Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:45:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solidcoin DMCA takedown  (Read 10169 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 08:55:46 PM

Scamcoin is so much fail, i totally agree.

Speaking about law, how "lawful" is using the hashing power of your pool to perform an attack? Without informing the users mining there?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 09:35:44 PM

Of course reverse engineering the solidcoin "bits" would be a violation of his closed source license.
Reverse engineering is a fair use right under US law. As is interoperability (including overriding trademark law).

jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:17:41 PM

I'm late on the subject but oh my, this almost too rich XD

If only the gestapo trusted nodes could get the same special treatment...
What boggles my mind is, there apparently still are people mining ScamCoin.
jothan

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:29:57 PM

He had it coming. It came.

Now I'm just waiting for the Oracle lawsuit for BDB copyright infringement. One of the only things Oracle is good for nowadays is annoying people with lawsuits.

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
Ahimoth

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:32:19 PM

Now I'm just waiting for the Oracle lawsuit for BDB copyright infringement. One of the only things Oracle is good for nowadays is annoying people with lawsuits.

I thought the BDB issue was that the solidcoin source was unavailable? It was on github, and its still on solidcoin.info as a download.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:36:45 PM

I thought the BDB issue was that the solidcoin source was unavailable? It was on github, and its still on solidcoin.info as a download.

And released under a proprietary license which restricts the usage of said software and prohibits derivative works unless approved by the author.  

Open source =/= source code available.  If it did then windows is "open source".
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:44:15 PM

He was bragging about it and its covered here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56791.0

edit - also did solidcoin get any notice of the dmca notice? was the license requested to be put back in? i know ignorance is no excuse for the law and i am certainly not standing up for solidcoin but i dislike luke, and i think the DMCA is a PoS, this could have been dealt with better i think.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:51:05 PM

sorry for OT but did this ---v  really happen? I only heard about the 'random' text in block headers.

Speaking about law, how "lawful" is using the hashing power of your pool to perform an attack? Without informing the users mining there?
It's slander, nothing more.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:54:00 PM

He was bragging about it and its covered here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56791.0

edit - also did solidcoin get any notice of the dmca notice? was the license requested to be put back in? i know ignorance is no excuse for the law and i am certainly not standing up for solidcoin but i dislike luke, and i think the DMCA is a PoS, this could have been dealt with better i think.

How should theft of copyrighted material be dealt with.  Especially given the generous terms it is licensed under.  There is pretty much no "looser" licensing than MIT license.  Failure to comply was intentional.

If it were me I would have done a takedown notice against the website also not just the github.  The website exists to facilitate the theft of copyrighted material.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:57:58 PM

I'm saying the DMCA should be the last resort, and it may have been, i was just asking if they got any notice of the infringement, maybe one person did it and all involved are being punished...

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Nachtwind

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 11:02:18 PM

I'm saying the DMCA should be the last resort, and it may have been, i was just asking if they got any notice of the infringement, maybe one person did it and all involved are being punished...

Depends.. RealSolid had all the time in the world to undo his "mistakingly removing of copyright notices" and everything would have been settled.
Also its not exactly easy to violate MIT licence... someone really has to do an effort to violate it. Also besides not readding the copyrights he claimed often enough authorship of said code hence claiming himself owner of all rights which is copyright infringement...

Also, i was told by a close supporter of him in BTC-E chat, that RS already knew for a while that this takedown would come and didnt do anything to prevent it.. so, well deserved. DMCA takedown might be a bit much, but then again, better than a lawsuit from oracle i'd say...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 11:02:40 PM

The author has been notified multiple times by multiple parties on multiple forums.  To paraphrase his attitude; "I don't give a fuck."provide the copyright.

You don't accidentally violate the MIT license license.  You don't accidentally remove someone elses copyright and then copyright something you didn't create.

Likewise solid coin is in violation of the berkeley db license and the attitude is simply that Oracle won't ever care enough to come after a project like SolidCoin.  The reality is it may not given how pathetically small and crippled the project is.  That doesn't change the fact that the author has engaged in willful piracy of copyrighted material.  

When the person in question is willfully non-compliance what action should be taken?  "Pretty please"?  Honest question what should happen in a case of WILLFUL non-compliance.
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 11:03:38 PM

Good riddance.  Shame it wasn't done months ago.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 12:35:43 AM

sorry for OT but did this ---v  really happen? I only heard about the 'random' text in block headers.

It's slander, nothing more.
No, this is still Libel. Pickup a fucking dictionary,
Slander is what many of us will be doing, when calling up your Church and Bible thumping buddies to inform them of your (QUOTED) views on the Pope and Catholicism.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 12:36:23 AM

For the moment I got scared and believed that actually Luke-Jr wrote the bool SelectCoinsMinConf(). But, thank God, no, it was just another symptom of Luke-Jr's inferiority complex. Satoshi wrote the original knapsack solver SelectCoins() and added the iterative modification to prefer aged coins.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/e2a186af10d81a0e27b2e7c34783711d65caeae7

s_nakamoto authored November 09, 2010

The world is back in order.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 12:43:58 AM

Obviously I was referring to commit a14bf1946dfade7c615cd41924c7cd41abdbc119

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:34:05 AM

Dear Luke-Jr:

SolidCoin (https://github.com/solidcoin/solidcoin/) is infringing on my copyright of code originally contributed to Bitcoin (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/) under the MIT license. The specific substantial code I hold the copyright to appears in at least wallet.cpp in both Bitcoin and SolidCoin, in the method CWallet::SelectCoinsMinConf. I licensed this code under the MIT license, and SolidCoin has stripped my copyright and terms from all the code, in violation of this license.

Vanitas vanitatum, omnia vanitas

You should print those and take the printouts to your Confessor. He will explain to you which of the Seven Deadly Sins you committed and what is the appropriate penance. If you are going to be honest, the penance will not involve inserting Christian and Marian graffiti into the coinbases. I'm positive that there are Catholic priests who'll understand what you did to CoiledCoin and prescribe the penance appropriate to your deeds. What you did to yourself is much worse than what you did to CoiledCoin.

You were given free will and you know what you need to do.

And then your torment will cease.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
localhost

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 10:54:41 AM

Yes, I filed the DMCA takedown. If you have a problem with that, that's your problem for supporting plagerism and copyright infringement. The MIT license is not very hard to comply with. It has a single requirement: maintain the copyright line(s) and license text as-is. It is impossible to "accidentally" violate as RealSolid is supposedly claiming.
Ok, I guess that more than makes it up for the bad karma you got from blowing that other coin a few days ago.  Grin

-
Matoking

Activity: 352

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 01:28:07 PM

CoinHunter/RealSolid had to purposely remove those copyright notices. He actually put work into removing those lines of text to violate the license. Why would anyone do that? What an idiot.

He wants to pretend that SolidCoin is a unique creation.  Remember it is "ready for the bitcoin collapse".  Kinda hard to sell that when it is 99% copied Bitcoin code.  

TL/DR version he has a huge ego and he could never accept giving credit to anyone else.  He has been notified of this multiple times on this forum and on the ScamCoin forum so any claim of "accident" is dubious.  Kinda like accidentaly not realizing your are driving drunk .... for 9 months ... after getting pulled over multiple times.
His hashing algorithm also (used for proof of work) includes this little gem. In the light of the recent events the "real programmers" part is very ironic.

Code:
static unsigned char SomeArrogantText3[]="What's up with kids like artforz that think it's good to attack other's work? He spent a year in the bitcoin scene riding on the fact he took some other guys SHA256 opencl code and made a miner out of it. Bravo artforz, meanwhile all the false praise goes to his head and he thinks he actually is a programmer. Real programmers innovate and create new work, they win through being better coders with better ideas. You're not real artforz, and I hear you like furries? What's up with that? You shouldn't go on IRC when you're drunk, people remember the weird stuff.";

In case you people thought he was being honest with creating a Bitcoin killer.

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
p2k

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 02:57:27 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2012, 03:12:12 PM by p2k

Hello everyone,

as you might know, I'm writing a new pool software. Being pretty much unaware of any history and consequences, I've also incorporated SolidCoin support by using parts of CoinHunter/RealSolid's code.

As I'm now seeing this DMCA going on, I'm worried about my project (it is licensed under the GPLv3). Should I remove SolidCoin support and related code in order to comply with the laws?

Please state your answer as neutral as possible. I know everyone hates RS and SC is wrong and whatnot, but I don't care so much for that personal opinions. I'm offering a neutral software; you can decide yourself if, for which chain, and for what reason you want to use it.

p2k

EDIT: The parts that got incorporated only involve the hashing algorithms, that is a sha256 implementation, blake512 and a modified version of rshash (it's modified so the ridiculous texts/insults can't be seen).
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: