Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:42:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: And today there is no buying on bitcoinica  (Read 4822 times)
zby (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 02:20:13 PM

Asterisk at the buy price - seems that the current rally is hugely levereged.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ArsenShnurkov
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 02:24:20 PM

Asterisk at the buy price - seems that the current rally is hugely levereged.

There was no bears at $7, we should wait tomorrow
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 02:25:19 PM

And now it is gone - it was on only during the recent attack.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 02:25:54 PM

I can't access bitcoinica right now.  Huh

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 02:27:13 PM

it was just there for a second. its not been there long.

still waiting for them to send me the money they owe me however...

How do you withdraw it?  MtGox code or wire transfer?
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 02:39:14 PM

Zhou speaks that it isn't connected with shortage of money... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56944.msg679061#msg679061

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 04:04:52 PM

Zhou speaks that it isn't connected with shortage of money... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56944.msg679061#msg679061

Alas now it seems more permanent, not just the 15 seconds that he mentions.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 04:15:14 PM

I love how Zhou has placed the "Buy" button next to the Ask price in the instant execution window to encouraged noobs to make their BTC buys at the Ask resulting in an immediate loss on the spread to the buyer and an immediate profit for Bitcoinica.

naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 04:15:35 PM

But my sierrachartfeed works well... Means with API all in normal?

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 04:19:19 PM

Sierra is not using live socket. It just pull http data periodically.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 04:23:21 PM

Bitcoinica may be overleveraged, but mtgox is still being held up without their help.  I don't have the balls or the cash to attempt a squeeze.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 05:02:44 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2012, 02:22:29 AM by Otoh

I wonder if there'll be a big move when it's fixed, the only thing is that with Goxxy being in Japan they're waking up around now to a public holiday so may be on short staff & later Monday it's also a public hols in Russia so maybe more rich ru's at home looking for some BTC action or vodka fuelled trading plus it's a full moon too  Tongue  gooôöòóoœøōõo looooôöòóoœøōõooooong (hold down the o key I just noticed gives this bunch of còól ōptions, nöt sure if that's this fôrum or my cømp, first time that I've seen it = neatõ)

LiLu - Tvoj Znak (Club Mix)

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 05:38:40 PM

I love how Zhou has placed the "Buy" button next to the Ask price in the instant execution window to encouraged noobs to make their BTC buys at the Ask resulting in an immediate loss on the spread to the buyer and an immediate profit for Bitcoinica.

Yea he's got himself a nice a little business.  To open a position, you lose the spread (~1%) not just once, but as many times over as your leverage.  So each time you open a position at five to one leverage you're basically giving him 5% of your deposit, and at ten to one its 10%.  Bitcoinica daytraders would more than likely be seeing their accounts dwindling if this wasn't such a strong uptrend.

Even as it is, for my risk profile its better to just hold my coin for longer-run gains and sell on mtgox (or any other real exchange).  I'm not subject to a zhoutonging at every whim of the market, and I won't have to give away my (still fantastic) gains 5x over on those rare occasions when I will want to reduce my risk. 

Short-term traders just don't seem to realize how much your gains multiply themselves when you aren't hovering over the sell button and biting your nails during a monster fucking bull run.  You just have to let them run.  When you trade short-term all you're doing is giving away your gains to sophisticated market makers.  You still make money, but they don't multiply when you do that.

Its all in good fun though.  Not like any of us here are folks desperate enough to bet more than we can afford to lose, right?  Wink

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 05:54:08 PM

Yea he's got himself a nice a little business.  To open a position, you lose the spread (~1%) not just once, but as many times over as your leverage.  So each time you open a position at five to one leverage you're basically giving him 5% of your deposit, and at ten to one its 10%.  Bitcoinica daytraders would more than likely be seeing their accounts dwindling if this wasn't such a strong uptrend.

Even as it is, for my risk profile its better to just hold my coin for longer-run gains and sell on mtgox (or any other real exchange).  I'm not subject to a zhoutonging at every whim of the market, and I won't have to give away my (still fantastic) gains 5x over on those rare occasions when I will want to reduce my risk. 

Short-term traders just don't seem to realize how much your gains multiply themselves when you aren't hovering over the sell button and biting your nails during a monster fucking bull run.  You just have to let them run.  When you trade short-term all you're doing is giving away your gains to sophisticated market makers.  You still make money, but they don't multiply when you do that.

Its all in good fun though.  Not like any of us here are folks desperate enough to bet more than we can afford to lose, right?  Wink

CAN ANYONE LOAN ME 3000BTC I NEED THIS MAN IM SO CLOSE OHNORS ITS GOING DOWN FFFUUUUUUUU

mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2012, 06:25:32 PM

CAN ANYONE LOAN ME 3000BTC I NEED THIS MAN IM SO CLOSE OHNORS ITS GOING DOWN FFFUUUUUUUU

I'll do that loan.. 2%/day, max 7 days?

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 06:44:06 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2012, 02:15:07 AM by Otoh

buying on bitcoinica back up, my limit order was filled just over half an hour ago

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 08:17:54 PM

noobs get to be Mini-Zhoutonged before they get Fully-Zhoutonged. Grin
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 08:59:43 PM

noobs get to be Mini-Zhoutonged before they get Fully-Zhoutonged. Grin

I did.  Then I turned around and quadrupled some throw-away money, gave the gains to charity, and have not used Bitcoinica since.

In my opinion, Bitcoinica is pretty equivalent to a slightly complicated and undocumented coin-toss (unless one is actually hedging a more real-world endeavor.)  Happily I have the means to finance my own gambling and thus the luxury to avoid paying Zhou Tong for the privilege of playing in Bitcoin markets.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jothan

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 10:39:06 PM

Can't really blame him for that, it's how he makes money. Limit orders are the way to go, I got burnt by a trailing stop order.

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
zby (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 10:42:30 PM

How limit orders are better?  They are realized at the bitcoinica price - not the MtGox one and are subject to the same spread as 'buy now'.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: