Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:39:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [InDev] [ANN] The revival of BitVegas - BTCVegas  (Read 5633 times)
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 11:50:43 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 05:29:28 PM by DiamondCardz

Again, this ended quite a while ago. Server has been passed off. I liked working on it and meeting guys from the old BitVegas but I co-own another server now and I don't feel it's ethical to work on this during that.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
9inety7even

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:53:31 PM

For hosting, Centarra/Tortoiselabs has dedicated servers that you can buy with bitcoin. For $100USD a month you can get a dedicated server with a Sandy Bridge Xeon, 16GB of RAM, 2TB of disk, and 100/1000 bandwidth. That should be plenty to run a high performance server with at least ~150 people, if not more.

You should note though, that the plan above is the lowest dedicated plan; if you don't need specs like those you should try one of their VPS options instead, which are fairly reasonable, especially with some of the coupons out there. If you do, try asking them for a discount for using fewer IPv4 addresses - the plan you would likely use comes with 16, and you would likely only need 3-4.

If you need help with hosting and other technical stuff let me know, I don't work for free but I'd be happy to contribute for a rank, or maybe a cut of the (future) profit.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:06:54 PM

Moida worked a long time on BitVegas and didn't release the first version until it was really done. He worked hard on security and the backend server, so you (and the people who will be working with you) will have to invest a lot of time and money into it before you can even think about profits or even releasing it to public. Bugs will be exploited

I would like to remind you that BitVegas was slowly losing it's bankroll. Moida said that we had to attract bigger players, so that we could regain what we lost from the faucet (because well, newbs don't deposit). However, we had a big enough bankroll to keep going for quite a while (months, if not years), so I doubt that the lack of money is the reason why BitVegas suddenly stopped.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
9inety7even

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:29:37 PM

Moida worked a long time on BitVegas and didn't release the first version until it was really done. He worked hard on security and the backend server, so you (and the people who will be working with you) will have to invest a lot of time and money into it before you can even think about profits or even releasing it to public. Bugs will be exploited

I would like to remind you that BitVegas was slowly losing it's bankroll. Moida said that we had to attract bigger players, so that we could regain what we lost from the faucet (because well, newbs don't deposit). However, we had a big enough bankroll to keep going for quite a while (months, if not years), so I doubt that the lack of money is the reason why BitVegas suddenly stopped.

I don't think security is as big of an issue as you think; bugs in the software are though. If you implement a system where everything is logged and manual verification is required for cashing out a certain amount in a certain time frame, you should be able to catch many people exploiting bugs. Obviously security audits are a must as well, but can be mostly automated.

I think overall the bankroll problem could be solved by moving people away from playing against the house, and having more games where players play against each other with a house rake. A house edge is useful only with a large number of bets over a long time, whereas a rake ensures a steady amount of income.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 03:23:30 PM

I'm aware bugs will be exploited, however as this is PvP the amount of bugs against the server is limited. The vast majority of our BTC will be stored offline and I'm not even going to take the risk of auto-withdrawals as they're too big a risk due to exploits. This does mean there will unfortunately be a delay on withdrawals but it is needed. Deposits will still be automatic if everything goes to plan.

steveds
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:25:32 PM

i will be helping with this a lot
steveds
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:11:02 AM

with pvp their are hacks and it will not work
i promise you just revive the bitvegas how it was and you will be fine i am aware of all the exploits that has happen to the original bitvegas server
first- auto withdrawals were bugged but fixed due to adding a time delay
second- mass referring was a thing(400+ refs of me <3)
there are more but i don't want to list them to give people ideas
coinnewbit

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:10:57 AM

Well, what can I do to help?
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 02:02:15 AM

i promise you just revive the bitvegas how it was and you will be fine i am aware of all the exploits that has happen to the original bitvegas server
Not pvp as in minecraft fighting, pvp as in player versus player gambling.

Nobody liked you, you abused the referral system against the rules and you will not be staff on the new server.
coinnewbit

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:16:45 AM

Not pvp as in minecraft fighting, pvp as in player versus player gambling.

Nobody liked you, you abused the referral system against the rules and you will not be staff on the new server.
I assume you are a member of thus project?
steveds
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 04:39:57 AM

so future staff is already harassing players i seem to think you have picked a wrong admin @diamond
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 09:14:45 AM

so future staff is already harassing players i seem to think you have picked a wrong admin @diamond

You will not be staff, sorry. A history of offences at BitVegas does not help your case, whether I decide to implement a referral program or decide not to.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 09:18:14 AM

Well, what can I do to help?

Send me a PM, we need people who can either volunteer to be staff on the server or help develop it (and receive a staff rank for that).

Also guys, I am working on more information which I will soon release in the OP, including our initial fundraiser to purchase/fund a good VPS to run BTCVegas on. Worst case scenario I will fund BTCVegas myself, but that's a secondary option, not my primary preference.

For hosting, Centarra/Tortoiselabs has dedicated servers that you can buy with bitcoin. For $100USD a month you can get a dedicated server with a Sandy Bridge Xeon, 16GB of RAM, 2TB of disk, and 100/1000 bandwidth. That should be plenty to run a high performance server with at least ~150 people, if not more.

You should note though, that the plan above is the lowest dedicated plan; if you don't need specs like those you should try one of their VPS options instead, which are fairly reasonable, especially with some of the coupons out there. If you do, try asking them for a discount for using fewer IPv4 addresses - the plan you would likely use comes with 16, and you would likely only need 3-4.

If you need help with hosting and other technical stuff let me know, I don't work for free but I'd be happy to contribute for a rank, or maybe a cut of the (future) profit.

Looking into Centarra right now, their deals look very good and have great specs for what we would need to run.

steveds
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:30:28 PM

may i ask what your in game name was?. If you were not staff you do not have grounds to talk about my status between staff.
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 01:34:17 PM

may i ask what your in game name was?. If you were not staff you do not have grounds to talk about my status between staff.
Uh, steveds, he kind of does have grounds to talk about your status between staff because he was staff.

steveds
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:35:28 PM

http://minecraft-servers.info/profile-steveds
post was deleted along time ago
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 01:36:42 PM

look that was an old posting and has been removed at discretion of staff if your players continue to harass me legal actions will be taken.

I'm not even going to reply to your PMs anymore, if my players continue to harass you legal actions will be taken? Steveds, right now this is a plan so I don't have any players. Calling you out is not harassment.

On-topic, I will be releasing more info today.

steveds
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:38:31 PM

http://minecraft-servers.info/server.php?id=194
thats funny seems king oflogic posted it not me
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 01:40:56 PM

thats funny seems king oflogic posted it not me

Now you're claiming he edited the image in your PMs to me yet a moment ago you were saying it was old and you had deleted it.

Sigh, please stop PMing me as I simply will not listen.

steveds
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:43:09 PM

look at the urls
and the one in the screenshot.
I posted mc.bitvegas.net on a various of sites but when i checked my account it said 0 added so its possible i removed it but the urls wouldn't match it was posted twice

Hope i don't get permed for logging in :O
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: