Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:39:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should we switch the forum software?
Noooo, I love SMF
Would be nice, but not realizable
I don't care
Yes, phpBB is much better
Yes, vBulleting is much more powerful

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Switch forum software?  (Read 4450 times)
Cdecker (OP)

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 03:42:30 PM

I like the Simple Machines Forum, but there are definitely some nice features I miss. I wonder whether this is felt by more users.

The main problem I see is that there are far too many links from the outside to the existing forum so that a migration is not really feasible, but adding a second Forum and making the old one read only, or making it read only subforum by subforum.

What do you think?

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 04:54:25 PM

There are much better ways for people to spend their time improving Bitcoin, instead of switching the forum software to obtain minor (if any) improvement.

Having said that, the one thing I love about vBulletin is the "Thanks" button on every post, as a simple way to allocate and track karma.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 05:12:02 PM

Smf has a major problem (or not, I'd love to be wrong) that you can't stop watching threads, or watch threads without posting a comment. I voted phpBB.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 06:51:12 PM

I like SMF.

Having said that, the one thing I love about vBulletin is the "Thanks" button on every post, as a simple way to allocate and track karma.

SMF also supports this (through a mod). This forum just doesn't have it enabled.

Smf has a major problem (or not, I'd love to be wrong) that you can't stop watching threads, or watch threads without posting a comment. I voted phpBB.

You can get notifications without posting.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 08:10:10 PM

How? I vote keep it the same, maybe make a few mods like the thanks button but it's not worth the effort to change it.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
M4v3R

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 08:12:11 PM

Maybe just upgrade to 2.0, which has a LOT more features?
fimp

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 08:41:44 PM

How? I vote keep it the same, maybe make a few mods like the thanks button but it's not worth the effort to change it.
The feature was enabled again just a few days ago. See http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5664.0

foxmulder

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 03:07:57 PM

fluxbb would be nicer Smiley.
trumpetx

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 04:37:19 AM

SMF or vBulletin IMO

MinerStatus Android Application Author
Donate: 1Eyr5mN54UyprUHAw1zXLvkvtDNeG9erD7 to support this project. (Total Received) or sign up for Tradehill
Cdecker (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 08:23:53 AM

Ok, right now we're pretty 50:50 on a possible change.
The things I'm missing the most are (in no particular order and incomplete list):
  • Daily/Weekly digest of new posts
  • Portal with only my subscribed topics (changes on top)
  • Subscribe to subforums (the chinese kids write so much non-sense, and I'm a techie, why should I have to wade through those topics too?)
  • Better code highlighting
  • More control over the profile page
I'm sure this list will get longer over time. Mainly its stuff for users that are on the forum on a daily basis and makes little things easier.

Edit: Is it true that SMF 2.0 has been under development for 6 (!!!) years? (source: Changelog)

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
fetokun

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 08:31:14 AM

voted the first option, but I don't love sfm  Tongue

Cdecker (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 08:33:00 AM

voted the first option, but I don't love sfm  Tongue
Just noticed that I didn't add a neutral answer for "no" or "yes" to the poll, sorry.

Bitcoin-OTC Rating
M4v3R

Activity: 607

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 02:12:35 PM

Edit: Is it true that SMF 2.0 has been under development for 6 (!!!) years? (source: Changelog)

If you study the changelog carefully, yes, the first entries come from 2005, but the real development started in 2007 when first betas came out. Still, that's 4 years...
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 05:49:50 AM

Too much work, I voted "I don't care". The forum is OK.  I agree it's not perfect, and could use those extra features, but I don't see it as a priority for bitcoin right now.

If you're going to work on the site, fix https Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 06:25:43 AM

How about moving to a MODERN forum, like xenForo?

Here's my xenForo forum, for example.  It's cheap, and scores better than overpriced vBulletin or spam-ridden phpBB.  I'm not a big fan of SMF either, after using xenForo.  It's so smooth and slick and beautiful, and it actually works really, really well.

http://www.minecraftcc.com/index.php?forum/
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2011, 12:57:28 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2011, 01:26:56 AM by Inaba

God, I've been trying to get use to this forum software but it's just so dated and clunky.  I really hate SMF, I've decided.

Please switch it to anything else.

It would be really nice to have vBulletins trader plugin that allows rating of deals done through the site, like Heatware or eBay Feedback.  Built right in...  You could also add the auction plugin as well to the site if you were so inclined.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Anonymous

May 13, 2011, 01:42:11 AM

The existing forum is like pulling on a comfortable old pair of alpaca socks and underpants with holes in them. You just wouldn't date a supermodel wearing old socks and holey undies.

Smiley
lulzplzkthx

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 08:24:58 AM

I have always hated SMF. It feels outdated, I seem to remember quite a few security issues way back when (don't quote me,) it's hard, if not impossible to watch / unwatch threads, and again, it just looks gross.

phpBB is beautiful in my opinion, and I frequently steal their template system for my projects. The front-end is beautiful, the code is beautiful, it's powerful, and it's open-source.

vBulletin and IPB for me will always be out of the question.

kseistrup

Activity: 566

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 08:32:00 AM

I prefer an NNTP/Usenet forum to a web forum any day.  Web fora sucks, IMHO.

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 08:58:23 AM

I prefer an NNTP/Usenet forum to a web forum any day.  Web fora sucks, IMHO.
You can easily start one these days.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: