Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:06:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Web site to encourage creation of worldwide bitcoin agents  (Read 1927 times)
ffe (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 06:52:50 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2011, 07:33:04 PM by ffe

I’m not a web developer so I wanted to describe here a useful website someone may want to implement.

The goal is to make it easy to move cash into bitcoin worldwide. The best early solution is to have one or more agents in every city that can personally take delivery of cash and transfer bitcoin to the user.

•   Agents are independent and use their own capital for the initial purchase of bitcoin
•   Agents would make a commission
•   Agents would have cash in hand before transfering bitcoin to user
•   Users would be dealing with a local agent, maybe even someone they know
•   Agents are willing to lose anonymity. Users are not. [Edited to add this]

I propose a website that allows agents to register themselves as willing to sell bitcoin. It would show their location and the conditions they are willing to work with. This may include their cut, the maximums per transaction, whether they’re willing to buy bitcoin, and form of payment (checks accepted for example).

The website could provide support to agents:

•   Advertising
•   Information on how best to convert the agent’s local currency into bitcoin at the current time

The web site could provide support to users:

•   Locating nearby agents
•   Tracking agent ratings as feedback from users

My vision is that in a few years even third world cities would have agents and users with smartphones who can transfer bitcoins with ease. The users could then transfer their bitcoin to relatives or friends in other cities/countries who would find it easy to convert it to local cash.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 07:06:28 PM

http://tradebitcoin.com/
ffe (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 07:17:58 PM

Nice.

It doesn't seen to differentiate between users and agents. If it did that maybe it could be open to users without them having to sign up. (They would sign up to rate the agents of course.)
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 07:21:57 PM

yeah, functionality is quite restricted. Would be nice to have some update on the status of that site.
ffe (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 07:30:33 PM

I had trouble signing up and just finally gave up. Ah well.. not what I was hoping for. Certainly not third world friendly.

Agents are willing to not be anonymous. User may want to remain anonymous.

Site should be strongly configured around ease of use for the user. For example first page they see should be an attempt to throw up a Google map based on the site's best guess as to the location of the user with nearby agents shown on the map.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 08:08:36 PM

Agents are willing to not be anonymous. User may want to remain anonymous.

Anyone willing to call themselves an 'agent' will probably have to implement KYC rules or get in trouble for letting their users trade anonymously.

It might work in some countries.

Anonymous

April 11, 2011, 05:46:58 AM

What would really help is to provide a way for agents to get bitcoins at a market discount . Buying coins at market prices then adding profit margin means customers shy away from it.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 12:41:41 PM

It will be great if something like this could be added directly on the official Bitcoin homepage Smiley

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Anonymous

April 11, 2011, 01:20:43 PM

Buying coins at market prices then adding profit margin means customers shy away from it.

I don't agree with this statement. The agent adds so much convenience that customers will be willing to pay a small premium. Just as currency exchangers have different prices for e.g. cash and travellers checks, so people will expect to pay different prices for online exchanging and in-person cash exchanging.

But in any case the agent deals in large quantities of bitcoin, and will be able to get them cheaper than by buying on the open market. Agents are likely to be net sellers of bitcoin, so they need to come to an arrangement with their local bitcoin-accepting merchants (who are likely to be net acceptors of bitcoin, and have lots to sell on a regular basis). The merchants will prefer to have a regular and reliable buyer for their bitcoins, rather than redeeming them on an ad-hoc basis trade-by-trade at some online exchange.

If you have to buy bitcoins from another country thats an automatic 2-3 % before you even start .
slpkeys

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:21:27 AM

BitcoinAgents.com domain can be for sale if someone is interested in building the site.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:13:51 AM

BitcoinAgents.com domain can be for sale if someone is interested in building the site.

not sure why you dragged up an old thread. but localbitcoins.com was the solution of 2011

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: