Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 03:39:56 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does BTC Value Even Matter for Whales?  (Read 2519 times)
jcoin200 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:29:48 PM

I have been holding and waiting for a good opportunity to buy more BTC, but recently started to realize that the value of BTC might not necessarily rise like it did last year.  The value does not have to go very high for "whales" to make money.  They just need to get in and out at the right time.

So is it just me or does it seem like the recent swings in BTC price are being controlled so that people can still make money while keeping the value down?
nkocevar

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:34:44 PM

I have been holding and waiting for a good opportunity to buy more BTC, but recently started to realize that the value of BTC might not necessarily rise like it did last year.  The value does not have to go very high for "whales" to make money.  They just need to get in and out at the right time.

So is it just me or does it seem like the recent swings in BTC price are being controlled so that people can still make money while keeping the value down?

You mean controlled by large bitcoin holders? (Those with a large bitcoin balance)

jcoin200 (OP)

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:39:01 PM

Yeah by people why know they can make a quick profit by pumping and dumping, and are not concerned with the price rising to new highs
nkocevar

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:51:56 PM

Yeah by people why know they can make a quick profit by pumping and dumping, and are not concerned with the price rising to new highs

It is very possible that this is happening... Is there any way to track the transactions to see if there are people doing this?

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:36:21 PM

i'm pretty sure whales would be more than happy to have the prices even higher.

Also, the bitcoin price is following the longterm trend like a charm, so what are you even talking about?
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:41:47 PM

yes it matters, unless they don't care about losing money.  I have never met someone who doesn't care of the value of their investment.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 06:45:22 PM

Whales can influence the market with large buys or dumps and also buy/sell walls. They might get some insider info from exchanges too.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
p0peji

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:46:16 PM

They could just be squeezing the last bit of profit from their investments.
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:48:26 PM

yes it matters, unless they don't care about losing money.  I have never met someone who doesn't care of the value of their investment.
Whales can be more like hedge funds as well, not only ordinary 'buy that thing' investment funds.
Hedge funds can make money by shorting on downtrends freely, so they may or may not care, according to their strategy.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 08:00:19 PM

They could just be squeezing the last bit of profit from their investments.

My opinion:
When a stock rises and you can manipulate it you can make a lot of little profits on the way up by forcing it to collapse by selling.
Buy walls, sell walls forcing the market to become volatile and predictable for the whale manipulating is.
This way a whale can make multiple times the money on a rising market.
When we get to da moon the whale will be on mars Cheesy

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:33:04 AM

I am sure that the Bitcoin whales would rather the market expanded, but since it is declining and liquidity is draining away from the market, obviously many whale entities are going to continue to excerise their market clout to extract as much fiat from the declining market as possible, and that means pump n dump.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
nkocevar

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:36:05 AM

Couldnt they make more money in the long run if the price of bitcoin continued to rise? They could pump and dump as much as they want even if the price sits at $1000/BTC right?

MatTheCat

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:42:37 AM

Couldnt they make more money in the long run if the price of bitcoin continued to rise? They could pump and dump as much as they want even if the price sits at $1000/BTC right?

Yes indeed. But for Bitcoin to get up to $1000, there has to be enough buying pressure in the market to soak up all the Bitcoins that are for sale between this price and $1000. Where is the interest in Bitcoin going to come from? Is a whale going to use his wealth to ramp the price up to $1000 being lumbered with all those expensive coins only for the organic market forces to bid spot price right back down leaving the whale seriously underwater?

Whales will try and pump the price as high as is required in order to maximise their profits. Selling at a high as possible price is how the best profits are made.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
nkocevar

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:45:56 AM

Yes indeed. But for Bitcoin to get up to $1000, there has to be enough buying pressure in the market to soak up all the Bitcoins that are for sale between this price and $1000. Where is the interest in Bitcoin going to come from? Is a whale going to use his wealth to ramp the price up to $1000 being lumbered with all those expensive coins only for the organic market forces to bid spot price right back down leaving the whale seriously underwater?

Whales will try and pump the price as high as is required in order to maximise their profits. Selling at a high as possible price is how the best profits are made.

Couldnt the bitcoin price being driven up also put more buyers in the market for BTC?

startallover

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:46:46 AM

of course it does. Lower btc price allows them to buy them in at a cheap
turtlerabbit

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:52:26 AM

Depends. ... if they are holding it .... like the winklevoss brothers.
MatTheCat

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:01:41 AM

Couldnt the bitcoin price being driven up also put more buyers in the market for BTC?

Yes, but clearly only up to a point. Obviously there are limits to how high a price can be driven before a saturation point is met.

nkocevar

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:09:56 AM

Yes, but clearly only up to a point. Obviously there are limits to how high a price can be driven before a saturation point is met.

How high do you think the saturation point is for bitcoin?

MatTheCat

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:22:54 AM

With all factors taken into consideration (demand, supply, hoarding, fake volume, pumping, dumping, hacking,):

It was $1200.

It is currently $496.

In the future it will trend much lower until or unless some kind of X-Factor has kicked in and takes it to the next level.

The two most recent Bitcoin bubbles have all involved it being used as a medium for capital flight. I expect more of the same at some point down the line. Exactly when, I couldn't possibly say.

nkocevar

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:34:08 AM

With all factors taken into consideration (demand, supply, hoarding, fake volume, pumping, dumping, hacking,):

It was $1200.

It is currently $496.

In the future it will trend much lower until or unless some kind of X-Factor has kicked in and takes it to the next level.

The two most recent Bitcoin bubbles have all involved it being used as a medium for capital flight. I expect more of the same at some point down the line. Exactly when, I couldn't possibly say.

Do you believe bitcoin will ever reach $10,000+ per?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: