leave it open, I want to rewire a Zeus thunderx6 and not use gender plugs but plug it into the PSU  not the way i did it, my way worked but looks like crap but it worked no heating wires etc . how much i live in Maryland i think i Ordered off your ebay store one time,  if that was you.

klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 02:06:15 PM

I need four wires made up two 12 inches long and two 24 inches 16 AGW with males on one end of each wire and  the other end leave it open, I want to rewire a Zeus thunderx6 and not use gender plugs but plug it into the PSU  not the way i did it, my way worked but looks like crap but it worked no heating wires etc . how much i live in Maryland i think i Ordered off your ebay store one time,  if that was you.

not entirely sure i understand your description - but i only sell the three cables types listed in the OP, and dont really do small custom designs

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: