Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:26:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trusted cellphone/mobile bitcoin client  (Read 2560 times)
istar (OP)

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 08:29:45 AM

Right now one of the problems with the new mobile clients are that people do not know the companies behind them.

If I recommend a small shop to start using a mobile client, which should I recommend?

I believe that if some trusted software companies such as Norton mcafee or any other trusted company gave out a client it would be easy to get new people using it, people would probably even pay money for using it.

However they might not create one in years.

So an idea would be for you guys who develop a mobile client to let them license it from you. This is a common approach in many other businesses such as gambling in which a software developer licenses their software to a trusted gambling name.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 09:01:25 AM

Try BitcoinSpinner for Android. It's open-source.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 09:08:46 AM

people do not know the companies behind them.
do you really know your bank ?

some trusted software companies such as Norton mcafee
haha, right.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 09:54:35 AM

trusted software companies such as Norton mcafee

ahahahahaha

is this a joke am i right?

istar (OP)

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 10:09:21 AM

Look I know YOU dont trust them but you are not the target.

I´m talking about avarage joe who have heard about Norton/mcafee/insert "avarage joe trusted companyname dealing in security here" since years back and will never trust a "unknown" company to hold their money.
Ofcourse in a few years things will change but I´m talking this/next year.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
fornit

Activity: 991

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 10:53:18 AM

trust takes time.
or money to create a trustworthy image. like all the big, untrustworthy companies do it.
open source doesnt mean shit to the 95% of the population who get their information from evening tv. nor does any other objective measure of how trustworty an entity is. its just to complicated.
so either you ignore the problem completely and pass on that audience for the time being - which is what we have to do anyway, because we dont have the software for average joe - or you adapt the marketing strategies of the big companies.

so imho dont target average joe. its not worth the time right now and especially not worth the money it will most likely cost.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 12:11:52 PM

Attaching companies to "bitcoin" is not a good idea. Bitcoin is a free thing, if it start getting used by more ppl, it will be because it's useful, not cause of some company name

Or, make a iBitcoin client, stick a white APPLE and problem solved, everyone will rush to use it

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 12:14:01 PM

It connects to a closed source server.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 01:08:22 PM

It connects to a closed source server.
True, but the server does not have your private keys, and is in no position to spend your coins.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
fornit

Activity: 991

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 01:56:07 PM

imho bitcoinspinner is as simple and nongeeky as it gets. therefore its a very important app for the foreseeable future, even though it has a single point of failure.
so jan, dont fail  Grin
Jan
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 02:05:14 PM

imho bitcoinspinner is as simple and nongeeky as it gets. therefore its a very important app for the foreseeable future, even though it has a single point of failure.
so jan, dont fail  Grin
You have a point. Before version 0.4 (yesterday) you could not start the client without a connection to the server. Which is bad if I for instance got a brain tumor and went crazy or something like that. Now, with version 0.4, you can launch the client without network connectivity and export your key. So if the server is discontinued you can always import it somewhere else and begone with me.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 02:13:15 PM

True, but the server does not have your private keys, and is in no position to spend your coins.
Yes, but if you close the server there won't be any other taking his place.
Moreover if you go crazy or someone else will take control of the server then he will be able to make fake blocks and stealing money.

People that are installing this app should know about these dangerous possibilities ...

vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 02:20:33 PM

Yes, but if you close the server there won't be any other taking his place.

If this happens, I'm sure someone will go through the code and make a compatible server... Although I think it would be wise to opensource the server side code also, to further decentralize the system.

Moreover if you go crazy or someone else will take control of the server then he will be able to make fake blocks and stealing money.

People that are installing this app should know about these dangerous possibilities ...

No one can steal your funds, if they don't have your private key.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 02:27:11 PM

Just because you are good man. Wink
Instead, if you are a bitcoinspinner user and I have hacked the server / killed the developer or I'm Crazy-Jan, then I can make a fake account on some markets and offering you ( and many other users ) bitcoin for money.
I'll make 3/4/5 fake blocks and I'll sell to you many fake bicoin, for your REAL money. ( and then running away ... )
Can you understand it now? Wink

Connecting all/many clients to only one server ( or more controlled only by one person ) has the same problems as giving all mining power to only one pool.

Anyway, I read that slush has took the bitcoinspinner code and he is converting it to works with the Electrum server, I think this is the best choice.

vuce

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 02:33:17 PM

Just because you are good man. Wink
Instead, if you are a bitcoinspinner user and I have hacked the server / killed the developer or I'm Crazy-Jan, then I can make a fake account on some markets and offering you ( and many other users ) bitcoin for money.
I'll make 3/4/5 fake blocks and I'll sell to you many fake bicoin, for your REAL money. Can you understand it now? Wink

Anyway, I read that slush has took the bitcoinspinner code and he is converting it to works with the Electrum server, I think this is the best choice.

Connecting all/many clients to only one server ( or more controlled only by one person ) has the same problems as giving all mining power to only one pool.

No, I don't think I do. Why would I buy such coins (especially using bitcoinspinner, which is obviously made to buy stuff in the real world)? Fraud like this can be done much more easily than this.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 02:41:20 PM

No, I don't think I do. Why would I buy such coins? Fraud like this can be done much more easily than this.
I was giving you an example:
You are an user of the bitcoinspinner client, so you trust what it shows on your mobile screen.
I am instead the bad guy and I say to you that I'll am giving you 1000 BTC for only $3000. ( 1 BTC is $5.05 right now, so this is a great offer! )
You accept, and I'll make fake blocks with a fake transaction of 1000 bitcoin to your address.
Than you send me your money, and you are fucked Smiley

The other problem as I said is that the server can go offline for any reasons, and there can't be any substitute ... because there aren't any software / source code to make it.

vuce

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 02:43:16 PM

No, I don't think I do. Why would I buy such coins? Fraud like this can be done much more easily than this.
You are an user of the bitcoinspinner client, so you trust what it shows on your mobile screen.
I am instead the bad guy and I say to you that I'll am giving you 1000 BTC for only $3000. ( 1 BTC is $5.05 right now, so this is a great offer! )
You accept, and I'll make fake blocks with a fake transaction for 1000 bitcoin to your address.

Ok, point taken.

The other problem as I said is that the server can go offline for any reasons, and there can't be any substitute ... because there aren't any software / source code to make it.

BitconSpinner is opensource, anyone could check what kind of requests it sends to the server and what it expects to get back from it. With that information, anyone could make a compatible server.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 02:46:44 PM

BitconSpinner is opensource, anyone could check what kind of requests it sends to the server and what it expects to get back from it. With that information, anyone could make a compatible server.
It isn't so easy, anyway slush seems he is making it Smiley

Jan
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 03:04:12 PM

You accept, and I'll make fake blocks with a fake transaction of 1000 bitcoin to your address.
The way it works on ALL exchanges is that you send the money first, then you can get the BTC. This allows the exchange to fuck around with you regardless of what client you use.
Anyway, to pull this off with BitcoinSpinner I would first have to build up a reputable exchange site, then wait for a customer to come along who happens to use BitcoinSpinner. Then I offer to send him some Bitcoins (before he pays...nah...) in the hope that he would send me some money. Then I will fake that his BitcoinSpinner balance is higher than what it really is, and wait for him to send me some money. Eventually he will discover that the balance was fake, and I'll say muhahaha...and no one would ever use my reputable exchange site or BitcoinSpinner again.

Besides, I don't see people running around with large sums on their mobile wallets. How much cash would you put into your physical wallet?

If you do business with large sums you should use some other client.

This is why it is good that there are alternatives. We have several mobile wallets. Choose the one that suits your needs.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 01:20:10 AM

Or, make a iBitcoin client, stick a white APPLE and problem solved, everyone will rush to use it

One of the best marketing ideas for bitcoin that I've heard in awhile.  Cheesy

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: