Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:17:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A sneak peak at the future of Bitcoin Cold Storage  (Read 13435 times)
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:32:34 PM

Discounted products? A smaller lite promotional version? Or early buyers?

Update though if you decide to go that direction.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:56:17 PM

Yeah, like does it come with free lube?
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:10:12 AM

You know, the shape might seem sexual, but functionally it's also the most secure shape. The fewer seems in the device, the more difficult it is for someone to find a way to open the device in a way you might not notice. This is the easiest method for being able to visually inspect the device.

>>>Discounted products? A smaller lite promotional version? Or early buyers?

I might consider this for the first run for example, "beta testers" as you will. Or maybe if I go the crowdfunding route at the start, a discounted version for the crowdfunders/early buyers.

more or less retired.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:36:51 AM

Nice work Smiley. The appearance is very futuristic. I can't quite think of what the look of it remind me of at the moment, but it looks really nice so far Smiley
serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:27:29 PM

You know, the shape might seem sexual, but functionally it's also the most secure shape. The fewer seems in the device, the more difficult it is for someone to find a way to open the device in a way you might not notice. This is the easiest method for being able to visually inspect the device.

>>>Discounted products? A smaller lite promotional version? Or early buyers?

I might consider this for the first run for example, "beta testers" as you will. Or maybe if I go the crowdfunding route at the start, a discounted version for the crowdfunders/early buyers.

You could always take that unwitting correlation and run with it - call them vibrator wallets...and I guarantee you'll have added an additional layer of security because NOBODY is gonna touch somebody's vibrator  Grin

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
kthejung

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:58:26 AM

It's two things that women want: money and dick.
serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:23:14 AM

It's two things that women want: money and dick.

At the risk of taking this down a darker road - just an addition to the above, there are very sweet little vibrators shaped like a tube of lipstick. Any sort of camouflage style wallet, be it a vibrator, a tube of lipstick, or some other innocuous design similar to the way they're doing usb sticks (even saw a little rubber bracelet that's a usb stick) would be a good concealment for additional security of just being overlooked as a useless thing.

I like this prototype because they're shiny and cool and interesting looking...and while I'd totally support you and buy one eventually, I can see the theft value in it also - we love awesome sci fi shiny tech gadgets.

Just a consideration for future "expansion" maybe Smiley

aeternum.in

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

As a side note- I have registered aeternum.in for bitcointalk. I'll confirm it via my crazy_rabbit account later in my signature. Just as a FYI.

As for the 'womens pleasure products' angle. It's not really something I'm going after as it's not really related at all. The final device will be smaller then this, so the resemblance might be less. (I hope) :-)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:17:12 AM

As a side note- I have registered aeternum.in for bitcointalk. I'll confirm it via my crazy_rabbit account later in my signature. Just as a FYI.

As for the 'womens pleasure products' angle. It's not really something I'm going after as it's not really related at all. The final device will be smaller then this, so the resemblance might be less. (I hope) :-)

I can confirm. It's me. :-)

more or less retired.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:26:24 AM

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. Have you considered a hockey puck shape? A flat circle. Easy to pocket and likely will have few seams. Also you can lay it flat on a surface without it rolling about and potentially breaking.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:48:57 AM

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. Have you considered a hockey puck shape? A flat circle. Easy to pocket and likely will have few seams. Also you can lay it flat on a surface without it rolling about and potentially breaking.

I did consider the hockey puck shape, it really is a good idea and indeed one of the early prototype designs was exactly this sort of shape. The catch is that the physical process we use to weld the glass and thus create the unique "finger print" for each device is very, very difficult to build into a hockeypuck shape as we are limited with the diameter we can work with. Also, certain amounts of glass layers are needed to protect the NFC chip from the extreme heat of Glass welding. The Hockey Puck shape just didn't work out for these reasons. The idea is the same though- a cylinder of some sort. Once the final prototype is done though I will explain one thing that is very special about the glass in this device which would be hard to implement on the hockeypuck. :-)

more or less retired.
serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 05:58:37 PM

Just for the record I wasn't seriously suggesting pleasure device shapes either way, that was horsing around...but the fork from there to various innocuous object shapes was more serious if you decide to expand down the road.

BSIG

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

Vintage4X4

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 07:28:08 PM

So, I've been working on this for awhile and I'm in the later (hopefully final) prototype stage of a new type of Cold Storage and Bitcoin Vault device. Like a physical bitcoin, but more of a personal vault. It is beautiful, solid, secure, wireless (NFC), durable, multi-sig compatible, very nearly counterfeit proof (The CIA can probably counterfeit anything), clone proof (again, the CIA probably could) and if all the kinks in the manufacturing process can be ironed out, provide a truly random source of entropy for creating secure bitcoin transactions. (Hopefully it will also be a little bit smaller)

So here's hoping. A lot of work has going into this baby, and I'm still not there yet but it's a work in progress.

Small gif, hopefully will have a new round of prototypes in a couple weeks. The light is the sun glinting off it- i can only wish it could make that light itself!

EDIT: And you don't have to trust the manufacturer to use it!

I'd like to see it in real world use without NFC, the rest of it is alright.

Vintage4X4
singularity

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:36:43 PM

When are you looking to launch this?
serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:15:59 PM

Oh, just came across this and thought of you!

https://www.aromatools.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DT520-3.jpg

If you could work out something similar as a storage container for the wallets...even cooler!

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:00:28 AM

If you could work out something similar as a storage container for the wallets...even cooler!

Actually you can get small Peli cases like this, I already have one. It's small but it's too big for one device. Maybe for the kit of device in shipping it might be interesting, but it's not so cheap, but it's a good idea!

>>>>When are you looking to launch this?

Originally I had thought June, but now it's looking more like September to have everything put together properly.So start of the 3rd quarter. I might do a "Beta tester run" at reduced price to get feedback before then though, to see what the response it. But generally I'm looking at September. I will probably launch with a limited software support- a basic application that completes the basic features, as the device can be access and used by other NFC writing software. So Beta testers can see their own best way to use the device.

>>>>I'd like to see it in real world use without NFC, the rest of it is alright.

I suppose you don't HAVE to use the NFC chip, besides reading the initial hash of the internal decryption key that is stored on the NFC chip. I could for example perhaps send each device with the decryption hash written on a piece of paper (rather then stored already in NFC memory) under a hologram. Is that something you would be interested in? Using the device just as a protected password holder? 

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:21:52 AM

You know, you might have just solved my packaging problem. I've been thinking about the best way to package the device, and this might just be it. :-)

more or less retired.
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:42:53 AM

You know, you might have just solved my packaging problem. I've been thinking about the best way to package the device, and this might just be it. :-)

For storing my Casascius coins, they go in one of these..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-Safe-Charging-Bag-Safety-Fireproof-Charging-Sack-/151300990888?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item233a3de7a8

Maybe you could hollow out some fire-proof foam to fit inside the bag.

Just a thought.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 2207

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 03:12:26 PM

I suppose you don't HAVE to use the NFC chip, besides reading the initial hash of the internal decryption key that is stored on the NFC chip. I could for example perhaps send each device with the decryption hash written on a piece of paper (rather then stored already in NFC memory) under a hologram. Is that something you would be interested in? Using the device just as a protected password holder? 
Why not both? Or give someone the option to choose? I would choose for both.

Anyway, you have a great project going on and I have been following it for a while. Always has been on my watchlist, because I was to lazy to reply. I can't wait till the test run. I might even buy one if I have the BTC for it. Keep up the great work dude!

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
aeternum.in

Activity: 48

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:40:13 PM

New Prototypes are in! And they are starting to look even more beautiful. :-)

Discovered a few tensions issues with the glass though, so this won't be the final prototype as I originally hoped. On to version 6!

https://i.imgur.com/Qdq0UXy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ofcft1V.jpg

EDIT: Interesting thing we figured out: The KeyVaults *float* despite being made of metal and glass. Nice huh?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: