Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:37:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now I see how ANY Government can EASILY KILL BTC  (Read 2431 times)
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 07:28:22 PM

I just learned about the 51% attack.

People say it can't happen because "everyone loves BTC" 

= Who would do that?
= WHO would have that much money to waste just to kill BTC

Seems to me that $60-$100 Million offered @ $10 MILLION Each to 6-10 mine pools would do it...then no more concern about CRYPTO

and BTC is large enough that the media spin on it would count as an EXAMPLE to the masses that crypto doesn't work (perception is reality) and should be stayed away from?

What do you think?

So if I owned a pool and the Feds paid me ten million bucks to shut down the pool,
And i agreed, so what?  My pool is shut down, and miners would join another pool.
So, nothing was accomplished except breaking up a large pool temporarily.

unless you owned one of the largest pools, and the other 9 pool owners were paid also (as I said in the original statement)

Why would the government want to kill something they want to tax?  Makes no sense to them don't you think?

Goes against everything you learned in history class...

For example, the US.
The US sees BitCoin as a competitor to its US Dollar. If everyone treated bitcoin like a currency like the dollar, then it would severly hurt that country's economy, and its government cannot control it.

I love Bitcoin as much as the next guy, but I don't think we're quite at that stage yet.  The government, IRS for instance, is looking for ways to tax it.

In the US government's eyes, it's a "property" not a currency, thus the "property tax" they've included this year for miners and investors.

We're only in year 5, lets get it accepted by Amazon and Ebay first, before we start threatening the US dollar.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:28:47 PM

What do you think?

I think you should stop making silly threads and spend more time reading.

You're a noob, we get it but atleast show your effort in learning. Being spoonfed is not gonna get you anywhere. You will however be mislead by hearsay.

Dont you think we would have had discussed these topics long time ago?

Exactly. That's the whole point. And we have countermeasures that we can put into place in the event that this occurs.
We don't even need to hardfork, most miners would switch to another pool anyway.

No, the whole point is that when someone ask you what you think, you show some respect.

These forums are swarming with kids these days. Grow the f*** up!

LOL. Why start insulting too?
We expressed our opinions and showed the OP other threads where others expressed their opinions.
Then both of you start raging and cursing at us.

The thread you responded "exactly" to is a pile of poop.
If the original post was also a pile of poop, I wouldn't care. But it wasn't.

WOW. Such insult. "pile of poop". And then you say we are kids.

Please explain why you think it is a "pile of poop", otherwise you have no right to say so.

Grow up and you will see what I mean

No offense, but that sounds exactly what a 9-year old kid that thinks he is grown-up would say.
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:31:28 PM

No offense, but that sounds exactly what a 9-year old kid that thinks he is grown-up would say.
Yeah, thats what a 9-year old kid that thinks he is a grown-up does to you
byt411

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:32:51 PM

Yeah, thats what a 9-year old kid that thinks he is a grown-up does to you

So are you seriously implying that you are a 9-year old kid?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:19:28 PM

= Who would do that?

Seems to me that $60-$100 Million offered @ $10 MILLION Each to 6-10 mine pools would do it...then no more concern about CRYPTO

and BTC is large enough that the media spin on it would count as an EXAMPLE to the masses that crypto doesn't work (perception is reality) and should be stayed away from?

What do you think?

So if I owned a pool and the Feds paid me ten million bucks to shut down the pool,
And i agreed, so what?  My pool is shut down, and miners would join another pool.

Wow. You obviously don't understand a 51% attack either.

The gov pays 3 major pools so that they direct their hashrate to create a dishonest chain and make other honest miners' blocks to become orphaned.

I understand what a 51% is lol... Good point but still if they did that, that would pool would be dead, so it would be good for only a short time, the pools would disband and bitcoin would continue.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:33:57 PM

What do you think?

You're a noob, we get it but atleast show your effort in learning. Being spoonfed is not gonna get you anywhere. You will however be mislead by hearsay.

Noob? How old are you 12?  Do you live and operate in the real world or just online?  Are you stuck in the chair at the computer? do u know how life works?

Are you in the COOL clique for BTC? ooooo-- should I try to be your friend?

Get over yourself...seriously.

FOR AS LONG AS THERE IS BITCOIN - there will be new people coming in.

THIS FORUM IS FOR DISCUSSION -- stay OUT OF THE DISCUSSION if you already know everything and had every possible discussion.

I didn't ask if you had this discussion...why would I care if you discussed these things "a long time ago"?  I DIDN'T it is NEW FOR ME

so I WILL DISCUSS THEM!  

And while your IQ may be so low, that you are easily mislead by hearsay, or your time on this earth so limited that you are easily taken advantage of..some of us have succeeded in life and are STILL GROWING

thanks for your time and have a good day.

Wow. You are obviously an uneducated person, and cannot properly start a discussion without raging at people.
We are just answering your questions. Your attitude won't get you anywhere.
You should seriously consider changing your attitude to approach your life, otherwise I assure you that you will make many mistakes.
Please calm down and have a think yourself.

byt411 is correct.
Thanks for being patient and nice with our new friend.  Smiley

jparsley

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:53:24 PM

That wont happen, if it does devs can always use a POS fork.

please unban me.
byt411

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:30:56 PM

= Who would do that?

What do you think?

The gov pays 3 major pools so that they direct their hashrate to create a dishonest chain and make other honest miners' blocks to become orphaned.

I understand what a 51% is lol... Good point but still if they did that, that would pool would be dead, so it would be good for only a short time, the pools would disband and bitcoin would continue.

They wouldn't "disband", just that most of the miners would leave and the bribing would have been worthless.

What do you think?

Noob? How old are you 12?  Do you live and operate in the real world or just online?  Are you stuck in the chair at the computer? do u know how life works?

THIS FORUM IS FOR DISCUSSION -- stay OUT OF THE DISCUSSION if you already know everything and had every possible discussion.

I didn't ask if you had this discussion...why would I care if you discussed these things "a long time ago"?  I DIDN'T it is NEW FOR ME

so I WILL DISCUSS THEM! 

And while your IQ may be so low, that you are easily mislead by hearsay, or your time on this earth so limited that you are easily taken advantage of..some of us have succeeded in life and are STILL GROWING

Wow. You are obviously an uneducated person, and cannot properly start a discussion without raging at people.
You should seriously consider changing your attitude to approach your life, otherwise I assure you that you will make many mistakes.

byt411 is correct.

See, I'm not trying to insult, I am just suggesting something, I'm just trying to help.
counter

Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:34:17 PM

if you ask me it isn't that simple to take bitcoin out or it would have been done already.  Even if it was to happen there would be a new coin to take it's place.
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:39:06 PM

See, I'm not trying to insult, I am just suggesting something, I'm just trying to help.

surely you jest...right?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 10:04:17 PM

= Who would do that?

What do you think?

I dont think this would work because

- most -if not all- pools are not run by a single person or a small group but by several people. How can you reach them all to bribe them?
- Why? Anyone or any group/government/etc. investing up to 100 Million needs are very good reason to do it. The main reason would be money. I dont see how you can make money off of this. Why would anyone want this?
- "the media" is not a single entity either. Different papers would see it differently and report differently about this. Same with "a goverment" (as stated above). Not many countries a ruled by a single person, thus there are usually several people who would have to decide that this is a good course of action.

tl;dr why? Whats the motive?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 10:14:35 PM

I dont think this would work because

- most -if not all- pools are not run by a single person or a small group but by several people. How can you reach them all to bribe them?
- Why? Anyone or any group/government/etc. investing up to 100 Million needs are very good reason to do it. The main reason would be money. I dont see how you can make money off of this. Why would anyone want this?
- "the media" is not a single entity either. Different papers would see it differently and report differently about this. Same with "a goverment" (as stated above). Not many countries a ruled by a single person, thus there are usually several people who would have to decide that this is a good course of action.

tl;dr why? Whats the motive?

-$10 million even among several people is a lot of money.  You only need to reach enough to manipulate 51%

-$100 million for a government is a drop in the bucket and in the USA - we just print it out.  They don't do everything for "money".  They do a lot for POWER and CONTROL.  They would not be looking for a return on investment

- Main stream media is all about promoting government agendas.  When you get involved with local or global economies, you begin to see things like the fed, REITs, IRS etc and how they all are propaganda to promote political agendas (Koch anyone?)  I watched this happen real time during the real estate bubble and could not believe what all the "different" news media were saying while every sane investor was yelling _BUBBLE_ GET OUT_ !

Again, enabling transactions that are not 100% controlled can become a problem in lots of ways.

Thats partly motive anyway.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 10:16:59 PM

= Who would do that?

What do you think?

They wouldn't "disband", just that most of the miners would leave and the bribing would have been worthless.

What do you think?

Noob? How old are you 12?  Do you live and operate in the real world or just online?  Are you stuck in the chair at the computer? do u know how life works?

I didn't ask if you had this discussion...why would I care if you discussed these things "a long time ago"?  I DIDN'T it is NEW FOR ME

so I WILL DISCUSS THEM! 

byt411 is correct.

That's what disband means.  Most of the miners would leave.  Exactly. 

razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 09:18:47 AM

Too many people not thinking it thorough clearly….

1. DDOS one of the major mining pool, forcing the clients to switch to other pools.

2. Take down the work servers for two other major pools and replace with your own tainted code work servers.
3. Use THIER clients to propagate your 51% attack…. (after all there is NO encrypted connection between a pool work server and its engine clients)

No need to 'pay' anyone or even get the compliance of the pool owners………….
all are feasible attacks…. DDos & DNS attack.

I just don't see why people think you have to spend millions on 'out hashing' the network when the current setup has key points that can be exploited.

Really these pools should implement some sort of public key exchange to prevent  being replaced by compromised kit via a DNS attack.

RF

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: