Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:22:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when people don't need to convert to fiat?  (Read 699 times)
btcKaboom (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:09:02 PM

When everyone uses bitcoin, will get to a point where ppl won't even accept fiat for bitcoin.

Like the matrix
Neo: r u telling me I'll be able to sell my coins for 1mil each?
Morph: no neo. I'm saying when bitcoin is ready, you won't have to

But first, there needs to be things everyone wants, but only bitcoin can buy.
For most ppl Ideology and price speculation won't be enough.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 06:23:06 PM

If they don't need to convert it then they won't. But something tangible will always be used as money by many, even if virtual currencies take over.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 09:25:16 PM

nah i'd buy stuff with bitcoins once the price has risen a lot, because otherwise i'd have to transfer bitcoins to the exchange first and i'll hit the $10.000 withdrawal limit if i want to buy a car or something.

If they don't need to convert it then they won't. But something tangible will always be used as money by many, even if virtual currencies take over.

only by old farts really, the current age is used to a virtual life. Pretty much their whole life is virtual. I mean people communicate more to each other on facebook and whatsapp than they do in person. They are glued to their mobile phone which is constantly connected with the internet. Having internet money is only a logical next step.
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 09:45:48 PM

nah i'd buy stuff with bitcoins once the price has risen a lot, because otherwise i'd have to transfer bitcoins to the exchange first and i'll hit the $10.000 withdrawal limit if i want to buy a car or something.

only by old farts really, the current age is used to a virtual life. Pretty much their whole life is virtual. I mean people communicate more to each other on facebook and whatsapp than they do in person. They are glued to their mobile phone which is constantly connected with the internet. Having internet money is only a logical next step.

Don't know about you, but I think my cut-off for "old fart" isn't as broad as liking tangible objects.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:15:34 PM

I will never exclusively use virtual currency. It's nobody's business how I spend my money and for the purpose of privacy paper is still the best. Also zimmah is a fool pay him no attention.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:46:15 PM

I will never exclusively use virtual currency. It's nobody's business how I spend my money and for the purpose of privacy paper is still the best. Also zimmah is a fool pay him no attention.

what do you base that opinion on?
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 5043

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:04:52 PM

Well, there are certainly similar currencies that are working this way, albeit on a much smaller scale:

http://brixtonpound.org/why-use-b-2/b-benefits/

Bitcoin has the potential to be the universally accepted "brixton pound" for the whole world.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: