Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:11:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius-miners: Do you agree with what is done with your hashing power?  (Read 6801 times)
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:29:27 PM

TL;DR

I don't know what happened here, and frankly I don't care. That said, pools are the bane of Bitcoin and anyone mining in them can only blame themselves for misuse of their hashing power.

We have the technology to mine with the benefits of a pool without the drawbacks. Maybe it's time to put the decentralization back into Bitcoin mining?

+1 to everything said.

Centralized pools need to die.

agreed.  my backup is solo, and I dont hesitate to switch to solo when things look awry

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:01:25 PM

So another unsupported claim to "support" your unsupported claim.

Ive seen the posts where he took "credit" for taking it down. You will have to forgive me for  being too lazy to find them.
 I havent seen him admit he used his pool's hashing power, but thats a fair assumption to make, as I doubt he (or almost any individual) has enough hashing power of himself.

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:05:14 PM

Ive seen the posts where he took "credit" for taking it down. You will have to forgive me for  being too lazy to find them.
 I havent seen him admit he used his pool's hashing power, but thats a fair assumption to make, as I doubt he (or almost any individual) has enough hashing power of himself.
Yes, but gmaxwell is using the Merged Mining angle to legitimize this attack (that is, if the pool WAS found to be used).....OR on the other hand....coming from Luke, that this actually WAS an attack, in which case, only Luke's own personal resources were used.

They all seem to have conflicting defences and excuses.

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 09:30:26 PM

Merged mining only means eglesius pool members wouldnt have been penalized by luke's actions, as in, they wouldnt have suffered BTC or NMC losses. It doesnt mean those pool members didnt involuntarily contribute to the attack on coilcoin.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2012, 12:50:05 AM

Also— please take care here, Luke did not roll back anyone's transactions or double-spend or anything like that.  He's simply mining all the blocks and not processing more transactions.

Assuming the first statement is true (which is quite the assumption), the second is hilarious!

It's ok to run a DDOS on alt coins now?

Yes it appears so and misuse your users hash power to do it, amazing is it not? The longer this goes on with no reactions against it by the people in a position to make a difference shows just exactly what they are like as well. In their lack of action they show their support for what has been done, so are no better than he who has done it in my books. Their obvious lip service to the supposed goals of the bitcoin project of an open and free environment ring as hollow as that lame defense of his actions you quote.

What is your proof that he used miner's resources?

He admitted it in the irc logs that had been posted but since deleted by the mods in support of his actions on here. So you can play your BS proof game elsewhere as it will never see the light of day on this forum and you know that.

Besides the IRC logs which are posted on this board which support that claim, on page 6 of the following thread Luke-JR says:
"CoiledCoin now closed. Have a nice day."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56675.40

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 12:50:52 AM

Also— please take care here, Luke did not roll back anyone's transactions or double-spend or anything like that.  He's simply mining all the blocks and not processing more transactions.

Assuming the first statement is true (which is quite the assumption), the second is hilarious!

It's ok to run a DDOS on alt coins now?

Yes it appears so and misuse your users hash power to do it, amazing is it not? The longer this goes on with no reactions against it by the people in a position to make a difference shows just exactly what they are like as well. In their lack of action they show their support for what has been done, so are no better than he who has done it in my books. Their obvious lip service to the supposed goals of the bitcoin project of an open and free environment ring as hollow as that lame defense of his actions you quote.

What is your proof that he used miner's resources?

He admitted it in the irc logs that had been posted but since deleted by the mods in support of his actions on here. So you can play your BS proof game elsewhere as it will never see the light of day on this forum and you know that.

Besides the IRC logs which are posted on this board which support that claim, on page 6 of the following thread Luke-JR says:
"CoiledCoin now closed. Have a nice day."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56675.40

Which doesn't provide any evidence he used his pool.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 01:16:31 AM

Here I'll help you guys out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=23768.msg678080#msg678080

Why does it seem like people don't read anything? The Coiledcoin nonsense is NOT RELATED TO THE POOL.

Whether I or anyone else believes that statement is a different matter of course.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 03:03:25 AM

Which doesn't provide any evidence he used his pool.
It can be shown that the Eligius pool is likely multiple block chains by looking at the coinbase of the generated bitcoin transactions. Here's a coinbase from an Eligius  bitcoin block that was used for namecoin only merge mining:

Code:
Block 160257
  coinbase: 07456c696769757302660c2c4d4d3d3d4976cbf9003c0705e29e581038d3ddbe260a5d324c2b17b24779b6ca48c4f8320100000000000000074f505f4556414c

The details of the coinbase are available in the merged mining specification. From this you can see that the number of entries in the aux merkle tree is 1. This means up to 1 other chain is being mined. That's probably namecoin. You can look up the hash of the namecoin block. It's hash 4976cbf9003c0705e29e581038d3ddbe260a5d324c2b17b24779b6ca48c4f832 or  block 36067.

Now look at a slightly later block. Say 160499:

Code:
Block 160499:
  coinbase 07456c6967697573025b252cfabe6d6dd28f2fe3e45981bb5ede1a627d762c620847f088cca62d45e6e91f3222ca48b60400000000000000074f505f4556414c

The aux merkle tree size is 4. So up to four other alt chains are being mined. Why the increase if it's only namecoin being mined? Also note that the hash in the coinbase no longer corresponds to a namecoin block. This is another sign multiple chains are being mined. This is during the period that i0coin and ixcoin hash rates increased.

Now a more recent block:

Code:
Block 161090:
  coinbase 07456c696769757302a6572cfabe6d6db1e2cb4f9537ecca37a59867856aba5c856992564a80918def0b965174d19a880800000000000000
The aux merkle tree size here is 8. Why the increase? Coiled Coin and Devcoin are both active at this time and would have required the aux merkle size to be upped. I got the Eligius found blocks from here.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 04:11:37 AM

So he did the attack, then lied about using his pool to do it?
What I posted just means it's likely Eligius is mining alternate chains, nothing more. It could just be namecoin for example with weird merkle tree sizing. Someone more motivated would have to dig further into the chains if they wanted to find anything else out.
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 01:26:16 PM

It's nice to see that Eligius has taken a 50-odd GH/s hit in loss of mining power, but that is simply NOT ENOUGH.

People need to WAKE UP and leave that pool. As has been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, YOUR MINING POWER is being used not only to line the pockets of Luke Dash Jr himself, but also to attack other chains in the process.

DEMAND COMPENSATION, or run for the hills.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 01:43:01 PM

YOUR MINING POWER is being used not only to line the pockets of Luke Dash Jr himself, but also to attack other chains in the process.

Wait isn't that an Oxymoron?

If the hashing power is used to attack CLC then aren't the CLCs worthless? 
On the other hand if the CLC have value wouldn't that indicate the attack isn't working?
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 02:09:59 PM

YOUR MINING POWER is being used not only to line the pockets of Luke Dash Jr himself, but also to attack other chains in the process.

Wait isn't that an Oxymoron?

If the hashing power is used to attack CLC then aren't the CLCs worthless?  
On the other hand if the CLC have value wouldn't that indicate the attack isn't working?
Come on....really ?
For a so-called married & religious male, Luke sure seems to have alot of male suitors.

The term ATTACK, as I am using it......

Recipe:
1) Throw large amounts of hashing power at weak chains, using OTHER'S HASHING POWER (not your own).
2) Collect all alternative chain proceeds yourself, EXCLUSIVELY, WITHOUT COMPENSATING YOUR POOL'S MINERS WHO UNKNOWINGLY PROVIDED SAID POWER FOR THE ATTACKS.
3) Take said proceeds and fire-sale them on the market(s) to further DRIVE DOWN THE VALUE, WHILE DRIVING UP THE DIFFICULTY ON THE CHAIN(S) TO DESTROY THE OPPORTUNITY FOR OTHERS TO PARTAKE, IN A FAIR FASHION.

I0C, IXC, CLC = all targeted and ATTACKED by Luke Dash Jr. PROVEN.
DVC = threat of being ATTACKED by Luke Dash Jr. DOCUMENTED.
LTC = out his his reach thankfully, as he doesn't have the financial or 3rd party 'pool' resources to stage any type of relevant 'attack' on the chain, as it requires CPU Power to dominate.....EXPENSIVE CPU POWER (Intel I7 or better). OBVIOUS.

....Anything else ?

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 06:47:12 PM

I only started mining on that pool about two weeks ago, and so far have been paid everything I was entitled to. As long as I'm paid for my hash rate, I really don't give a shit what it's used for. The way I see it is we buy pool management service from Luke for a small fee, and he buys our hashing power with bitcoin. If he pays for it, he owns it.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 09:25:27 PM

I only started mining on that pool about two weeks ago, and so far have been paid everything I was entitled to. As long as I'm paid for my hash rate, I really don't give a shit what it's used for. The way I see it is we buy pool management service from Luke for a small fee, and he buys our hashing power with bitcoin. If he pays for it, he owns it.

I would consider pure PPS as the only "mining for hire", you agree to mine for a particular payment per share as disclosed on the pool web site. SMPPS is rewarded partially on block finding and the pool reserve, so it deviates from this, and you are more participatory. In a pool where rewards partially depend on pool luck like SMPPS, you aren't getting paid for a block you found if there is merged mining going on behind the scenes.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 10:07:28 PM

I would consider pure PPS as the only "mining for hire", you agree to mine for a particular payment per share as disclosed on the pool web site. SMPPS is rewarded partially on block finding and the pool reserve, so it deviates from this, and you are more participatory. In a pool where rewards partially depend on pool luck like SMPPS, you aren't getting paid for a block you found if there is merged mining going on behind the scenes.

All I know is my mining hardware is supposed to be able to mine a certain amount of bitcoin a day, and Eligius has delivered all of it daily, so if any hashing was diverted to other activities, I still got paid for it.
On the other hand, what's this I hear about Luke-Jr being a religious fundamentalist?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:01:25 PM

I still don't care what happened, but I still find it amazing people want to give up their votes so cheaply.

Come on people, Bitcoin was not designed to put so much control in the hands of so few.

If everyone was on a version of P2Pool, this "problem" wouldn't have happened to begin with.

Wise up people and protect your source of income.

Most Bitcoin miners could give two flying craps about the ScamCoins.  I agree p2pool is necessary (hybrid pools are another options) but technically we only need 51% of miners on "smart" (miner independent) pools to protect Bitcoin.

The honest answer is if Eligus went away tomorrow a good chunk of those miners would likely end up at deepbit not p2pool.  That is a larger concern than Luke playing God and smiting scam coins.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:03:48 PM

I agree p2pool is necessary (hybrid pools are another options) but technically we only need 51% of miners on "smart" (miner independent) pools to protect Bitcoin.
I remember hearing about hybrid pools in the past and thinking they were a good idea, but I forget how they are intended to work. From what I recall, it is a set of p2pool "supernodes" basically. Is that correct?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:07:01 PM

Luke seems to think it's ok to do anything that *can* be done, so I assume that for instance mining with him and not submit winning shares would be perfectly ok.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:09:56 PM

Luke seems to think it's ok to do anything that *can* be done,
I've never said anything of the sort.

so I assume that for instance mining with him and not submit winning shares would be perfectly ok.
That would hurt yourself and other miners, not me in any direct manner. It's also detectable, and if I find anyone doing it, you can be sure I will block them.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 11:21:42 PM

Luke seems to think it's ok to do anything that *can* be done, so I assume that for instance mining with him and not submit winning shares would be perfectly ok.

Share witholding is really only an issue in PPS pools and there are countermeasures.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: