Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:01:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOIN booth at CES Las Vegas! Tell all reporters!  (Read 23487 times)
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 01:22:07 AM

Today is the last day of the show.  It's been a very busy and exhausting 4 days, but we have talked to alot of really big decision makers at some major companies.  These deals will take time to follow up on and complete. but look for an explosion of bitcoin in 2012, in ways you can't imagine.  some of these ideas we had not even thought of!

Grrr! You tease! Wink

I don't care how much you tease us, provided the big reveal isn't something along the lines of: We're all going to Pattaya!!!

Since I was there and went to dinner with these guys, I got to hear what some of these things were.  Some of them were not things we would want to post in the forums - about how X person at Y company was totally interested - as we anticipate that those very same people will be browsing these forums and aren't going to want to see their own name in our brags before they even get a chance to do their research and take the temperature of what people think of Bitcoin when they get back home.

For example, I understood that somebody responsible for managing the point-of-sale networks for large chain of truck stops had a lot to ask.  Do I dare say who in the forums?  Of course not, my interest in not alienating them by having them see their own company name in our forums exceeds my interest in satiating everyone's desire to know who it is.

I don't expect an influx of 4chan newbies suddenly dumping bazillions of dollars into Bitcoin just having heard of it for the first time due to their first encounter at CES.  If they had never heard of Bitcoin, their first impression from seeing a Bitcoin booth is that it's another company just trying to peddle a whiz bang product, and CES is overflowing with of those.  (I did notice though, that people who understood and used BitTorrent were much quicker at grasping the magic sight-unseen than those who did not - based on that observation, I am seriously considering a window sticker on my car: "Bitcoin will do to money and banking what BitTorrent did to music and movies.")

But on the other hand, what keeps me excited, is the people who came up to the booth and say things like "Hey! I've heard of Bitcoin. I don't yet know what it is, but I heard <whatever>, and want to ask questions, because we do <this> and <that>, and I was wondering if Bitcoin could help us do a better job of <this>".  These are people who are already well-situated in a career where their buyoff on Bitcoin can be a major part of a big company's decision to take a real look at it.  Those are the ones who will make a serious difference when they get home.

Speaking of truck stops....I hadn't even thought of the ComCheck aspect of Bitcoin.  That would be a market that has not been tapped yet.  Big issues come from all the truckers needing emergency cash...hence the ComCheck....Bitcoin could virtually replace/secure the whole process.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krusaderx

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 04:15:35 AM

Speaking of truck stops....I hadn't even thought of the ComCheck aspect of Bitcoin.  That would be a market that has not been tapped yet.  Big issues come from all the truckers needing emergency cash...hence the ComCheck....Bitcoin could virtually replace/secure the whole process.

I worked in IT for a trucking company once.  ComChecks (ComData) and fuel cards were like fraud-magnets on the dispatch side.  Some drivers were paid almost entirely in advances via ComChecks.  Fees are outrageous on both sides of the transaction, and the truck stops even have to spend money to host the ComCheck / fuel card terminals.  I can't believe Visa/PayPal/Western Union hasn't broken into the ComCheck thing, as it'd have to be lucrative even at half the fees.

Bitcoin could easily be used to transfer value to a driver from their dispatcher, but the truck stop doesn't accept BTC for diesel.  Need to integrate a bit-pay type service into this equation.

Every truck driver has a cell phone, and almost all of them have a smart-phone (a backup-GPS+Inet+games is too high-utility to pass up, esp if you get stuck at a dock for hours waiting for load/unload).

Killing off ComChecks would kill off a seriously evil drain on the transportation industry.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 04:18:11 AM

I worked in IT for a trucking company once.  ComChecks (ComData) and fuel cards were like fraud-magnets on the dispatch side.  Some drivers were paid almost entirely in advances via ComChecks.  Fees are outrageous on both sides of the transaction, and the truck stops even have to spend money to host the ComCheck / fuel card terminals.  I can't believe Visa/PayPal/Western Union hasn't broken into the ComCheck thing, as it'd have to be lucrative even at half the fees.

Bitcoin could easily be used to transfer value to a driver from their dispatcher, but the truck stop doesn't accept BTC for diesel.  Need to integrate a bit-pay type service into this equation.

Every truck driver has a cell phone, and almost all of them have a smart-phone (a backup-GPS+Inet+games is too high-utility to pass up, esp if you get stuck at a dock for hours waiting for load/unload).

Killing off ComChecks would kill off a seriously evil drain on the transportation industry.

Love this idea.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 04:25:51 AM

Love this idea.

That, in of itself, would lower costs for all products across the board--perhaps globally. And that's only if the savings is passed down to the consumers, otherwise those at the top should see the beauty in its design and take full advantage of Bitcoin----and pocket the PROFITTTTTTTT!!!

~Bruno~

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 05:33:18 AM

That, in of itself, would lower costs for all products across the board--perhaps globally.
US-ians are funny people, just like in that sentence above. How about you guys upgrade your Constitution to allow uniform collection of per-state sales taxes? Large segment of the interstate transportation industry exists purely for tax-avoidance purposes by double-shipping. Why worry about a pittance of fuel-fee skimming?

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 05:38:43 AM

That, in of itself, would lower costs for all products across the board--perhaps globally.
US-ians are funny people, just like in that sentence above. How about you guys upgrade your Constitution to allow uniform collection of per-state sales taxes? Large segment of the interstate transportation industry exists purely for tax-avoidance purposes by double-shipping. Why worry about a pittance of fuel-fee skimming?

[Citation Needed]

farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 07:21:26 AM

..........based on that observation, I am seriously considering a window sticker on my car: "Bitcoin will do to money and banking what BitTorrent did to music and movies.")

What BitTorrent did to movies and music is ILLEGAL.  Not as bad, but that example is like the "silk road" example we have to hear about over and over in the negative press.

Using the email/standard mail example is much more accurate although not as "sexy"

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 07:28:22 AM

I still think we are marketing to the wrong types of people. Nerds use bitcoin, so we should market more to nerds.

On that note: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56891.msg691128#msg691128

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 07:39:26 AM

What BitTorrent did to movies and music is ILLEGAL.  Not as bad, but that example is like the "silk road" example we have to hear about over and over in the negative press.

Using the email/standard mail example is much more accurate although not as "sexy"

If BitTorrent is so illegal, why is the BitTorrent company still around? http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=BitTorrent_company - this is an argument like guns don't kill, people kill.

If you're trying to explain what a gun does to someone who has never heard of one, do you avoid telling them they are useful for killing people simply because that's illegal?  Or because you are afraid you'll be promoting murder?  No, not if your purpose is to convey an understanding of what makes a gun valuable.  Not all torrents are illegal either.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 07:42:57 AM

I still think we are marketing to the wrong types of people. Nerds use bitcoin, so we should market more to nerds.

specifically, we should market more to gamers.
they already use virtual currencies, half-finished software and buy stuff online.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 08:42:54 AM

What BitTorrent did to movies and music is ILLEGAL.  Not as bad, but that example is like the "silk road" example we have to hear about over and over in the negative press.

If BitTorrent is so illegal, why is the BitTorrent company still around? http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=BitTorrent_company - this is an argument like guns don't kill, people kill.

If you're trying to explain what a gun does to someone who has never heard of one, do you avoid telling them they are useful for killing people simply because that's illegal?  Or because you are afraid you'll be promoting murder?  No, not if your purpose is to convey an understanding of what makes a gun valuable.  Not all torrents are illegal either.
Yeah, but the vast majority of torrents are illegal, and they certainly have a negative connotation in the mind of most anyone who doesn't actively use it.  It's a correlation to be avoided.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 09:03:34 AM

I didn't say bittorrent is Illegal. The service can and is used also for legal reasons. (just like guns, drugs and cash......)

But your movie/music sentence DOES imply the illegal uses of bittorrent.. 

I'm not a prude and I have seen movies from torrents as well (mostly junk that i would never see in the theaters...)
But i still don't go about promoting the use of bittorrent for such purposes.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 10:54:58 PM

Since I was there and went to dinner with these guys, I got to hear what some of these things were.  Some of them were not things we would want to post in the forums - about how X person at Y company was totally interested - as we anticipate that those very same people will be browsing these forums and aren't going to want to see their own name in our brags before they even get a chance to do their research and take the temperature of what people think of Bitcoin when they get back home.

For example, I understood that somebody responsible for managing the point-of-sale networks for large chain of truck stops had a lot to ask.  Do I dare say who in the forums?  Of course not, my interest in not alienating them by having them see their own company name in our forums exceeds my interest in satiating everyone's desire to know who it is.

I don't expect an influx of 4chan newbies suddenly dumping bazillions of dollars into Bitcoin just having heard of it for the first time due to their first encounter at CES.  If they had never heard of Bitcoin, their first impression from seeing a Bitcoin booth is that it's another company just trying to peddle a whiz bang product, and CES is overflowing with of those.  (I did notice though, that people who understood and used BitTorrent were much quicker at grasping the magic sight-unseen than those who did not - based on that observation, I am seriously considering a window sticker on my car: "Bitcoin will do to money and banking what BitTorrent did to music and movies.")

But on the other hand, what keeps me excited, is the people who came up to the booth and say things like "Hey! I've heard of Bitcoin. I don't yet know what it is, but I heard <whatever>, and want to ask questions, because we do <this> and <that>, and I was wondering if Bitcoin could help us do a better job of <this>".  These are people who are already well-situated in a career where their buyoff on Bitcoin can be a major part of a big company's decision to take a real look at it.  Those are the ones who will make a serious difference when they get home.

Thanks Mike for your help in the booth!  We did speak to pretty much every major bank, VC firm, and retailer that you could think of.  Most of them specifically seeked us out.  Many of them were very interested in us, and some of them specifically said "this is the most innovative thing we have seen at this show."  That is quite impressive considering all the gadgets that the media is all hyped up about.

Square was getting alot of attention at the show as well.  When people came to our booth after they talked to Square, they were really impressed with what bitcoins could do.  We have, hands down, the most business friendly payment system in the world.  We got that point across to some very influential people this week.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

We have, hands down, the most business friendly payment system in the world.  We got that point across to some very influential people this week.

soooo, when can we begin to purchase shares of Bit-Pay on GLBSE or other stock exchange?  Grin

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 11:45:12 PM

We have, hands down, the most business friendly payment system in the world.  We got that point across to some very influential people this week.

soooo, when can we begin to purchase shares of Bit-Pay on GLBSE or other stock exchange?  Grin

+1

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 03:38:45 PM

To Booth Sponsors:

next year you ought to make a "Call to Bitcoiners" to descend upon the CES to man the booth.

the higher numbers alone would attract newcomers but having the extra manpower there to answer questions of the newbies would be more efficient.  during slow periods, Bitcoiners could fan out across the floor to other booths with flyers or handouts.

its a built in curious audience hunting for new innovations and would provide the Bitcoin community a Mission and a sense of purpose in an ideal setting with high numbers.

the partying after would be improved too!

AND we'd all get to meet Alison!

in fact, now that i think about it, what about the Apple Conference?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 03:58:00 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2012, 04:19:53 PM by cypherdoc

in fact, now that i think about it more, i think future Bitcoin Conferences should be piggybacked onto other major conferences like CES or the Apple Conference.

attendees and sponsors could contribute to the cost of a booth which would provide major visible publicity for Bitcoin.  the interaction with other non Bitcoin attendees would be an opportunity to educate and expose large numbers of newbies to the concept.  Bitcoiners could even hold strategy meetings at the beginning of each day to coordinate "The Message" and be sure everyone is on the same wavelength.

certain Bitcoiners could be assigned to "Manning the Floor" spreading out to all corners of the conference floor with flyers, handouts, stickers, laptops, Androids, etc to demonstrate the various clients.  we could go out in pairs and and demonstrate the speed and ease of sending and receiving a few Bitcoins.

the comradery and spirit developed amongst Bitcoiners sharing a Mission and Purpose would be highly beneficial as well.

the Bitcoin Conference would be held next door in another facility and attendees could track back and forth btwn talks and attending the booth.

what a great way for Bitcoiners to meet each other and begin networking with each other and newbies.

edit:  booth workers could don Bitcoin T shirts.  perhaps Bitcoin merchants could bring their wares to sell altho this would require rules and a coordinated plan.

the key thing is matching the numbers of CES attendees with numbers of Bitcoin volunteers.

edit:  who knows, the Bitcoin conference could even get some spillover effect from CES attendees.
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 04:13:01 PM

Who's Square?

GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 06:07:39 PM

Who's Square?

Here you go.

BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 10:03:22 PM

To Booth Sponsors:

next year you ought to make a "Call to Bitcoiners" to descend upon the CES to man the booth.

the higher numbers alone would attract newcomers but having the extra manpower there to answer questions of the newbies would be more efficient.  during slow periods, Bitcoiners could fan out across the floor to other booths with flyers or handouts.

its a built in curious audience hunting for new innovations and would provide the Bitcoin community a Mission and a sense of purpose in an ideal setting with high numbers.

the partying after would be improved too!

AND we'd all get to meet Alison!

in fact, now that i think about it, what about the Apple Conference?

Great idea!  This year we had Roger Ver from Bit Instant and Memory Dealers help with the booth.  Casascius was also here for 2 days helping in the booth.  And Julian (Tuxavant) helped out in the booth as well. But more help is always welcome!

Sometimes the show does not allow soliciting outside your booth space.  And they only allow a certain number of booth personnel.  But next year we will try to get multiple bitcoin booths and get in the same area.  A booth costs around $6000 for a 10x10 space at CES, incase you are wondering.  Give this another year and we could have a number of bitcoin companies in a position to get booths!

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: