Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:26:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is the duty of pool operators?
pay the reward of generation + fees from bitcoin
pay the reward of generation + fees from namecoin
pay the reward of generation + fees from all alt coins in existence (or proof, not to mine them)
expand the pool so it is more stable to attacks
expand the pool so it is more stable to attacks even at the cost of attacking other pools (mine for a competitor reporting shares but no blocks)
defend bitcoin against competing crypto currencies that might obsolete the bitcoin
be transparent about all the above
allow miners to opt-out from above activities
require miners to opt-in to above activities
not attack other pools
not attack alt coins

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we need regulation based on morality?  (Read 1349 times)
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 06:48:34 PM

The nice and funny incidents about a pool operator bragging about his actions of smashing an alt coin by using his pool for it resulted in wild discussions. As far as I understood it, the alt coin fans/users were damaged but the miners at his pool not interested in that particular alt coin were not directly damaged as merged mining comes at no costs.

I see it difficult to talk about morality in bitcoin and see the task as to design it in a way that we don't need morality as greed or dogmatism will always find its way. Still I'm interested in your opinion on the issue. How much of their clearly existing power should pool operators be tolerated to use.

Let me know if I should add further options.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 06:55:08 PM

Voted transparency, people will do what people do.  Best to let it happen, learn from it, figure out a defense and move on. If there is no defense then it's a flaw which will take it down sooner or later, and sooner is better than later. Issues of morality should come from the clients, and they can vote with their GH.   

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:04:01 PM

I'd say as long as they're open about it, they can do whatever they want.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:05:20 PM

As long as pool operators aren't being fraudulent or misrepresenting anything, then they ought to do whatever they wish. They owe the "community" only what they promise.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:12:28 PM

If the people are moral the strict free market regulations will reflect their morality.. As long as you are transparent I have no problem with whatever you choose to do.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:40:37 PM

You cannot legislate morality.

Morality is different to all people.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 07:45:22 PM

[Food, sex, work, play, disputes] are different for all people too, but that doesn't stop them.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:47:12 PM

I'm fairly certain we are all in agreance on that point. The title could probably use a rewording.

I vote; Given transparency, the morality of the users will be spoken for in their actions.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 08:45:28 PM

Why there is no option like "pay the reward of generation from bitcoin" ? :)

Also I think that PPS pools are a bit different. They buy shares that may be used as the pool owner wants unless there is any agreement presented with additional conditions.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 09:12:48 PM

Why there is no option like "pay the reward of generation from bitcoin" ? Smiley

"Smiley" looks like you don't mind if I don't change the poll in that aspect.

I must confess I followed the "Never trust any statistic you've not faked for yourself" paradigm in leaving out two vital options: "not attack other pools" and  "not attack alt coins". Your voting indicates that some of you might have set their crosses their.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: