Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:26:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CARB] Carboncoin discussion thread (S-M) [OFFICIAL]  (Read 2073 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 11:22:32 AM
Last edit: April 11, 2014, 01:29:19 PM by DiamondCardz

Self-moderated thread for the discussion of CarbonCoin without the interference of trolls such as Spoetnik.

Check the [ANN] at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=526031.0

Websites you should see:
http://carbon-co.in/
http://carboncoinforest.org/

Quote from: Carboncoin ANN
Our current price per tree is 1M CARB, 0.015 BTC, or 0.5 LTC and this will be updated daily on the site.
All our trees will be left to grow for at least 100 years, by that time having absorbed some 1000kg of Carbon Dioxide on average.

This price is a direct function of a prenegotiated fiat price for planting a sapling,
which is less than 20% of the normal cost for doing it online as a gift
and will become more cost effective the larger the operation becomes.

Carboncoin Donation Address: LFsTe6yRk1TXuGGW6kKwG8L3N4pkx5b6Do

Bitcoin Donation Address: 1Kh1maAxmH7f4xYfdviKJVkKuaSwPxGL1g

Litecoin Donation Address: LXBpsTN2VkF161nfWgVBqX63AtUrwxYAA9

The blockchain can be found at http://carbonchain.info/

Here are some pools:

carbon.basshash.com

carb.crunchharder.net

https://www.miningpool.co/

coin-base.info/carboncoin/

carbon.hashrapid.com/

carbon.scryptominers.com

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
danonthehill

Activity: 710
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 11:42:42 AM

To all Carboncoin miners.  There are hundreds of you who have been mining at this low difficulty.  Why are you mining it if you have not contributed to the fund? It does not make sense.

If all of you gave 1m (preferably 5m), the 1% target would be reached and the coin can begin to move into the mainstream, which is what you want right?  The infrastructure of this coin needs to grow, and a commitment to the coin and its carbon neutral aspirations needs to come from the mining community to make this coin a success, achieve our environmental goals and make your mining worthwhile. 

There are lots of names on the mining pools but not so many on the contributions leader board. Please give generously and get your name on the top of that leader board.

Please join the forum and contribute coins and ideas: http://coinstack.org/index.php?topic=92.0 
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 11:54:37 AM

If all of you gave 1m (preferably 5m), the 1% target would be reached and the coin can begin to move into the mainstream, which is what you want right?

Exactly. If you are mining it actually makes more sense for you to donate at least a million CARB to the fund, as this will let Carboncoin gather more attention and raise the coin's price.

ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 12:12:54 PM

If all of you gave 1m (preferably 5m), the 1% target would be reached and the coin can begin to move into the mainstream, which is what you want right?  The infrastructure of this coin needs to grow, and a commitment to the coin and its carbon neutral aspirations needs to come from the mining community to make this coin a success, achieve our environmental goals and make your mining worthwhile. 

Happy to donate but I have a couple of questions first.

Can you explain what the fund will be used for?

Will the fund be dumped at some point to fund fiat projects relating to this coin? That surely would not be beneficial for the price of Carboncoin.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 12:29:10 PM

Happy to donate but I have a couple of questions first.

Can you explain what the fund will be used for?

Will the fund be dumped at some point to fund fiat projects relating to this coin? That surely would not be beneficial for the price of Carboncoin.

The ANN thread states that every 1M CARB, 0.015 BTC or 0.5 LTC donated to the fund will result in 1 tree being planted, which will grow for at least 100 years offsetting approximately 1000kg of Carbon Dioxide. The forum thread says this will happen once 1% of CARB (160m) reaches the fund, and that it will then slowly be dumped in increments of no more than 1m in order to raise awareness, keep the market stable, etc.

axismundi

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 01:03:45 PM

Hi guys,

The 1m = 1tree analogy is just a guide, this price in CARB will go down as the price goes up, and it is all a function of the underlying fiat cost of planting a tree.

The point of the donations account is that is will be spent on measurable and quantifiable offset - that is, 100% of the proceeds from the sale of the Carboncoin in the wallet will be spent on directly taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, and as much as we can of it.

We wont be releasing the funds out of the donation wallet at anything like current price levels, and in tranches of no more than 1M at a time, with each transfer being justified individually and accounted for here:

http://coinstack.org/index.php?topic=92.0

Any donors will have their names featured on the leaderboard there for being part of the solution. Every care will be taken to release the Carboncoin from the donations wallet to the market at a rate which does not disrupt the market in any way. At no point will the price be taken down 5 ticks for example.

The more we have in the wallet in percentage terms the more of a case we have for getting support from environmentalists. I think 10% of holdings is a sensible option for people holding a % or more. I am suggesting anyone buying in between here and 10s keeps half and puts half in the fund.

The reality of this is the value of this coin as a concept is a direct function of the percentage donated.

Here's something interesting to discuss in addition to our future-offset forestry projects already in place:

I have been having discussions with some very interesting people in conventional carbon offset, learning lots about the mechanics of the industry, and it turns out some of my fears about the channel were misguided. So, we can get a gold standard in offset for our coin before long and feature several verified sequestration related conventional offsetting projects on our books.
I will come up with a BTC cost for our initial gold standard carbon neutrality certification, but it looks like it will just under 1BTC.

Does everyone think this is a good idea? If so, we can start a fundraising for this BTC separately from the Carboncoin donations.

Best,

AM

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 01:08:32 PM

Hi guys,

The 1m = 1tree analogy is just a guide, this price in CARB will go down as the price goes up, and it is all a function of the underlying fiat cost of planting a tree.

The point of the donations account is that is will be spent on measurable and quantifiable offset - that is, 100% of the proceeds from the sale of the Carboncoin in the wallet will be spent on directly taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, and as much as we can of it.

We wont be releasing the funds out of the donation wallet at anything like current price levels, and in tranches of no more than 1M at a time, with each transfer being justified individually and accounted for here:

http://coinstack.org/index.php?topic=92.0

Any donors will have their names featured on the leaderboard there for being part of the solution. Every care will be taken to release the Carboncoin from the donations wallet to the market at a rate which does not disrupt the market in any way. At no point will the price be taken down 5 ticks for example.

The more we have in the wallet in percentage terms the more of a case we have for getting support from environmentalists. I think 10% of holdings is a sensible option for people holding a % or more. I am suggesting anyone buying in between here and 10s keeps half and puts half in the fund.

The reality of this is the value of this coin as a concept is a direct function of the percentage donated.

Here's something interesting to discuss in addition to our future-offset forestry projects already in place:

I have been having discussions with some very interesting people in conventional carbon offset, learning lots about the mechanics of the industry, and it turns out some of my fears about the channel were misguided. So, we can get a gold standard in offset for our coin before long and feature several verified sequestration related conventional offsetting projects on our books.
I will come up with a BTC cost for our initial gold standard carbon neutrality certification, but it looks like it will just under 1BTC.

Does everyone think this is a good idea? If so, we can start a fundraising for this BTC separately from the Carboncoin donations.

Best,

AM

Sounds interesting, but right now I think we should focus our resources on promotion of the fund for CO2 offsetting.

danonthehill

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:14:48 PM

Another function of the fund is show evidence of the commitment from the crypto-currency community to addressing the negative environment impact of mining and therefore encourage involvement and adoption from eco groups and the environmentally conscious.

There is a whole generation of people who like the idea of a disruptive currency and decentralization.  However, ideologically the environmental issue is a barrier for many because they also support environmental initiatives and see the carbon footprint of digital currencies as a major point of contention.  Carboncoin seeks to address this problem and encourage broad adoption as a transactional currency from this previously untapped section of the market, but they will not be convinced unless crypto-currency users, miners, creators recognize the problem and make an effort to reconcile the two issues.
danonthehill

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:25:56 PM

Sounds interesting, but right now I think we should focus our resources on promotion of the fund for CO2 offsetting.

Agreed, best devote all our efforts to expanding the forest projects in existing and new locations.  We need adoption in the crypto community first and Carboncoins unconventional/unique/disruptive approach is part of its appeal.  Once your existing projects grow and the mainstream media become involved we can tackle certification easily if it becomes an issue. 
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 01:31:03 PM

Agreed, best devote all our efforts to expanding the forest projects in existing and new locations.  We need adoption in the crypto community first and Carboncoins unconventional/unique/disruptive approach is part of its appeal.  Once your existing projects grow and the mainstream media become involved we can tackle certification easily if it becomes an issue.  

Indeed. Without the main goal of Carboncoin being fulfilled, what is the point of everything else? We need to focus on the main goal and then branch off from there.

ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:32:02 PM

The ANN thread states that every 1M CARB, 0.015 BTC or 0.5 LTC donated to the fund will result in 1 tree being planted, which will grow for at least 100 years offsetting approximately 1000kg of Carbon Dioxide. The forum thread says this will happen once 1% of CARB (160m) reaches the fund, and that it will then slowly be dumped in increments of no more than 1m in order to raise awareness, keep the market stable, etc.

Okay, thanks.

Just donated 2,000,000 to fund address.

Also, we could do with some more hash power on Carboncoin at https://www.miningpool.co

Smiley
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 01:32:50 PM

Okay, thanks.

Just donated 2,000,000 to fund address.

Also, we could do with some more hash power on Carboncoin at https://www.miningpool.co

Smiley

Awesome, that's 1 step closer to the goal of 160M CARB Smiley And haha, I'll be sure to add a bit of hash power once I get my miner set up.

danonthehill

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 02:04:09 PM

Awesome +1
ning_chang

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 02:39:59 PM

68mil CARB, not bad guys. keep up the good work!

http://carbonchain.info/address/LFsTe6yRk1TXuGGW6kKwG8L3N4pkx5b6Do
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 04:20:35 PM

If all of you gave 1m (preferably 5m), the 1% target would be reached and the coin can begin to move into the mainstream, which is what you want right?

Exactly. If you are mining it actually makes more sense for you to donate at least a million CARB to the fund, as this will let Carboncoin gather more attention and raise the coin's price.

Sounds good. And if I ever get to a million then I will let you know. Not all of us are exactly heavy on the hashing power. Right now I am sitting at just under 170K. I will gladly donate some of that, but it's not gonna make much of a dent in the 160M goal.  Cool

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 05:29:50 PM

Sounds good. And if I ever get to a million then I will let you know. Not all of us are exactly heavy on the hashing power. Right now I am sitting at just under 170K. I will gladly donate some of that, but it's not gonna make much of a dent in the 160M goal.  Cool

Haha, the more the better however! You wouldn't get on the leaderboard with a donation of less than 5m CARB but you'll still help the goal and raise the price of all your coins Smiley

cryptomite

Activity: 304
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:27:55 AM

Even if you are a miner and you are ONLY worried about money, and not the trees, it is still more profitable for you to donate some of the coins. This will make the price of the coin go up!!!

You should be thinking about doing this for the environment, but even if your not, it makes no sense to sell them all immediately.

I have been watching this coin. I believe this is about as low as the price will get. Im about to buy some in the next few days and donate half and hold half.

Let's ALL get on the leaderboard!!

DemetriusAstroBlack

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:48:50 AM

Its almost dead, it will all be over soon.

Tip me BTC: 1MQ3JmX3xsnQqwEu7MB75GwxMtzKxJm4ha
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 08:54:26 AM

Its almost dead, it will all be over soon.

Nope, not really...we still have quite a few miners, so I don't know what brought you to this conclusion.

danonthehill

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 02:33:30 PM

Come on guys, if you are mining, donate!  

If we can reach 135 million soon, I'll match AxisMundi's stake and donate another 25 million, so we reach the target.

Let's see this coin succeed.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: