Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:43:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [RFC] æthereum: a turing-complete coin distributed as per bitcoin's blockchain  (Read 48639 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:36:34 AM

Note that if Ethereum had launched using the spin-off model, it would not be possible to potentially create a threatening clone.  Why do you think they chose not to do this?

Erm. Maybe because the spin-off tech isn't really out there. Yet.

That is most certainly not the reason since Ethereum won't be launching for several months anyway, and Stellar has already launched with a partial spin off. Try again.

Furthermore spin-offs have already been done using different techniques. For example Memorycoin 2.0 spun off from Protoshares

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:05:33 AM

Note that if Ethereum had launched using the spin-off model, it would not be possible to potentially create a threatening clone.  Why do you think they chose not to do this?

Erm. Maybe because the spin-off tech isn't really out there. Yet.

That is most certainly not the reason since Ethereum won't be launching for several months anyway, and Stellar has already launched with a partial spin off. Try again.

Thanks but I'll pass. I haven't really followed Ethereum and I was
under impression they'd already begun fundraising. Anyway, that wasn't
the point of my post, it was to air one more time the annoyance I get
when spin-off tech is seen as means of aggression against altcoins. 

“God does not play dice"
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:16:25 AM

Thanks but I'll pass. I haven't really followed Ethereum and I was
under impression they'd already begun fundraising.

Yes of course they have been fundraising. Specifically because they are doing an IPO (on a vaporware coin) and not a spin-off, which was pretty much the point of this thread to begin with.

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:33:06 PM

This is the equivalent to Satoshi releasing the code and the very same day VISA comes, clones, implements, and fucks up the original creator, abusing its current market position.

C'mon, it's just common sense. Do we really need to explain why this is wrong?

It's not wrong if VISA (or whoever) respects the license under which Bitcoin is published (MIT).

Full license: http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
Copying: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/COPYING

This is how open source works.

Anyhow, the guaranteed outcome of the VISA/Bitcoin example you've made is that people would prefer Satoshi's Bitcoin over VISA's clone, in fact I believe you've made the perfect example against your own argument.

Regarding your comment that spin-offs are shameless and parasitic, many people believe it's altcoins (especially those that are pre-mined and IPOed) that are parasitic and hurt cryptocurrency.  Spin-offs are cooperative in that all bitcoin holders are automatically piggybacked along with any new innovation.  

NO.

What you are proposing could kill the altcoin scams, but also legit projects like ethereum. By "git cloning" any project and just modifying few parameters you are becoming what you despise: A parasite.

Nonsense. Peter is trying to address a crucial issue which is the initial distribution of some alts. He's not parasiting anything, in fact he is trying to improve something that is not working well and that is creating many negative incentives in the ecosystem.

If the userbase of a cryptocurrency migrates en masse to a clone because it uses a bitcoin-blockchain-based distribution it just means that the market has decided that the distribution of the clone is better than the distribution of the original. That's just open source working at its best in a free market enviroment.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:28:44 PM

+1 to the last sentence.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:37:14 PM

If the userbase of a cryptocurrency migrates en masse to a clone because it uses a bitcoin-blockchain-based distribution it just means that the market has decided that the distribution of the clone is better than the distribution of the original. That's just open source working at its best in a free market enviroment.

I'd add that if the market doesn't think the distribution of the clone is better than the distribution of the original, the userbase will not migrate en masse. Everyone stays right where they are and the clone is largely irrelevant. Either way it is a useful experiment.

Momimaus

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

Never back down !!!

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:46:50 PM

Ethereum for sure, but we can´t say that until the IPO is over. Until then we have to spread FUD to keep people away from investing.

I think NXT and NEM have a chance to surpass Bitcoin too, but a lot of work has to be down, and it is not sure.

No other actual coin will surpass Bitcoin, but maybe a new one will come. How knows.

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
CoinTracking is analyzing all your trades and generates in real time tons of useful information such as the profit / loss of your trades, your balances, realized and unrealized gains, reports for tax declaration and many more. For Bitcoin and over 3000 altcoins, assets and commodities.
Get 10% discount for all packages or create your own affiliate link to get 20% for every sale.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:08:26 PM

No I've not invested in Ether at all actually. I don't like the current business model but I might invest at a later stage depending.

I have looked at airdrops before and it's pretty unanimous so far that it just crushes the price and doesn't create user adoption. So I thought the Ethereum airdrop planned here was fine, just futile. Considering the proportion of miners involved in Bitcoin and the number of POW fanboys, trying to bootstrap an ethereum clone based on DPOS onto Bitcoin seemed even more implausible. I think it would just be free advertising for the real Ethereum. Just my opinion, you're entitled to yours.

I think this is a solid post and makes sense to me. I have always looked at Aethereum as a potential threat to Ethereum, but you have now convinced me I was wrong all along about it.

You are certainly correct that all "air drop" coins have been a huge failure thus far. There is no incentive to hold onto the coins and as soon as the are "air dropped" mass dumping ensues.

Ethereum will not suffer from that problem, as all Ethereum owners will have invested something of value to get their portion of Ether. This will provide a deterrent from all Ethereum owners dumping on the market for anything less than what they invested in it, which will uphold the value 1000x better than getting Aethereum for free will.

Just look at how hard all the air drop coins have failed, and how the free distribution Nxt clones have failed. It doesn't take much logical reasoning to deduce that that is what will happen to Aethereum too.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:10:38 PM

Just look at how hard all the air drop coins have failed, and how the free distribution Nxt clones have failed. It doesn't take much logical reasoning to deduce that that is what will happen to Aethereum too.

Logical reasoning is fine, but isn't logical reasoning followed by an experiment even better? Seeing whether the actual outcome agrees with the predicted outcome is enough of a reason to do it.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 05:22:23 PM

Logical reasoning is fine, but isn't logical reasoning followed by an experiment even better? Seeing whether the actual outcome agrees with the predicted outcome is enough of a reason to do it.

Agreed - Peter R has come up with a *useful test* so I think we should play with it and see where it takes us.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:42:34 PM

I agree with you guys that it should still be tested, as I very well could be wrong. Any good experiment should have some empirical evidence. Smiley

What I posted was just my hypothesis.
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 12:55:41 AM

There is no incentive to hold onto the coins and as soon as the are "air dropped" mass dumping ensues.

There is plenty of evidence of this occurring and may well occur in this instance.  However it's not like they're being dropped to a population of a country where most have little knowledge and see no promise in crypto.  Nor can they be claimed en-masse for the purpose of dumping by those currently with no stake in crypto.  The point is they'll be going to those who have a record of valuing crypto so the dump/hold/increase-holding decision is more likely I think to be taken according to the potential value seen in the technology of the spinoff, in this case Ethereum.

Ethereum will not suffer from that problem, as all Ethereum owners will have invested something of value to get their portion of Ether.
True there can not be in this instance a heap of people ready to dump immediately on launch given the money paid.

...This will provide a deterrent from all Ethereum owners dumping on the market for anything less than what they invested in it...
An initial deterrent maybe but given the IPO price was plucked out of thin air none of us has any idea which way the market is likely to go.

...which will uphold the value 1000x better than getting Aethereum for free will.
'uphold' is a tall order!  The Ether price may initially settle at a very different place from the IPO price and if that's a big fast drop and those who bought at IPO prices are seeing their investment drop away they're just as prone to panic selling as the next man.  Whether or not this happens, when it does initially settle, just like Aethereum, the price will move according to the longer term value seen in its technology.

My assessment is the case is by no means as closed as you imply.  Jury's out and in the meantime I'm really intrigued as to how this might pan out Smiley
chufchuf

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 12:01:02 PM

No I've not invested in Ether at all actually. I don't like the current business model but I might invest at a later stage depending.

I have looked at airdrops before and it's pretty unanimous so far that it just crushes the price and doesn't create user adoption. So I thought the Ethereum airdrop planned here was fine, just futile. Considering the proportion of miners involved in Bitcoin and the number of POW fanboys, trying to bootstrap an ethereum clone based on DPOS onto Bitcoin seemed even more implausible. I think it would just be free advertising for the real Ethereum. Just my opinion, you're entitled to yours.

I think this is a solid post and makes sense to me. I have always looked at Aethereum as a potential threat to Ethereum, but you have now convinced me I was wrong all along about it.

You are certainly correct that all "air drop" coins have been a huge failure thus far. There is no incentive to hold onto the coins and as soon as the are "air dropped" mass dumping ensues.

Ethereum will not suffer from that problem, as all Ethereum owners will have invested something of value to get their portion of Ether. This will provide a deterrent from all Ethereum owners dumping on the market for anything less than what they invested in it, which will uphold the value 1000x better than getting Aethereum for free will.

The real air drops are the altcoins themselves when you think about it. The whole idea of bitcoin is that can be modified improved or changed. If aethereum dropped in price at an airdrop it would also drag the price of ethereum because everyone would get to see how the price deals with large trade volumes, but in ethereum you'd have a terrible distribution.

Where's that thread where Peter R is announcing a bounty for setting up aethereum?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 03:23:52 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563972.0

There is a bounty to make tools to and setup a spin off alt.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
chufchuf

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 11:14:47 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563972.0

There is a bounty to make tools to and setup a spin off alt.

I thought there was an entire thread dedicated to the bounty but can't find it. did someone pick the job up?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 06:01:54 PM

I thought there was an entire thread dedicated to the bounty but can't find it. did someone pick the job up?

there may be, I dont think its been claimed, I've offered 1BTC for a snapshot tool that meets Peter_R's specifications, I think the speck has almost been completed, there are other bounties, maybe PM Peter and ask him for the status.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:54:32 AM

How is the progress on this project? Any updates?

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:17:23 AM

How is the progress on this project? Any updates?

Follow the discussion here :
Spin-offs: bootstrap an altcoin with a btc-blockchain-based initial distribution
æthereum needs a bootstrap in order to be distributed.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 03:14:29 PM

bump for anyone has not seen this thread.
jokumat

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 10:05:58 AM

not much activity in this thread. Is this project still active?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: