Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:39:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you define Bitcoin early/mid/late adopters?  (Read 1430 times)
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:38:58 PM

We are still in the early innovator phase
Definitely, bitcoin is sooo far from becoming a mainstream phenomenon. Until it is, we're still in the earliest stage of it.

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:41:55 PM

I can't believe people are seriously arguing that we are still in the early adopter phase - what?? Someone who starts using a technology 5 years after it comes out is an "early adopter" ? Wtf do you call the first people who started mining with CPUs then? Prehistoric adopters?
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:51:23 PM

I can't believe people are seriously arguing that we are still in the early adopter phase - what?? Someone who starts using a technology 5 years after it comes out is an "early adopter" ? Wtf do you call the first people who started mining with CPUs then? Prehistoric adopters?

Ok. Arguing without a point again.

To me early adopters = got in before GPUs and ASICs. Mid = Got in during GPU era. Late = Got in after asics came out and dominated mining.

And the ones that get in in a few years time when Bitcoin has reached mass adoption? What are they?
giantblckdld

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 02:14:48 PM

To me early adopters = got in before GPUs and ASICs. Mid = Got in during GPU era. Late = Got in after asics came out and dominated mining.

lol, so in 5 years you'll be a late late late late late late adopter ?
In 20 years you'll be a late late late late late late late late late late late late late late late late late late late late late adopter ?

Everyone is an early adopter right now and for some time. That's it.
dogechode

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 02:18:05 PM

This is a circular argument. Okay so what do you call people who start using the internet for the first time now, late late late adopters? Come on you guys are just being ridiculous and spiteful.

I think there needs to be at least some differentiating between people who started using bitcoin back before the average person had even heard of bitcoin. A few years ago if you asked 100 random people what bitcoin was, most would have told you they had no idea whatsoever. Now just about everyone I talk to has at least heard of it and many know a few basic things about it.
byt411

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 02:22:47 PM

This is a circular argument. Okay so what do you call people who start using the internet for the first time now, late late late adopters? Come on you guys are just being ridiculous and spiteful.

I think there needs to be at least some differentiating between people who started using bitcoin back before the average person had even heard of bitcoin. A few years ago if you asked 100 random people what bitcoin was, most would have told you they had no idea whatsoever. Now just about everyone I talk to has at least heard of it and many know a few basic things about it.

I cannot answer the question because it's not even worded correctly. Be specific. What period of time are you indicating for the ones that "started using the internet"?

They would be considered early adopters, I suppose.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 03:02:52 PM

And the ones that get in in a few years time when Bitcoin has reached mass adoption? What are they?

There's no guarantees that bitcoin is going to reach x amount of dollars or mass adoption. If bitcoin never rises above the current ATH then people buying recently are late adopters. If it does then I guess we could call the first generation of adopters 'pioneers', anyone buying under $1000 an 'early' adopter, and others can be the 'late-comers' Cheesy

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
dogechode

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:25:24 PM

I cannot answer the question because it's not even worded correctly. Be specific. What period of time are you indicating for the ones that "started using the internet"?

Reading comprehension? I said now. Didn't think that was a confusing term. If you can't understand a few simple sentences maybe you shouldn't be trying to make an argument here.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:53:31 PM

For the Internet, I'd say it went something like

pre-'94 innovators,
94-98 early adopters
98-2002 early majority
2002-2006 late majority
2006+ laggards.

Found this...
http://blogs.computerworld.com/sites/computerworld.com/files/u193/internet_adoption.jpg

Which makes me look closeish.

Agree with this and think his adoption lifecycle graphic is about right...
http://bitcorati.com/2014/03/23/bitcoin-tipping-point-mass-adoption/

Early majority will happen when you don't have to come here to find out where to buy bitcoin. Back in late 90s, maybe there'd be articles in PC magazines about "how to get online", and AOL CDs coming in the junk mail, before that, you first had to be aware of the internet, then research options to get online.

Anyway, when you see Cosmo with "Shop online with Bitcoin" on the cover, you'll know we're in mid majority phase.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
byt411

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 04:26:19 PM

Reading comprehension? I said now. Didn't think that was a confusing term. If you can't understand a few simple sentences maybe you shouldn't be trying to make an argument here.

Sorry about that. Didn't read it correctly.
I would simply call them newbies.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: