Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 01:30:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-04-14] Amazon Exec Says Company Decided Against Accepting Bitcoin  (Read 1001 times)
roslinpl (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 08:10:47 PM

I must say I do not understand why they do not want to accept bitcoin.

Amazon is in some way very similar product to bitcoin Smiley and I think they are making a big mistake, but ... maybe they will change their minds sooner or later... I am pretty sure they should.

Amazon is not interested in embracing bitcoin, but it is looking into new digital payment services, possibly a service developed in house, a new report suggests.(...)

Read more...
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:49:55 PM

Not such an issue, Amazon accepting bitcoin would be like a blue whale belly flopping into a garden swimming pool. I kind of like the idea of Amazon's competitors picking up business from cryptocurrency users anyway, corporate quasi-monopolies are not a good thing.

The interesting part, as with many public comments on bitcoin by established players, is that they said anything at all, what they said, the overall context in which they commented and whether that affects the BTC exchange rate significantly.

Vires in numeris
jdun

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

I've decided against spending my bitcoin at Amazon.

I think I'll stick with Tigerdirect and Overstock instead. They seem to be more up with the times anyway. Amazon is old-school.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 10:14:04 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2014, 12:08:50 AM by TheButterZone

"we’re not hearing from customers that it’s right for them" -Amazon

BULLSHIT. Who hasn't asked Amazon to accept BTC? Wasn't there even at least one petition?

ETA: http://www.change.org/petitions/amazon-com-amazon-com-accept-bitcoin

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 10:27:58 PM

"...Amazon has bigger goals at the moment than experimenting with digital currencies. For example, he noted that Amazon needs to deal with foreign exchange rates and other issues affecting sellers"

Ok once you've "dealt with foreign exchange rates" maybe they can circle back around and take care of world peace too.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:02:04 AM

Amazon payments head Tom Taylor told Re/code that the company did indeed consider bitcoin, but eventually decided that there was not enough interest in the technology for Amazon to benefit from adopting it.

What they fail to understand is the network effect. They're saying there is not enough interest in the tech for Amazon to benefit from it. But the interest will be automatically generated on vast scale if they start accepting it. It's a no-brainer.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:37:18 AM

Who cares about these moonbats? Amazon is a dying company. I am sure that in the next 5 years, Overstock will overtake and replace them. I used to be an Amazon customer. Know what? I am one no more. I have also taken down all the Amazon advertisements from my sites and I have terminated my Amazon affiliates membership. Go to hell.... Amazon.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:40:45 AM

Not such an issue, Amazon accepting bitcoin would be like a blue whale belly flopping into a garden swimming pool. I kind of like the idea of Amazon's competitors picking up business from cryptocurrency users anyway, corporate quasi-monopolies are not a good thing.

The interesting part, as with many public comments on bitcoin by established players, is that they said anything at all, what they said, the overall context in which they commented and whether that affects the BTC exchange rate significantly.

+1

...well said

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 10:24:38 AM

Who cares about these moonbats? Amazon is a dying company. I am sure that in the next 5 years, Overstock will overtake and replace them. I used to be an Amazon customer. Know what? I am one no more. I have also taken down all the Amazon advertisements from my sites and I have terminated my Amazon affiliates membership. Go to hell.... Amazon.

Amazon affiliates is great, if you have a non-profit org you want to point the deposits to (that isn't already an affiliate). No tax liability.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:03:59 AM

Amazon affiliates is great, if you have a non-profit org you want to point the deposits to (that isn't already an affiliate). No tax liability.

But if they are really anti-Bitcoin, I definitely don't want anything to do with them. They might be great, but sometimes in life you have to make some really difficult choices.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:11:58 AM

Amazon already lost a couple of sales from me, simply because I choose to support businesses that accept bitcoins.

(Highly recommend scan.co.uk for tech in the UK btw.)
CoinMode

Activity: 417
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:01:10 PM

Steve Jobs was quoted many times saying that he would never make a phone or an iPod that could play video.  Roll Eyes It should be  illegal for these sociopaths to lie to their shareholders or to the public.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 11:51:16 PM

But if they are really anti-Bitcoin, I definitely don't want anything to do with them. They might be great, but sometimes in life you have to make some really difficult choices.

Cutting off nose to spite face. Why do you not want your non-profit of choice to make money?

roslinpl (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 12:01:29 AM

Amazon already lost a couple of sales from me, simply because I choose to support businesses that accept bitcoins.

(Highly recommend scan.co.uk for tech in the UK btw.)

And this is what will they understand in the nearest future I believe.
As we know already some BTC users send an e-mail to amazon.com support with question about possibility of bitcoin payments Smiley
I believe as for now amazon will not change their decision, but sooner or later they will understand why they did a mistake.
roslinpl (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 12:09:35 AM

BULLSHIT. Who hasn't asked Amazon to accept BTC? Wasn't there even at least one petition?

I just signed Tongue  Smiley
for them perhaps losing 3000 customers is nothing ... but maybe our vote will change it one day.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:39:59 AM

I just signed Tongue  Smiley
for them perhaps losing 3000 customers is nothing ... but maybe our vote will change it one day.

Thanks for sharing, I also signed.
It will receive way more than 3000 votes. Aiming for 3000 is aiming low.
PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 09:42:10 AM

Good. I'm very happy they decided against it. Don't sign the petition, anyone. You'll put me out of business....... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(See my sig)

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: