Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:30:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOIN booth at CES Las Vegas! Tell all reporters!  (Read 23496 times)
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 08:12:13 AM

I live in Vegas and just bought my first bitcoins today! Glad to see the booth at CES is of high quality, great work spreading the word about bitcoins guys!  Smiley

Nice. I live in Vegas too. Would love to stop by the booth.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 08:27:01 AM

too bad bitcoinexpress isn't really active anymore.

she can be the booth babe  Tongue

*runs before said person hunts me down*

Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 09:11:33 AM

Awesome display!
Yes, that's all I can say

Hey, it rhymes
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 03:38:00 PM

This conversation was my absolute favorite... The guy on camera right was very concerned about how Bitcoin was a scam, monopoly money, had no value, and was having a real hard time understanding how transactions occurred at the customer/merchant level. The conversation was getting louder and louder and approaching an uncomfortable level at which point the older guy in the middle, we called "the money man" of the group, left. The guy on the right continued for a little bit but gave up and left too. The guy on camera left stuck around and watched the demo bit-pay had for their mobile checkout and pay card stuff.

About an hour later, the guy on the right came back to the booth with bitcoins in his eyes and full of excitement. He finally got it and was tossing these ideas around in his head about how he could start using Bitcoin in his business. It was a very rewarding experience to be a part of. Fun times.

Tony sent this photo to me just now, with email subject: "Bitcoin booth is overflowing into the aisle!"

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 03:52:25 PM

This conversation was my absolute favorite... The guy on camera right was very concerned about how Bitcoin was a scam, monopoly money, had no value, and was having a real hard time understanding how transactions occurred at the customer/merchant level. The conversation was getting louder and louder and approaching an uncomfortable level at which point the older guy in the middle, we called "the money man" of the group, left. The guy on the right continued for a little bit but gave up and left too. The guy on camera left stuck around and watched the demo bit-pay had for their mobile checkout and pay card stuff.

About an hour later, the guy on the right came back to the booth with bitcoins in his eyes and full of excitement. He finally got it and was tossing these ideas around in his head about how he could start using Bitcoin in his business. It was a very rewarding experience to be a part of. Fun times.

It's a type of person like that who'll help catapult Bitcoin into the mainstream. With so much to see and do at CES, it took an extra effort on his part to return to the Bitcoin booth simply to share his excitement.

~Bruno~

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 04:42:56 PM

The "Bitcoin ATM" is on display at CES now.  Good attention getter. Lots of interest. I have laid out a dozen of my 25 BTC coins (stickers peeled) they make a nice visual aid.

who's project is this?

Yes, I would also like to know..

same.

Wasn't it Todd Bethel(sp?) that was working on an atm for Bitcoin at one point?

yes, Bethell.  he and Jon Ryan Owens have been at odds.  i'd like to get the straight story on that one.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 06:31:23 PM

Tony sent this photo to me just now, with email subject: "Bitcoin booth is overflowing into the aisle!"

In other words...loud ignorant guy scares off three people

then loud guy comes back less ignorant

three people still scared off

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 07:54:51 PM

Guys we have the blockchain.info globe up in the booth now. Send some transactions to your self or whatever to make this thing pop like popcorn!

http://blockchain.info/new-transactions?format=webgl

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 08:39:40 PM

Guys we have the blockchain.info globe up in the booth now. Send some transactions to your self or whatever to make this thing pop like popcorn!

That inspired me to donate a little to both the bitcoin faucet (https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/) and blockexplorer. I decided to just make two single-transaction donations instead of the intended one multiple-transaction donation to avoid contributing to blockchain bloat.

Just my two pops.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 02:09:08 AM

I can hear it, but not see it. Using chrome.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 02:43:37 AM

I can hear it, but not see it. Using chrome.

I can't hear it, but hey, I can see it (using Firefox!) And it's very cool. Cheesy

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 07:58:19 PM

Please give us some update, how is it going over there, any more cool stories from the show?
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 08:23:56 PM

Today is the last day of the show.  It's been a very busy and exhausting 4 days, but we have talked to alot of really big decision makers at some major companies.  These deals will take time to follow up on and complete. but look for an explosion of bitcoin in 2012, in ways you can't imagine.  some of these ideas we had not even thought of!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:40:09 PM

Today is the last day of the show.  It's been a very busy and exhausting 4 days, but we have talked to alot of really big decision makers at some major companies.  These deals will take time to follow up on and complete. but look for an explosion of bitcoin in 2012, in ways you can't imagine.  some of these ideas we had not even thought of!

Grrr! You tease! Wink

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 08:49:38 PM

Grrr! You tease! Wink

I don't care how much you tease us, provided the big reveal isn't something along the lines of: We're all going to Pattaya!!!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 09:13:29 PM

Today is the last day of the show.  It's been a very busy and exhausting 4 days, but we have talked to alot of really big decision makers at some major companies.  These deals will take time to follow up on and complete. but look for an explosion of bitcoin in 2012, in ways you can't imagine.  some of these ideas we had not even thought of!

Grrr! You tease! Wink

I don't care how much you tease us, provided the big reveal isn't something along the lines of: We're all going to Pattaya!!!

Since I was there and went to dinner with these guys, I got to hear what some of these things were.  Some of them were not things we would want to post in the forums - about how X person at Y company was totally interested - as we anticipate that those very same people will be browsing these forums and aren't going to want to see their own name in our brags before they even get a chance to do their research and take the temperature of what people think of Bitcoin when they get back home.

For example, I understood that somebody responsible for managing the point-of-sale networks for large chain of truck stops had a lot to ask.  Do I dare say who in the forums?  Of course not, my interest in not alienating them by having them see their own company name in our forums exceeds my interest in satiating everyone's desire to know who it is.

I don't expect an influx of 4chan newbies suddenly dumping bazillions of dollars into Bitcoin just having heard of it for the first time due to their first encounter at CES.  If they had never heard of Bitcoin, their first impression from seeing a Bitcoin booth is that it's another company just trying to peddle a whiz bang product, and CES is overflowing with of those.  (I did notice though, that people who understood and used BitTorrent were much quicker at grasping the magic sight-unseen than those who did not - based on that observation, I am seriously considering a window sticker on my car: "Bitcoin will do to money and banking what BitTorrent did to music and movies.")

But on the other hand, what keeps me excited, is the people who came up to the booth and say things like "Hey! I've heard of Bitcoin. I don't yet know what it is, but I heard <whatever>, and want to ask questions, because we do <this> and <that>, and I was wondering if Bitcoin could help us do a better job of <this>".  These are people who are already well-situated in a career where their buyoff on Bitcoin can be a major part of a big company's decision to take a real look at it.  Those are the ones who will make a serious difference when they get home.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 09:56:45 PM

I am seriously considering a window sticker on my car: "Bitcoin will do to money and banking what BitTorrent did to music and movies."

Know of anywhere I could buy this with my BTC? I'd love to have one.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 11:39:21 PM

I am seriously considering a window sticker on my car: "Bitcoin will do to money and banking what BitTorrent did to music and movies."

Know of anywhere I could buy this with my BTC? I'd love to have one.

My wife owns equipment that produces vinyl decals, we could probably swing a few if there's significant interest.  We can make them any width... assuming I can get her to not object to putting it on the back of my car. =)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Shuai

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 12:05:34 AM

Nice pictures, and well done.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 12:50:04 AM

I hate bumper stickers. That said, I would purchase a few of these and put them on each car I own, tastefully in the lower center of the rear window. So, I would prefer if the sticky part is on the same side as the message. I do see you said window sticker instead of bumper sticker!  Cheesy

These wouldn't be "bumper stickers".  They would be letter cutouts that go on the window.  Not printed.  Each letter is its own sticker of solid white color, applied from a backing sheet.

Same concept as this: but not quite the size. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?302547-My-new-ron-paul-window-sticker!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: