Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:44:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I didn't pay capital gains tax on bitcoin sales to IRS today  (Read 24012 times)
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:15:13 PM

what a fool leave sleeping dogs alone
The dogs are not asleep. The dogs of government are rabid, and they have been devouring innocent people for a hundred years. It's time to put them down.

Anyone who is worried about the tax implications of holding cryptocurrency, don't be. Cryptocurrency is the END of fiat, capiche?

There is no going back. Nation-state scrip is a dead thing walking. The IRS is a dead thing walking. The US dollar is most CERTAINLY a dead thing walking.

Even capitalism itself is rapidly becoming a dead thing walking.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nkocevar

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:16:15 PM

The dogs are not asleep. The dogs of government are rabid, and they have been devouring innocent people for a hundred years.

It's time to put them down.

Is this original? Or an actual quote?

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:18:04 PM

The dogs are not asleep. The dogs of government are rabid, and they have been devouring innocent people for a hundred years.

It's time to put them down.

Is this original? Or an actual quote?
Both, since you just quoted it.

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQdmsL147j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLCEXtpTNYU

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
bbeagle

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:22:32 PM

Jeez I only made $2400 this year before taxes. Then again im 15.

I think I can see where the divide is coming from. Older people with 'real' jobs who are making $50,000+ see no problems paying a few hundred in taxes. Younger people who don't make much see a few hundred as a 'lot' and want to avoid the taxes.

Or they've never paid taxes before, and don't understand why someone is trying to 'steal' their money. I felt the same way when I was younger. I only made $2.35 an hour. My paycheck was about $100 a week, and I had about $15 in taxes taken out of my paycheck each week. It seemed way beyond stealing to me. Then as I grew older, I learned how taxes worked, how the tax code worked, and although I still hate it, I understand more.

The IRS won't take even $1 out of an income of $2400.
Bronstad

Activity: 92

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:24:33 PM

Jeez I only made $2400 this year before taxes. Then again im 15.

I think I can see where the divide is coming from. Older people with 'real' jobs who are making $50,000+ see no problems paying a few hundred in taxes. Younger people who don't make much see a few hundred as a 'lot' and want to avoid the taxes.

Cheesy I'm sure you will find quite a few older people on this forum that have issue with paying taxes, regardless of amount.
bbeagle

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:27:57 PM

Cheesy I'm sure you will find quite a few older people on this forum that have issue with paying taxes, regardless of amount.

Sure, I have 'issues' with paying taxes. But I understand the consequences of NOT paying taxes as well.

cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:28:09 PM

If you mean that they were always owed, then you're wrong.
No, I'm not. Had you actually talked with a tax professional prior to the IRS guidance (which, given the nature of this thread, you hadn't), you would have known that taxes were always owed on realized gains from bitcoin. Again, it was just unclear whether bitcoins were either currency or property.

Again, I don't owe them anything. I EARN my money by adding value to the world. That value is legitimate by the fact that someone paid me VOLUNTARILY for my services. Any money I EARN is mine to do with as I wish, as by being its creator I have the authority over it.

Calling someone a "tax professional" and that person saying I owe doesn't make it so. Taxes are merely extortion by definition.

Grow up, Maged. You're a sheep, and a coward, and an accessory to extortion.

I'm grumpy!!
BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:28:44 PM

The last couple months there have been a lot of posts concerning the IRS ruling that bitcoins are to be treated as property and that it was required to pay a capital gains tax on the sale of bitcoins. Some people even posted that "bitcoin is doomed" because of the ruling.

To prove just how silly it is for people to worry about this, I created this thread to call out the IRS to prove what I owe in capital gains due to bitcoin sales.

So if there are any IRS employees trolling this thread, you're welcome to pour over the blockchain and tell me what I owe you.  Wink

They'll get your money if you sold BTC for Fiat they could care less about your blockchain. Your post would suggest you reported it but claim to owe no capital gains until proven. Your problem is they already have where you under a rock when they declared it property?

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
5flags

Activity: 224

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:53:03 PM

Taxes are merely extortion by definition.

+1 This...

+1.

Of course, it depends on who is doing the defining...

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
mrdeposit

Activity: 1358
Merit: 509

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:57:14 PM

Taxes are merely extortion by definition.

+1 This...

+1.

Of course, it depends on who is doing the defining...

The USD is back by the taxes we all pay. So we "Americans" are just property (slaves) of the USA.
botolo86

Activity: 200

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:05:51 PM

Again, I don't owe them anything. I EARN my money by adding value to the world. That value is legitimate by the fact that someone paid me VOLUNTARILY for my services. Any money I EARN is mine to do with as I wish, as by being its creator I have the authority over it.

Calling someone a "tax professional" and that person saying I owe doesn't make it so. Taxes are merely extortion by definition.

This is complete nonsense. I just want to give you an example. Part of the taxes which should be applied to your income is the social security tax, which is used to pay for current and future social security retirement benefits, benefits for widows and widowers, and disability benefits. What if nobody pays these taxes?

If you don't want to contribute to society, just go live on the Moon. if you are in the US and you benefit (or you may benefit in the future) of any kind of social service, then you should pay taxes. Otherwise, you seem like a grownup kid who lives in his parents' house and refuses to give a share of the rent because any money you earn is yours to do with as you wish.
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:13:12 PM

This is complete nonsense. I just want to give you an example. Part of the taxes which should be applied to your income is the social security tax, which is used to pay for current and future social security retirement benefits, benefits for widows and widowers, and disability benefits. What if nobody pays these taxes?

If you don't want to contribute to society, just go live on the Moon. if you are in the US and you benefit (or you may benefit in the future) of any kind of social service, then you should pay taxes. Otherwise, you seem like a grownup kid who lives in his parents' house and refuses to give a share of the rent because any money you earn is yours to do with as you wish.

I contribute to society every day by working in the private sector. That's why people pay me VOLUNTARILY for what I do - they value my services more than what they are paying me - so it is a net gain for them to do business with me.

By "social services", what you really mean are "services paid for with extorted funds".

If I hold a gun to your head, and told you to pay me and I'll build you a website, would that be right of me even if I actually did build you a website? Of course not. Calling a gang that does the same thing "government" doesn't change the morality.

I'm grumpy!!
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 03:16:00 PM

I will use physical force to extract a percentage of your income from you.

I will use this money to fund wars, I will use this money to surveil you, I will use this money to fund police brutality.

I will also use some of this money to keep the tax cows content.

I am the state.

While the state maintains a monopoly on deciding how much of our money to steal and what to do with it, it deliberately prevents alternative solutions.

whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:28:06 PM

If you don't pay taxes, how do you even exist in this country?

How do you move around without using public roads or sidewalks?

Or are you a freeloader?

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
botolo86

Activity: 200

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:28:25 PM

Guys, you should grow up. If you don't like this system, go live somewhere else.

If one day, I hope it will not happen, you will be disabled and you'll need disability benefits, you will remember this discussion and you will thank people paying taxes. If tomorrow you will loose your job, I hope it will not happen, you will thank people paying taxes for the check that government will give you to help you transit to a new job.
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:30:53 PM

I contribute to society every day by working in the private sector. That's why people pay me VOLUNTARILY for what I do - they value my services more than what they are paying me - so it is a net gain for them to do business with me.

By "social services", what you really mean are "services paid for with extorted funds".

If I hold a gun to your head, and told you to pay me and I'll build you a website, would that be right of me even if I actually did build you a website? Of course not. Calling a gang that does the same thing "government" doesn't change the morality.

So how are they supposed to build and maintain roads, garbage collection, sewage and water treatment, schools, police, national defense, etc etc etc? What do you propose, going around asking everyone nicely to please contribute what they think is fair and then praying that it covers the bills?

I'm not saying that the current system is ideal, but without FORCING people to pay to support these things, nobody would pay nearly enough to even maintain the barest essentials as listed above.
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 03:37:54 PM

So how are they supposed to build and maintain roads, garbage collection, sewage and water treatment, schools, police, national defense, etc etc etc? What do you propose, going around asking everyone nicely to please contribute what they think is fair and then praying that it covers the bills?

When anarchists try to explain their philosophy to statists, this is about the most common response.

If I use violence to extract money and to maintain a monopoly on the building of roads, then defenders of that regime can say "if the state didn't steal your money, we wouldn't have roads".

If I ensure people are defenceless, then defenders of the regime can say "if the state didn't steal your money, who would pay the police to protect you?"

The answer's aren't rocket science, but without reimagining society, most statists struggle to get their head around it. Most anarchists aren't simply saying stop paying taxes and leave everything as is. They are saying "what would happen if we lived in a world where violent coercion didn't exist?" "What would happen if instead of extorting money on threat of violence, we let individuals to work together to form communities, and let communities of communities work together?"

Society as it exists today is a symptom of the state.

IdealisticAnarchist

Activity: 41
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:44:11 PM

i hope you are at least posting this behind TOR and if not that the tax man won't subpoena the forum to disclose your ip to make an example.

Well... Ross Ulbricht also used the TOR browser and he thought that the FBI would never track him down. Guess what. He was wrong. So don't be overconfident and no need to brag about this.

Ross Ullbricht used his real name on a google account....  It wasn't a flaw in TOR....

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/10/how-the-feds-took-down-the-dread-pirate-roberts/

"A key break came when the agent found an October 11, 2011 post by Altoid, looking for an "IT pro in the Bitcoin community" and directing all inquiries to "rossulbricht at gmail dot com."
bbeagle

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:45:25 PM

"What would happen if instead of extorting money on threat of violence, we let individuals to work together to form communities, and let communities of communities work together?"

That's how it works now. Communities decide what things they need by voting for sewers, road, libraries, schools, etc. Community members pay for these through taxes. And if they don't pay, they lose their homes / go to jail.

How do you expect your 'communities working together' to work when people there don't contribute their fair share? Just let them get away with it? Your community will crumble really fast.

As a kid, riding your bike around the neighborhood, it seems that Mr. Smith can fix the roads, Mr. Jones can fix the sewers, Mary can teach the children, Jennifer can run the library, etc. etc. All working together in harmony. This is not capitalism - this is communism. I'm not for that. Some jobs are harder than others, thus people get compensated differently, thus people's commitment to the community is different, thus taxing a percentage of your earnings is a way to solve this.

whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:48:21 PM

The answer's aren't rocket science, but without reimagining society, most statists struggle to get their head around it. Most anarchists aren't simply saying stop paying taxes and leave everything as is. They are saying "what would happen if we lived in a world where violent coercion didn't exist?" "What would happen if instead of extorting money on threat of violence, we let individuals to work together to form communities, and let communities of communities work together?"

So what would happen? What are the answers?

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: