Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:03:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweden launches campaign to spread peace, love and democracy - through videogame  (Read 677 times)
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 05:21:10 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 05:39:14 PM by Nemo1024

The Swedish government has launched an initiative which it claims will spread values of democracy and creativity throughout the world – via the medium of video games.

Under the banner of Democreativity (a word-merge, apparently), a taskforce invited suggestions from around the world on the topic of “the most unlikely game ever made”.

It seems the government wants to get away from the country’s video-gaming staples of male-dominated violence and competition – Sweden’s most successful export so far in the industry has been the Battlefield franchise.

And according to Democreativity, gamers no longer want traditional male characters or female characters – they would prefer to play as an “indefinable”, non-gender entity like an emoticon or a cursor.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/sweden-launches-campaign-to-spread-peace-love-and-democracy--through-videogames-9264452.html

I shudder whenever someone says "promote democracy". It seems I am not the only one. On one of the Russian sites, re-printing the news, a reader posted the following comment:

A new game to promote democracy? But there's already Call of Duty.

I also see a further push for removal of gender roles and identity there.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 06:17:24 PM

Re-programming
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 06:49:13 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 06:59:29 PM by practicaldreamer

Do people want freedom ? Or do they wish to act as they see fit without being accountable for their actions (i.e.. they want power) ?

The thing with peace/love/democracy is that it only takes one bad apple to make the whole enterprise go pear shaped  Cry

The solution - take trust/responsibility out of the hands of the individual and decentralise/share it - thats why we all know there's something great about BTC - right ?  Wink

Don't know where video games fit in the grand scheme of things to be honest. I can see the function if they were to act as vents for aggression etc. - but quite how they'd promote peace/love/ democracy I don't know.
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 06:56:22 PM

I think Wilikon nailed it with one word, but I would even remove the "re-" bit. Take 'em while they're young.

There are already games out there that promote kindness and familiy values in a subtle way, without actually stating it as a goal.
I start getting weary when a government starts stating such goals.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:12:55 AM

A government is the last thing that would know anything about peace, love or democracy, so it's no wonder they need so many people to explain it to them.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:04:10 AM

Oh... Sweden... the land of radical feminists and emasculated males.  Grin

http://whitegenocideproject.com/stalinist-sweden-new-law-criminalizes-criticism-of-immigration/

A new law will come into effect in Sweden after Christmas 2014, and it will allow people to be prosecuted for criticizing immigration or politician’s unwillingness to tackle the issue. The Constitutional Committee’s report has been voted for in parliament, seen in a letter from the Parliamentary Offices. Member of Parliament Andrew Norlén, member of the Constitutional Committee, has been pushing the issue and he says it will rapidly become a deterrent.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 04:12:01 AM

Well this was a weird one for me
So I play as a buttocks shaped pair of toasted shorts

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:07:16 AM

Why are modern video games so amazingly violent?
In a "free market" certainly there must be a demand for peaceful competition?

OK, maybe not this peaceful.  Cheesy

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:49:17 AM

I think Wilikon nailed it with one word, but I would even remove the "re-" bit. Take 'em while they're young.

There are already games out there that promote kindness and familiy values in a subtle way, without actually stating it as a goal.

But based on your assumption ,we have to tackle  everything that a government does as a possible threat to our liberty , pockets , minds?

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 11:03:20 AM

But based on your assumption ,we have to tackle  everything that a government does as a possible threat to our liberty , pockets , minds?

Not exactly tackle, but governments tend to have a nasty track record in those areas, so any such initiative automatically raises a few red flags and blows a few whistles.

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:41:55 AM

Not exactly tackle, but governments tend to have a nasty track record in those areas, so any such initiative automatically raises a few red flags and blows a few whistles.

Worrying that much about what the government is planning to do will get you killed faster from stress than they can do it.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄