Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:24:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How difficult it is to actually trace someone's transaction?  (Read 1924 times)
skooter (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:56:09 AM

So, let's say I scammed some bitcoins and want to wash them, isn't it virtually impossible to trace?

All I need to do is deposit the coins onto some web wallet, and withdraw them, and I get different coins, since most web wallets don't keep the coins tied to your account on the actual cash in address. (I've tried this. After I withdrew my coins, the original coins I sent are still unspent, so I got totally different coins).

Even if someone wanted to trace it, they don't know *where* I sent the coins to, since sites don't exactly publish a list of bitcoin addresses they control. And when I cash them out, nobody would know that I even sent coins to an exchange, because again, anyone could own that address. And from what I've seen, most sites don't pool coins into a centralized known address, they keep them distributed over many address and just spend the outputs when they need to, so unless you make a withdrawl from mt gox and get coins from a particular address, you wouldn't know mt gox controls that address.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LAMarcellus

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:51:37 AM

So, let's say I scammed some bitcoins and.....

We're not fond of scammers here....     Angry
GFY

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. – Albert Camus
jdun

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:27:50 AM

There are sites like bitcoinfog that will put your coins in a tumbler. If a coin washer was not used, then in theory the transactions could be trace, but I'm not sure.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62
skooter (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 07:02:01 AM

We're not fond of scammers here....     Angry
GFY

Uh, bitcoin is like THE PERFECT currency for scams.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 07:27:24 AM

You mean its more perfect than using cash?

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
mintodev

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 07:34:56 AM

So, let's say I scammed some bitcoins and want to wash them, isn't it virtually impossible to trace?

All I need to do is deposit the coins onto some web wallet, and withdraw them, and I get different coins, since most web wallets don't keep the coins tied to your account on the actual cash in address. (I've tried this. After I withdrew my coins, the original coins I sent are still unspent, so I got totally different coins).

Even if someone wanted to trace it, they don't know *where* I sent the coins to, since sites don't exactly publish a list of bitcoin addresses they control. And when I cash them out, nobody would know that I even sent coins to an exchange, because again, anyone could own that address. And from what I've seen, most sites don't pool coins into a centralized known address, they keep them distributed over many address and just spend the outputs when they need to, so unless you make a withdrawl from mt gox and get coins from a particular address, you wouldn't know mt gox controls that address.

Are you giving tips to scam or are you asking question?

Because i see that you just posted the hints for people to scam, lol Smiley
skooter (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 08:03:32 AM

Are you giving tips to scam or are you asking question?

Because i see that you just posted the hints for people to scam, lol Smiley

Im wondering is there any realistic way to track the coins? Even if places keep records, nobody would know who to go to for said records.

All I posted was how to wash coins.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 08:14:23 AM

Well, if you scammed some coins & you want to wash them, follow this easy guide...

1) Transfer the coins to 1gofuckyourself4kS34F3ScW4dx

2) Sit back while I plough your mum, fuckhead.

It's Just that easy!

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 08:51:38 AM

Well, if you scammed some coins & you want to wash them, follow this easy guide...

1) Transfer the coins to 1gofuckyourself4kS34F3ScW4dx

2) Sit back while I plough your mum, fuckhead.

It's Just that easy!

You are a hero member.

I cant believe you give such answers.

Shame on you!

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 08:55:04 AM

You wanna scam , GTFO
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:12:00 AM

You are a hero member.

Shame on you!

A Hero member is a person nonetheless and like any person on this forum is entitled to his opinion. I don't know why there is some misconception that Hero members have to be nicer, more knowledgable and ethical than the rest of the forum base. Some are - but as evidence will show you some aren't.
zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:13:21 AM

I have a great idea. If want your scam coins to be untraceable, sent them to gox.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
tzortz

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:17:34 AM

You are a hero member.

Shame on you!

A Hero member is a person nonetheless and like any person on this forum is entitled to his opinion. I don't know why there is some misconception that Hero members have to be nicer, more knowledgable and ethical than the rest of the forum base. Some are - but as evidence will show you some aren't.

You are right.

But, wouldn't expect anyone in this forum answering like a 10 year old bully.
Especially when he is a senior / hero member.

All is Mine!

Light

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:22:07 AM

You are right.

But, wouldn't expect a hero member asnwering like a 10 year old bully.

Yes and no. Some members have a propensity to be quite a bit more blunt when it comes to their views. Just a part of human nature.

tzortz

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:32:56 AM

You are right.

Yes and no. Some members have a propensity to be quite a bit more blunt when it comes to their views. Just a part of human nature.

You know, I am new here, and as happening to all discussion communities, I give more emphasis on senior or "hero" as called answers.

But this case degrades this point of thinking.

ps. So "older and wiser " does not apply here?

All is Mine!

Light

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:50:44 AM

You know, I am new here, and as happening to all discussion communities, I give more emphasis on senior or "hero" as called answers.

Sr and Hero posts on technical matters are in general more sound, in particular pay attention to DannyHamilton & DeathandTaxes as I've found that their technical responses as they are well informed. Most (and I emphasise most) VIP/Donators are also very technically competent.

As far as matters regarding ethics some members no matter what rank they hold are far more vocal as this case demonstrates. What I'm saying is that it's best to avoid making sweeping generalisations about members - don't lump all Sr and Hero members in the same group. Trust me at every level here and society in general there will be people you don't like/disagree with but it doesn't mean everyone at that level is just as bad.

On your final point, I only speak for myself when I state that - not everyone on this forum/rest of the world. I'd like to think I'm not so arrogant that I know everyone that well.
DobZombie

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:51:14 AM

You are right.

Sorry if I was a tad blunt (read:sledgehammer  Wink ) but I read your post as "I scammed someone and I want to launder the coin".
The answer I gave was only directed to that question, not you buddy!

If you were attempting to ask "If I got scammed, is there a way for the scammer to make the scammed coins untraceable?"
Then the answer to that is "yes"

There are several ways to launder coins.

1) Coinjoin
2) bitmixer.io
3) bitcoinfog

and many more... (google those words for more info)

again, if you're not a scammer asking a scammy question, then I apologize. Nearly EVERYONE in this forum has been scammed, and it can make us a tad grumpy   Roll Eyes

QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 11:34:38 AM

I strenuously object to associating CoinJoin as only a means to launder money.  CoinJoin was started to give bitcoin users a way to increase their financial privacy level.  CoinJoin != money laundering.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 11:37:45 AM

I strenuously object to associating CoinJoin as only a means to launder money.  CoinJoin was started to give bitcoin users a way to increase their financial privacy level.  CoinJoin != money laundering.

Just a matter of time before the tyrants formally define everything=money laundering.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
DobZombie

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 12:44:36 PM

I used the term "money Laundering" pretty loosely Tongue

I was trying to list some examples of how one could thwart tracing bitcoin transactions.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: