Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:13:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Automatically rescan  (Read 1040 times)
Mushoz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2012, 11:54:55 PM

I've come across so many threads in which people were switching around wallets, only to come here on the forums stating their coins aren't showing up. Obviously, most of the times when doing this, it requires a -rescan for the client to find the transactions in the blockchain belonging to the new wallet, but far too many people don't realize this. Do you guys think it would be a good idea for the client to check if the wallet has been switched out, and if so, to do an automatic rescan? Perhaps prompting the user, so if the user doesn't want it to rescan, he could cancel it? Seems like a good way to lessen the "coins-not-showing-up" problems for the less technical users.

Thanks for reading!

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 12:58:44 AM

or maybe just a GUI option to rescan?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 01:00:36 AM

Do you guys think it would be a good idea for the client to check if the wallet has been switched out, and if so, to do an automatic rescan?

Newer versions do this already.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Mushoz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 01:14:53 AM

Yeah, that would a nice addition! Way easier to ask someone to click a rescan button somewhere, than to explain how to start up bitcoin with the -rescan switch.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea for the client to check if the wallet has been switched out, and if so, to do an automatic rescan?

Newer versions do this already.

Ah, my bad. Great to hear this has already been implemented! In which version has this been implemented?

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
jimrandomh

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 04:03:55 AM

I think the correct solution to this is proper import/export options in the GUI. The current business of finding a fixed-path file and switching it out is really counterintuitive. and doesn't work very well.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 05:34:25 AM

Ah, my bad. Great to hear this has already been implemented! In which version has this been implemented?
0.3.21, but it was never mentioned in the release announcement, which is why few people know about it.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 12:07:24 PM

THIS

but i suppose it require like 6 years of testing + a bounty of over 9000 btc to add a GUI button saying RESCAN

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 10:35:05 PM

but i suppose it require like 6 years of testing + a bounty of over 9000 btc to add a GUI button saying RESCAN

Or may be just at 9000 btc bounty for a system to force people to read prior messages in a thread?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: