Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:02:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How difficult it is to actually trace someone's transaction?  (Read 1925 times)
jparsley

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:29:26 PM

Exchangers

please unban me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
skooter (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 11:07:12 PM

You know, you guys are awful sensitive to the topic of scamming when you're supporting a currency that basically has all the properties an internet scammer wants out of a payment system.

- The victim has zero recourse
- No identifying information is required to open an account and receive payments
- The ability to make transactions untraceable / extremely difficult to trace.

And btw, the info isn't for me. I have a friend who's about to shut down a website and take off with everyone's coins and claim the site got hacked, so he wants to make sure none of it's going to come back to him.
tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 11:31:17 PM

You know, you guys are awful sensitive to the topic of scamming when you're supporting a currency that basically has all the properties an internet scammer wants out of a payment system.

- No identifying information is required to open an account and receive payments

And btw, the info isn't for me. I have a friend who's about to shut down a website and take off with everyone's coins and claim the site got hacked, so he wants to make sure none of it's going to come back to him.

So, whats the website?   Roll Eyes

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
skooter (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 11:47:35 PM

Can't say.

Doesn't matter anyway. Nobody would believe anything I say anyway, since I have zero credibility here.
tzortz

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 12:06:18 AM

Can't say.

Doesn't matter anyway. Nobody would believe anything I say anyway, since I have zero credibility here.

So, why say?

All is Mine!

skooter (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 12:28:17 AM

Can't say.

So, why say?

I'm giving the context behind why I'm asking about bitcoin traceability. That's all.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 01:17:57 AM

Pretty shitty friend you got there man. And why exactly would you be helping him in this (on the assumption you guys aren't one and the same)...

Of course we're going to be sensitive - what your 'friend' is trying to do is unethical and morally wrong.
skooter (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 01:27:18 AM

Pretty shitty friend you got there man. And why exactly would you be helping him in this (on the assumption you guys aren't one and the same)...

Of course we're going to be sensitive - what your 'friend' is trying to do is unethical and morally wrong.

Because I'm getting paid to.

And gimmie a break. The majority of people here are pumping bitcoin for the interests of their holdings going up in value.
RomertL

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 04:09:47 AM

And gimmie a break. The majority of people here are pumping bitcoin for the interests of their holdings going up in value.

Are you fucking shitting me??? Are you seriously comparing scamming with speculating to justify what you do? Scammers and the people helping them are the lowest life on earth and deserve all bad that could happen to them. I really hope your friend gets caught and you get into trouble for helping him if this is indeed what you're doing.

If it sounds like I've gotten scammed of Bitcoin at some point, no. But I do hate scammers.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████▀
░░░░░░░▄████░░████████▀
░░▄█████████████████▀
░░░████████████████▀
░░░░██████████████▀
░░░░░██████░░█████▀
░░░░░░██████████▀
░░░░░░░████████▀
░░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░░░░░░░█▀

▄████████████▀▀█▄
████▀▀▀▀▀░░░▄ ░██
██▄░░░░░░░▄▀░░███
████▄░░░▄▀░░░████
██████▄█░░░░█████
████████░▄░██████
▀███████████████▀
▄████▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▄
████░▄▀▀▀▀▀▄░████
██▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀██
█▀░░░█▀█░█▀█░░░▀█
█░░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░░█
█▄░░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░░██
▀██▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██▀

▄█▀███████▀▀████▄
██░░▀███▀░░░░▀▄██
███░░░░▀░░░░░░▄██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████▄░░░░░░░░▄██
██▄░░░░░░░░░▄████
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████▀░▀▀▀▀░▀████
████░░░░░░░░░░███
████▄░░░░░░░░▄███
█▀████▄▄░░▄▄█████
██▄▀▀▀▀░░░░██████
▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██░██
██░▄███████▄░█░██
██░█▄▄▄▄▄███░█░██
██░▀███████▀░████
███▄▄░░░▄▄▄▄█████
▀█████▄█████████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░▄▀█▀██▄░▀███
██░▄█▀░▀░▀▀██▄░██
██░███░▀▀▀ ▀██░██
██░███░████░██░██
██▄░█▄░▄░▄▄▄▀░▄██
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 06:18:06 AM

And we're failing spectacularly, because our holdings are only FALLING in value.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:41:41 AM

Be aware that everything you do in Bitcoin will be recorded forever. There will be no statute of limitations on crimes involving Bitcoins.

Ask yourself this; will there ever be a way to track Bitcoins back to you?

The answer is undoubtedly yes.

Don't do it. Karma will come back with a vengeance and it might be several years from now when you least expect it. Imagine getting your life just right, then losing everything because of something dumb you did on a network that stores transaction history indefinitely...

Be smart.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
skooter (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:43:35 AM

And we're failing spectacularly, because our holdings are only FALLING in value.

What the fuck are you talking about? Bitcoin's up big time since 1 year ago.
skooter (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 08:13:35 AM

Be aware that everything you do in Bitcoin will be recorded forever. There will be no statute of limitations on crimes involving Bitcoins.

Don't do it. Karma will come back with a vengeance and it might be several years from now when you least expect it. Imagine getting your life just right, then losing everything because of something dumb you did on a network that stores transaction history indefinitely...

Be smart.

All right, here's the issue. So basically, the site he's running is unprofitable, and has been unprofitable since the start, and he's been using customer funds to pay for operating expenses. So at this point the site's under water, and it doesn't look like things are going to turn around. At this moment, he has about 50% of customer funds left. He also borrowed money from people (IRL) to start up the site. Even if he wanted to return people's money, he couldn't. And he'd rather rip off a bunch of people on the internet then owe people money IRL, so he's going to take off with the coins and abandon the site.

It's not a lot of coins either. He has 20 - 25 coins left of the 45 - 50 coins that are supposed to be in people's accounts at his site.

Honestly, it's nothing new. This exact scenario has played out countless times with bitcoin related sites. Site starts up, gains some trust, uses customer funds to pay expenses thinking they'll turn a profit soon. Site never turns a profit, ends up under water, and takes off with what's left.
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 08:52:27 AM

Be smart.

All right, here's the issue. So basically, the site he's running is unprofitable, and has been unprofitable since the start, and he's been using customer funds to pay for operating expenses. So at this point the site's under water, and it doesn't look like things are going to turn around. At this moment, he has about 50% of customer funds left. He also borrowed money from people (IRL) to start up the site. Even if he wanted to return people's money, he couldn't. And he'd rather rip off a bunch of people on the internet then owe people money IRL, so he's going to take off with the coins and abandon the site.

It's not a lot of coins either. He has 20 - 25 coins left of the 45 - 50 coins that are supposed to be in people's accounts at his site.

Honestly, it's nothing new. This exact scenario has played out countless times with bitcoin related sites. Site starts up, gains some trust, uses customer funds to pay expenses thinking they'll turn a profit soon. Site never turns a profit, ends up under water, and takes off with what's left.

When I first read this thread I thought you were asking a legitimate question and some of the responses were a bit over the top.

Then I thought you were being "clever" by using the Mt. Gox situation as some kind of backdrop (ie. a rhetorical point where your "friend" is in fact Mt. Gox).

Now I'm thinking you might actually be serious. Please tell me you haven't come on to Bitcointalk to work out how you/your friend can steal bitcoins without being traced  Huh
icet208

Activity: 762

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:16:42 AM

fckers...we must get rid of this fking scammers...theyr pulling bitcoin down...many have lost fate in bitcoin because of scammers and hackers..
tzortz

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:45:11 AM

Heh, it's amazing how naive some people still are.

A few months ago I found some noob who was having trouble with his wallet and was dumb enough to let me have remote access to his computer.

You can guess what happened after that.

This is what he said to another thread.

This guy is a TROLL!   Angry

All is Mine!

FUEPA

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 02:54:45 PM

* I don't want the merchant to know I paid him from my 10,000+ btc stash
* I was one of the few who were able to withdraw from mtgox and don't want someone to trace my coins back to gox.

How difficult would it be to trace these coins if I first put them through shared coin?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: