Bitcoin Forum
September 30, 2024, 05:14:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help Bitcoin Core "private key for address is not known (code -4)"  (Read 4051 times)
nick80 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:13:54 PM

Need some help.

Downloaded the newest bitcoin core
Running windows 8.1
Fully synced blockchain
Put my wallet.dat in place

doing the following in bitcoin console,

walletpassphrase "password" 1000

dumpprivkey "address"

and get error saying Private Key for Address ****** is not known (code -4)

I have searched everywhere and read every thread with no solution. I have a wallet.dat file with a couple Receiving addresses, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Unfortunately my skills are limited so I don't really know how to use pywallet, but don't see why bitcoin core would not be able to dump privkey, but if someone has step by step of what to do for pywallet on windows or MAC OSX 10.9 I would appreciate that, Im a noob and don't understand the threads about pywallet,

Thank you in advanced.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 10:38:55 PM

Need some help.

Downloaded the newest bitcoin core
Running windows 8.1
Fully synced blockchain
Put my wallet.dat in place

doing the following in bitcoin console,

walletpassphrase "password" 1000

dumpprivkey "address"

and get error saying Private Key for Address ****** is not known (code -4)

I have searched everywhere and read every thread with no solution. I have a wallet.dat file with a couple Receiving addresses, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Unfortunately my skills are limited so I don't really know how to use pywallet, but don't see why bitcoin core would not be able to dump privkey, but if someone has step by step of what to do for pywallet on windows or MAC OSX 10.9 I would appreciate that, Im a noob and don't understand the threads about pywallet,

Thank you in advanced.

Are you sure you copied the address correctly, and that it's in that wallet? A missed letter or digit would cause this error, as would attempting to dump the key for an address in a different wallet.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1579

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:42:43 PM

Usually this means that the wallet was not unlocked because you entered the wrong password. My suggestion is to run bitcoin-qt (the GUI version), pick an address and try to sign a message with that address. You will be asked to unlock the wallet then and at that point if you manage to unlock it and sign a message you know you have the right password. Then you can try to dump the priv key in the console.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: