Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:43:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon has just legitimized Bitcoin to the Entire World!!!!  (Read 4789 times)
tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:12:00 PM

Going mainstream or something?  Huh

Not yet, but Amazon has given BTC a thumbs up in it's favor, and basically laid out what needs to be done to get Amazon to integrate it.

Taking off the rose-tinted googles, here is what he actually said:
“Obviously it gets a lot of press and we have considered it,” Amazon payments head Tom Taylor told Re/code in a recent interview, “but we’re not hearing from customers that it’s right for them and don’t have any plans within Amazon to engage bitcoin.”

And here is the more pessimistic interpretation:
"Currently there is a lot of hype about Bitcoin, but not much more than that. Our customers don't want to use it, and we aren't going to jump on board just because tech blogs get all wobbly at the knees about it"

And, from the original interview:
I mentioned to Taylor that many industry execs expect Amazon to eventually build its own full-blown payments network to compete against the big credit card companies. Will we see a day when the Amazon logo appears at a checkout counter alongside American Express, Visa and MasterCard?

“If we felt like we could do a better job than Amex and Visa, and feel like it helps the customer experience, that’s something we would do,” he said. “But it would really have to be something much better than [what they do].”

Industry sources familiar with Amazon’s business believe it’s a question of “when,” not “if,” but Taylor wouldn’t provide any further details on the company’s thinking.

That seems far more likely than Amazon accepting Bitcoin.

Or even simpler:

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
ParsnipCommander (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:13:02 PM

Not yet, but Amazon has given BTC a thumbs up in it's favor, and basically laid out what needs to be done to get Amazon to integrate it.

“Obviously it gets a lot of press and we have considered it,” Amazon payments head Tom Taylor told Re/code in a recent interview, “but we’re not hearing from customers that it’s right for them and don’t have any plans within Amazon to engage bitcoin.”

"Currently there is a lot of hype about Bitcoin, but not much more than that. Our customers don't want to use it, and we aren't going to jump on board just because tech blogs get all wobbly at the knees about it"

I mentioned to Taylor that many industry execs expect Amazon to eventually build its own full-blown payments network to compete against the big credit card companies. Will we see a day when the Amazon logo appears at a checkout counter alongside American Express, Visa and MasterCard?

“If we felt like we could do a better job than Amex and Visa, and feel like it helps the customer experience, that’s something we would do,” he said. “But it would really have to be something much better than [what they do].”

Industry sources familiar with Amazon’s business believe it’s a question of “when,” not “if,” but Taylor wouldn’t provide any further details on the company’s thinking.

True, but don't forget where we came from... 2 years ago BTC was NOTHING... now it's getting a lot of press. The establishment doesn't jump ship this fast... it takes time. I'm staying positive Smiley
RockHound

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:21:51 PM

True, but don't forget where we came from... 2 years ago BTC was NOTHING... now it's getting a lot of press. The establishment doesn't jump ship this fast... it takes time. I'm staying positive Smiley

Good man! Will take time, perhaps not even in our lifetime? ie. 100 Years time, do you think we will still be using paper fiat money? I hope not
xv11

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:28:25 PM

sooner or later amazon will accept bitcoins and other crypto currencies
tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:39:41 PM

sooner or later amazon will accept bitcoins and other crypto currencies

Strong first post!

It was a commitment, actually.  Wink

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:54:06 PM

amazon could make millions in saved processing fees.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:23:44 AM

they Knixed it so that's a Slamdunk for Bitcoin

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:36:39 AM

Considering Amazon's partnership with Paypal, I really don't think that they will ever legitimize Bitcoin, as Paypal has declared an all out war against the former. Still.... this might be good news.
fancy_pants

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:44:15 AM

I just sent this to tech support at Amazon.  Feel free to copy/paste

Hello,

I would like to cancel my account to the point that I no longer exist in your database.  The reason is that I read today that Amazon has no intention to accept bitcoin as a payment method.

Where do I start?

Thanks
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:46:40 AM

Considering Amazon's partnership with Paypal, I really don't think that they will ever legitimize Bitcoin, as Paypal has declared an all out war against the former. Still.... this might be good news.

Are you confusing amazon with ebay?

ParsnipCommander (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:47:48 AM

they Knixed it so that's a Slamdunk for Bitcoin

Right, but I'm trying to see the bigger picture here. Even if they had this payment system up, the masses are still not educated yet... makes sense. Give it time.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:00:12 AM

I just sent this to tech support at Amazon.  Feel free to copy/paste

I think it will be better to launch an online petition. Flooding the tech support staff's inboxes with similar mails are never going to work. What can't we launch an online petition, and get it like 100k signatures?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:01:38 AM

I believe that is what he is doing
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:13:31 AM

I hope Amazon never accepts bitcoins, ever. Because if they did, they would convert it to fiat by selling it outright, thus driving down the btc price. Look what happened after overstock and tigerdirect started accepting btc. Amazon is much bigger, thus will have bigger effect.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:17:18 AM

If anything, Target should be looking at it.

They are still reeling from the credit card information scandal.  If they didn't have to store any information at all, they wouldn't have this problem.

Target should immediately set up an account with BitPay or Coinbase and start announcing to the world that you can now shop without giving your information.

Your post is right on Target.   Smiley
Let's send them some emails.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:07:27 AM

I hope Amazon never accepts bitcoins, ever. Because if they did, they would convert it to fiat by selling it outright, thus driving down the btc price. Look what happened after overstock and tigerdirect started accepting btc. Amazon is much bigger, thus will have bigger effect.
As mentioned elsewhere, people who spend BTC often buy it back.  Also, this is a necessary evil to go through until merchants buy and hold BTC
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:11:49 AM

Great news.
ParsnipCommander (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:13:06 AM

You think as BTC picks up they'd have more incentive to keep the money in BTC? Eventually people could get paid partially in BTC as well Smiley
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:14:20 AM

No. I am not. Amazon has special deals from time to time for Paypal users, just like those they have for various CC users.
jparsley

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 06:10:35 AM

That would promote the bitcoin network a lot

please unban me.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: