Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:38:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tool to securely store/share private keys and passwords  (Read 629 times)
JoelKatz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 10:57:35 PM

I've been working on putting together a set of tools to securely generate and access crypto-currencies placed in cold storage. I've found almost all of the pieces I need except one. Something to allow people to store things like accounts and passwords for exchanges, private keys for crypto-currency accounts, and the like. Ideally, with a way for them to maintain them and permit another person to have access to them in the event of emergency or disaster.

I'll describe the ideal tool:

1) It would provide a secure editor that allows lists of private keys and/or passwords to be edited.

2) Encrypted data could be stored locally. Preferably automatically keeping past versions.

3) Unencrypted data would never be stored anywhere except in RAM while the program is running.

4) It would integrate with Dropbox, Google Drive, or something similar to permit synchronization of files.

5) The tool would be able to run on a PC as an application to access the local copy and not require Internet access. (Though, of course, it couldn't synch changes without Internet access.)

Ideally, a single easy-to-use tool would be best. This is intended to be easy to set up and use securely by non-technical people.

Any ideas?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 06:18:16 AM

It sounds like you need a password manager, or something like one. I've heard good things about LastPass and 1Password, but there are many others which may be a better fit for what you need.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
Jouke

Activity: 426
Merit: 250