Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:45:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $8 today?  (Read 2217 times)
Dan The Man (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:12:41 PM

It had to be said.

Edit:Sorry just saw that there actually was already a post over on the next page. This can be deleted.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:26:30 PM

i don't exclude any possibilities )
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:33:14 PM

It could happen. But I think it would take about $1.5M to do it at this point.

Damn the walls, full speed ahead!

(BFL)^2 < 0
StewartJ

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 09:06:42 PM

It could happen. But I think it would take about $1.5M to do it at this point.

Damn the walls, full speed ahead!

You should know by now that 'walls' don't really matter. They don't really describe how the market will respond once it moves.

It has taken about $3M/month of actual dollars flowing into the market to get us to where we are now. As it stands, price has gotten as far as it has on the basis of funds made available up to about 00:00 GMT today. Some of that has been taken off the table and we are basically re-trading with amounts that were there some 23 hours earlier.

In order to go to $8 all that has to come back, plus a lot more. A total of about $1.5M.

Looking at the chart, the last 6 hours we've been doing some sharp .50 - .70 spikes up and down.

Do you see us trading back to a less volatile range soon?
legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 09:20:43 PM

$9000

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Mark Oates

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 09:31:47 PM

Any thoughts on selling in anticipation of a weekend drop?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 09:52:10 PM

While I believe that the initial floor of $2 a couple of months ago, and the following slow rises to $3 or so are justifiable based upon fundemental metrics related to the bitcoin economy; the most recent spike to $6+ is unfounded and indicative of a rising mania.  The growth of the bitcoin economy simply hasn't had the time to keep up with that kind of runnup.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 10:11:01 PM

Bitcoinica is recently often out of BTC - this means there was a massive short selling going on in the past hours.  They broke the trend - but it looks like it bounced back to it - I think a short squeeze is on the menu on Saturday. It might be a huge spike - but the correction will come after it and this will be a longer correction, not just a quick dump and back.  At least that is what my crystal ball says.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 11:09:52 PM

Bitcoinica is recently often out of BTC - this means there was a massive short selling going on in the past hours.  They broke the trend - but it looks like it bounced back to it - I think a short squeeze is on the menu on Saturday. It might be a huge spike - but the correction will come after it and this will be a longer correction, not just a quick dump and back.  At least that is what my crystal ball says.

I believe you could be right.  Seven-ate-nine.  The failed resistance at seven will eat through to 9 once we break 8.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 11:28:54 PM

While I believe that the initial floor of $2 a couple of months ago, and the following slow rises to $3 or so are justifiable based upon fundemental metrics related to the bitcoin economy; the most recent spike to $6+ is unfounded and indicative of a rising mania.  The growth of the bitcoin economy simply hasn't had the time to keep up with that kind of runnup.

Doesn't that assume that the "floor" of $2 wasn't an overcorrection to the downside?  Whatever the "proper" price of BTC is, market prices almost always overshoot, both up and down.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Nooooooooooo!

They got to you didnt they ?   Cheesy

just teasin!, I actually feel he same way, but not till it hits the teens..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 12:30:54 AM

While I believe that the initial floor of $2 a couple of months ago, and the following slow rises to $3 or so are justifiable based upon fundemental metrics related to the bitcoin economy; the most recent spike to $X+ is unfounded and indicative of a rising mania.  The growth of the bitcoin economy simply hasn't had the time to keep up with that kind of runnup.
FTFY

I don't think that the bitcoin economy has much of anything to do with the price. Bitcoin has established that value can reliably be stored and transferred using cryptographic keys, and this feature in and of itself is useful enough to justify the current valuation.  Being able to spend bitcoins directly in more places is just a bonus.

ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 01:42:19 AM

sorry, everyone.  I didn't post a $8 today?! thread and consequently, the market tanked. 

(BFL)^2 < 0
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 01:42:46 AM

I sympathize with your sentiment. I would love to see Bitcoins trade and grow in value in a  slow, steady way. But as the last week as shown, the Bitcoin market is really based on speculation and manipulation.

You can go with the flow and hope to make out when she skyrockets into double digits, or you can sit it out and preserve USD if and when Bitcoins comes tumbling down.

I got out recently and made some profit.  You had to know the $7.20 plateau was not going to sustain. The last time we had a 1/2 day of steady pricing we were at $6.20. Maybe we are still correcting into a new trading range, but this recent volatility is keeping some folks out, me included.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 03:12:29 AM

It has taken about $3M/month of actual dollars flowing into the market to get us to where we are now.

No, brother. Remember all those bitcoin that were traded for fractions of a penny? Your extrapolated market cap is BS.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:02:57 AM

Doesn't that assume that the "floor" of $2 wasn't an overcorrection to the downside?  Whatever the "proper" price of BTC is, market prices almost always overshoot, both up and down.

Yes, I made such an assumption.  I have no evidence that can reasonablely support this position, but nor is there any evidence to support the position that $2 was an overcorrection.  There simply isn't enogh data to make such a determination, and there cannot be.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: