Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:15:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Letter to Luke-JR About Alt-Coin Attacks  (Read 6307 times)
cablepair (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 12:26:46 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2012, 01:16:44 PM by cablepair

Luke-JR:

I am writing this to you as both a fan / friend of yours, a long time miner at your pool as well as someone who is concerned about your actions. Here are my concerns:

You are using Eligius-ST hashing power which does not belong to you to attack and destroy Alt-Chains
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56675.60

There are rumors going around that you are planning to attack the Devcoin network because we are moving to merged mining probably today.

I am not personally accusing you of anything but myself and the community need some sort of official response to these allegations. I still have 5 ghash on your pool and I have not moved it because I find it hard to believe you could be so reckless.

I also want to comment on Devcoin. I have no idea why you would attack devcoin . Devcoin was created not to compete with Bitcoin but to fund development projects and to pay Developers.

As a matter of fact Luke-JR - you yourself are on the Bitcoin Share List and have already benefited from Devcoin and will benefit more from it in the future.

https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/bitcoinshare.html

You have said that CoildCoin was a scam and that was justification for destroying it, I am not personally here to debate that - in fact I really dont care but I am asking you directly Luke-JR - Are you planning to Destroy Devcoin?

Thank you for your time and for reading this - I encourage the community to voice their opinions on this subject.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 12:40:11 PM

How nice of him!

cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 12:40:59 PM

I sincerely hope your right Goat, but considering I have submitted 100s of millions of shares to his pool and also am someone who is very involved in Devcoin myself I need to hear it from him.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 01:24:08 PM

Now that luke has been BANNED from the BTC-e Exchange, I am sure the Staff there would be more than happy to share chat logs with not only his boasting about his current and past ventures, but his upcoming plans as well.....in regards to Alt Coins and his feelings on each and every one of them in detail.

Being a witness to alot of this, I can definitely say he wasn't shy about it.

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 01:25:18 PM

Now that luke has been BANNED from the BTC-e Exchange, I am sure the Staff there would be more than happy to share chat logs with not only his boasting about his current and past ventures, but his upcoming plans as well.....in regards to Alt Coins and his feelings on each and every one of them in detail.

Being a witness to alot of this, I can definitely say he wasn't shy about it.

He is clearly a man with huge issues, not having food should be on top of his list.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 03:16:31 PM

See the tail end of this thread for others views on the "attack"

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:17:38 PM

If this attack was carried out, it's done as stupid as can be. Eligius is the pool that I trusted most as the following is not possible:
* Attack a competing pool/chain by throwing your hashing power at them.
* reward your miners with the coins mined/alt-coins mined traded for real coins.

As in Eligius this can not be done unnoticed as the reward does not come from old coins and thus the miners can not be compensated I hope to see a justification from Luke soon.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 04:28:15 PM

I hope to see a justification from Luke soon.

He is the new sheriff in town, the judge, jury and executioner if you don't meet his "high standards" your fair game apparently and if you hash on his pool then you support this type of behaviour.
I have always wondered why such a capable coder also had to be such a troublemaking bullheaded asshole as well. I think mental issues are certainly something to worry about with this gun-toting fiend using what he has to cause mayhem and destruction, even if it is "only" virtual at this point.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 04:33:07 PM

Someday he will pay the price. One way or another.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 04:48:09 PM

For those that asked me to PM the first page of the deleted thread to you, here it is:

https://eclipsemc.com/talk/

I am not going to clutter up the Eligius thread.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:14:17 PM

I have now moved my workers away from Eligius. It's not much, but I hope others do the same.

finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:17:41 PM

I have now moved my workers away from Eligius. It's not much, I hope others do the same.

I won't do so.  Mostly i am mining Bitcoin, even NMC doesn't matter.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:55:32 PM

I don't particularly have any incentive to respond to the scammers that I foiled, given the significant cost (in time) to do so. Nor do I have any financial loss or care particularly if people want to stop mining on Eligius because they were in on the scam (or any other reason). I will clarify that Eligius miners were not adversely impacted by this, and that the CLC mining involved only adding data that I hashed myself to my own transactions; and I was careful to ensure that nobody lost any confirmed CLC. If any Eligius miner wishes to inquire further, I will take the time to answer specific to-the-point questions which are signmessage'd with an active (ie, has mined in the past week) Eligius payout address that has earned at least 2000 TBC (5.36870912 BTC) over all time.

Eligius is a Bitcoin mining pool and I am, as always, committed to doing my best to contribute to and protect the Bitcoin ecosystem. Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation. I hope CoiledCoin will be the last of such scams now that it is clear there are people (not just myself) willing to stand up to them. Namecoin alone demonstrates a legitimate, innovative use of Bitcoin technology, and while I don't personally agree with their ideals/goals, I see it as a good thing for Bitcoin and worth cooperating with.

cablepair, regarding Devcoin, I don't see any reason to treat it as different from any other scamcoin. I will at least discuss it with you on IRC before doing anything other than mining it with the almost-unmodified (zero txn fee, zero post-maturity delay) Devcoin client.

P.S. While the opposition seem to be very venemous and vocal, I have gotten a lot more positive support from a head-count perspective.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 06:58:59 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2012, 07:09:47 PM by rjk

Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation.
Attacking and killing them serves to provide ultimately more discredit to the entire project than just letting them slide into oblivion. What you have achieved here is simply wasting your time to no productive end.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:14:28 PM

Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation.
Attacking and killing them serves to provide ultimately more discredit to the entire project than just letting them slide into oblivion. What you have achieved here is simply wasting your time to no productive end.
This.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 08:06:02 PM

I don't particularly have any incentive to respond to the scammers that I foiled, given the significant cost (in time) to do so. Nor do I have any financial loss or care particularly if people want to stop mining on Eligius because they were in on the scam (or any other reason). I will clarify that Eligius miners were not adversely impacted by this, and that the CLC mining involved only adding data that I hashed myself to my own transactions; and I was careful to ensure that nobody lost any confirmed CLC. If any Eligius miner wishes to inquire further, I will take the time to answer specific to-the-point questions which are signmessage'd with an active (ie, has mined in the past week) Eligius payout address that has earned at least 2000 TBC (5.36870912 BTC) over all time.

Eligius is a Bitcoin mining pool and I am, as always, committed to doing my best to contribute to and protect the Bitcoin ecosystem. Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation. I hope CoiledCoin will be the last of such scams now that it is clear there are people (not just myself) willing to stand up to them. Namecoin alone demonstrates a legitimate, innovative use of Bitcoin technology, and while I don't personally agree with their ideals/goals, I see it as a good thing for Bitcoin and worth cooperating with.

cablepair, regarding Devcoin, I don't see any reason to treat it as different from any other scamcoin. I will at least discuss it with you on IRC before doing anything other than mining it with the almost-unmodified (zero txn fee, zero post-maturity delay) Devcoin client.

P.S. While the opposition seem to be very venemous and vocal, I have gotten a lot more positive support from a head-count perspective.

Luke-JR: I appreciate you agreeing to talk with me. I am working in the field right now when I return home in about four hours time (7PM EST)
I will message you on IRC.

Thank you.

my Bitcoin wallet address (1Cp8HBr3vtEAvQ1RqQhjbhGciYDapf3ATN)
cant sign with it right now because I am at work but I have mined over 250 Bitcoins with your pool.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 08:30:50 PM

I have now moved my workers away from Eligius. It's not much, but I hope others do the same.

Come on to EclipseMC!!!  ^_^
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 13, 2012, 12:22:12 AM

I partially admire Luke for at least having the courage to push those pump&dump forks right where they belong.
What I don't appreciate is the execution, how many people mining on Eligius would consent to this?

(If I got paid regardless, I probably wouldn't care though)

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
cablepair (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2012, 12:28:56 AM

lol

go back to sleep man
The LT

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 11:33:30 AM

If I may, I'd like to say that I actually agree with Luke about bitcoin forks doing more harm than good... And I don't see how taking them down in any way somehow discredits bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: