Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: del  (Read 3168 times)
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 06:57:43 PM

I am at BitcoinCharts.com, looking at the 1 Month/Hourly MT Gox chart (larger chart version)

It is a thing to behold. 

You will see steady climb from 1st week of December to January 1st. Very steady and gradual and to me most importantly, a very STABLE climb upward.

After the New Year, the pattern has changed dramatically... there have been 2 upward dollar spikes , each in the space of 2-3 days.One from $4.20 to $5.20 and the recent $4.80 to around today's $6.20 mark.

I for one would like to see a steady, trading in range climb, like we had the previous 3 weeks, with the occasional .50-$1 burst upward.

I would love to see it go to the moon like everyone else does, and it may, but I am hesitant to invest again until it gets boring, trading steady for weeks at a time again.

This can be viewed as punctuated equilibrium.  Or visualized as someone walking blindfolded down a path, getting pushed by a stranger, and then trying to regain her balance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 07:04:56 PM

I guess a stable BTC price is not an option.... ??

Not in a market driven by 90% speculation. 

The price always seems to correct and stabilize, again looking at last months chart.

Guess that the must the other 10% at work ?
gewure

Activity: 364

[#][#][#]

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 07:05:20 PM

After a large and rapid increase in price it would be natural, almost expected to see quite a few people take profits off the table and dump the price to somewhere in the low to mid $5 range.

For those traders who anticipate higher prices in the very near future, I would ask why that is so?  What's happened to bitcoin in the last week to make it rise so far and so quickly?  Apart from change in sentiment, was any new product or service announced?  Did the fundamentals change?

indeed. there was e.g. that guy who sold amazon-couposn for about 80% of theire value in bitcoin.

-> that makes bitcoins alot more worthy, cause if you want to buy on amazon, it is alot cheaper to first buy bitcoins and trade them against those coupons for ag 20% gain.

i don't know how many of this coupons he sold, but whenever i saw them, they were pretty high and there was a huge demand for them..so i guess some 10.000$ + ..

Do not buy gift codes (Amazon, iTunes, or otherwise) with bitcoins.  Those gift codes were paid for with stolen credit card numbers, and Amazon will probably kill them before you use them or before whatever you buy is shipped.  Meanwhile, the seller has run off with your bitcoins.

error 404 - no stupidity found in 'brain'

serious: this were also my first thoughts when it came to this coupons, but after i watched some of them beeing sold and everbody involved beeing very happy, i doubt they are killed or paid for with stolen credit cards^^

there are a lot of possibilities where those come from, to imply serious crime straight away.. well i don't usually do so.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 08:45:16 PM

Regarding the subject:
I see the price clinging to the asks on low volume as bullish.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 12:20:51 AM

indeed. there was e.g. that guy who sold amazon-couposn for about 80% of theire value in bitcoin.

-> that makes bitcoins alot more worthy, cause if you want to buy on amazon, it is alot cheaper to first buy bitcoins and trade them against those coupons for ag 20% gain.

i don't know how many of this coupons he sold, but whenever i saw them, they were pretty high and there was a huge demand for them..so i guess some 10.000$ + ..

Do not buy gift codes (Amazon, iTunes, or otherwise) with bitcoins.  Those gift codes were paid for with stolen credit card numbers, and Amazon will probably kill them before you use them or before whatever you buy is shipped.  Meanwhile, the seller has run off with your bitcoins.

error 404 - no stupidity found in 'brain'

serious: this were also my first thoughts when it came to this coupons, but after i watched some of them beeing sold and everbody involved beeing very happy, i doubt they are killed or paid for with stolen credit cards^^

there are a lot of possibilities where those come from, to imply serious crime straight away.. well i don't usually do so.

The second thought is to doubt those supposed sales and happy customers.  Probably the scammer giving himself good feedback in order to trick people.  Where did you see these gift cards for sale, if I might ask?

It's for this reason that good vendor sites like SR are based on building a "web of trust", so that the accounts of fake customers and scammers are identified and closed before they can rip off too many real customers.  Of course some scammers will always slip through the cracks if they try hard enough, before they are caught.

Same idea with Ebay, but the scam works a little differently there.  A while back, some people were excited to sell bitcoins on Ebay, because they were selling like hotcakes at a 20% premium over the going MtGox price.  They would get with PayPal and then send the customer the bitcoins to the customer's bitcoin address.  Then PayPal reversed their payments (they were bought with stolen paypal accounts or stolen cc's), and they were out their bitcoins.  Now if you see bitcoins for sale on Ebay, its usually as BitBills or something which gets physically shipped.

You have to be on your guard with irreversible transactions like bitcoin (also international wire transfers and western union).  Its the critical ingredient in all the common scams (craigslist scams, nigerian emails, etc.).

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 04:10:57 PM

only thing that keeps price 'stable' at the moment are flaky mtgox APIs - they freeze reportning data, all btc economy freezes

they should do something about their APIs
mirroring, load balancing, cdn, whatever

they could offer premium real time for monthly subscription and keep the current crappy api reporting free

so many different options and methods to aproach it and make it smooth.

when big waves come, only thing holding us back are mtgox api's  - which will not be impressive in general public view

Angry

their own mtgoxlive is a joke as of late

+1

is there a better charting site out there?  I understand the lag is going to originate with the gox data...but being able to zoom and scroll like I want would be nice, something like netdania?

http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/
http://www.bitcoincharts.com/
http://www.btccharts.com/

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:34:57 PM

only thing that keeps price 'stable' at the moment are flaky mtgox APIs - they freeze reportning data, all btc economy freezes

they could offer premium real time for monthly subscription and keep the current crappy api reporting free

when big waves come, only thing holding us back are mtgox api's  - which will not be impressive in general public view

Angry

+1

is there a better charting site out there?  I understand the lag is going to originate with the gox data...but being able to zoom and scroll like I want would be nice, something like netdania?

http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/
http://www.bitcoincharts.com/
http://www.btccharts.com/

pulling from the same API, all of these services at best are lagging behind if not frozen completely during trading peak times like now
appreciate for trying to help though
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:40:29 PM

Angry

I just wanted to +1 this.  Their API/socketio is extremely unreliable and it forces me to stop trading because I have no data in front of me.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 05:53:03 PM

Yeah just getting it out there since he asked, source of the problem still needs to be fixed. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:19:44 PM

th api is working Smiley

do you know if there are any sites using their api to watch live order stream?
although once TH faces growing traffic pulling their API's, most likely it would cause the same problem, but for the time being i may give TH a try if i won't have to code my own gui to their live data feeds
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 02:16:42 PM

now what  Grin

from the Margin Call movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DqFRsPrns
-You are panicking.
-If you're first out the door, that's not called panicking.

+1

small selloff last night broke out of the ascending triangle, woke up to big sellof to >$6

(of course the chart is outdated but the quote totally applies)

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: