Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:27:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Mod was bored i guess.  (Read 1474 times)
otrkid70 (OP)

Activity: 920
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:20:44 PM

Got this msg in my inbox

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted.

lol
Really? Did my lol break a rule? I really have no idea why it was deleted. the lol was a comment i left after someone posted something funny.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:25:23 PM

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted.
lol
Really? Did my lol break a rule? I really have no idea why it was deleted. the lol was a comment i left after someone posted something funny.

What about these posts which consist of nothing but "+1", or "-1"?
I consider these posts to be off-topic because they have no point, but they don't cause much damage, so I usually don't delete them unless the poster posts useless replies a lot or the useless replies are reported.
Other moderators might be more or less strict about this.
I guess a "lol" falls under this rule.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:29:02 PM

I also had a deleted post in the KnC miner tread that was fairly harmless (informative though off-topic)

I thought: don't take it personally... just move along Smiley
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:29:30 PM

Insubstantial posts like your "lol" add zero value to the discussion, and are frequently deleted.

Signature space available for rent.
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:33:46 PM

I think 'added value' is the key here. So 'yes' or 'no' are 1 word replies that *may* add value, or not, for instance.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3057

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 10:49:48 PM

Insubstantial posts like your "lol" add zero value to the discussion, and are frequently deleted.
Ok fair enough.  I'll make sure my posts contain more than a 1 word reply.

Thanks for the response.

lol.  funny!

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:35:54 AM

That wouldn't necessarily be enough. I just deleted a couple of one-liners that didn't add anything to the discussion, e.g. "yes we all should change our passwords" re: heartbleed.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:37:21 AM

Ok fair enough.  I'll make sure my posts contain more than a 1 word reply.

Thanks for the response.

lol.  funny!

+1. Such Wow!

(^_^ Was tempted to just make the above the reply)

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 06:33:43 AM

lol.  funny!

Great post! I just sent you a tip for it, I value your post at 0.0016 BTC

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 11:21:24 PM

lol.  funny!

Great post! I just sent you a tip for it, I value your post at 0.0016 BTC

Thank you muchly; I agree with your assessment.  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 11:32:17 PM

One word posts are sometimes fine. It really has to do with context, as to whether it is a complete answer/thought in reply. For example

OP: Hey guys! I'm here looking for a 10 BTC loan, I have no credentials, no reason to pay you back, and no trust, anyone want to give me a loan?

You: No

In this situation, you are directly responding and giving a straightforward on topic answer in one word.

Vs.

OP: Hey guys! I'm here announcing my new service, I take your Bitcoins, invest them in my own secret ways, and then return the money 100% Guarenteed. If you aren't satisfied, get 100% of your money back!!! Fully insured deposits, you cant lose!

While it is somewhat on topic, and we could infer that you were saying "No..." with implied extra meaning, that is an example of a post that may or may not be deleted. If the thread is 50 pages long and people have already explained that the OP in this situation is a moron, your "No" reply probably isn't needed. Plus added other situational things, and depending on who is reading it, etc etc.

I suppose my point is, post one word replies if you wish, just try and make sure that your one word reply is completing an idea or thought. It is however more easy to do with multiple words.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 11:38:49 PM

I think bearing in mind how busy a thread is as well. Some of those mining hardware threads can have a hundred posts in a day and they're impossible to navigate if they're also interspersed with extra posts of just LOL, +1, -1, awesome, etc...

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 01:26:52 AM

Thanks for the response.

lol.  funny!

I posted that expecting it to be deleted.  This just shows mods are not robots - they each have their own views on what is and isn't acceptable.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 01:39:49 AM

Thanks for the response.

lol.  funny!

I posted that expecting it to be deleted.  This just shows mods are not robots - they each have their own views on what is and isn't acceptable.
In threads like this, we typically allow one "stick it to the man" post, since the post was made to make a very on-topic point.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:05:50 AM

One word posts are sometimes fine. It really has to do with context, as to whether it is a complete answer/thought in reply. For example

OP: Hey guys! I'm here looking for a 10 BTC loan, I have no credentials, no reason to pay you back, and no trust, anyone want to give me a loan?

In this situation, you are directly responding and giving a straightforward on topic answer in one word.
[...]
I would like to disagree. If you're rejecting an offer, you don't need to reply because the lack of a reply constitutes a rejection of the offer.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
eternalgloom
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 06:34:53 AM

I think the biggest problem is when people are posting one or two word replies to increase their post count or activity.

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:01:09 AM

[...]
I would like to disagree. If you're rejecting an offer, you don't need to reply because the lack of a reply constitutes a rejection of the offer.
I disagree with you.
Some times OP wants some one to reply his thread. Only by that way, they can know whether some like the offer or not.
If no one replies, then OP may think no one read the thread at all, even though thread view shows some number.
eternalgloom
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 08:21:31 AM

[...]
I disagree with you.
Some times OP wants some one to reply his thread. Only by that way, they can know whether some like the offer or not.
If no one replies, then OP may think no one read the thread at all, even though thread view shows some number.
That's true, but it would be quite silly to see a topic with 10+ posts just stating they disagree Smiley

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 10:14:36 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it was done for the good of the forum.  Let's say you did it once, then it sort of sets the precedence for someone else to do it over and over again.
 So my removing your posts and other like it it sends a message that 3 letter posts will not be tolerated.  I wouldn't think of it as an attack on you but spamming posters in general who try and game the system in order to build rep or what have you.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: