Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:55:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC transfer are too damn slow!  (Read 6043 times)
Gazza1 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:27:05 PM

Time for a FIX.

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:41:52 PM

Are you kidding? A transfer takes less than a second...

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:05:07 PM

I'm gonna need about 10 minutes to confirm your post.

...And give me 0.0001 BTC, too.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:06:58 PM

He said transfers not confirmations. There's a huge difference....

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:07:35 PM

posting a cheque my mail - maybe next day to deliver - 3-5 business days to clear
wire transfer - 3-5 days in america
cash - instant, although ATM's have daily limits for larger amount

bitcoin - receive instantly - clears in 10 minutes if you pay a greedy mining pool

the fix for bitcoin if you are talking about greedy mining pools delaying confirmations is to stop them taxing bitcoins with 5c fee's that not many people want to pay. if it were 0.5c maximum, people would pay.

i hope not to see a reply that fe's prevent spam. as that idea is stupid. blocks are only 10% filled on average. and bitcoin can code different rules such as a 3 confirm requirement between spends. this would make it so spammers cant fill up every block.. just every third block.

after all we are suppose to be allowing microtransactions, not preventing them. so that news media subscriptions, vending machines and small priced products can be bought, advertising commissions can be transferred instantly in small amounts instead of accumulated to send in batches. all without a 5c fee being added.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:11:28 PM

posting a cheque my mail - maybe next day to deliver - 3-5 business days to clear
wire transfer - 3-5 days in america
cash - instant, although ATM's have daily limits for larger amount

bitcoin - receive instantly - clears in 10 minutes if you pay a greedy mining pool

the fix for bitcoin if you are talking about greedy mining pools delaying confirmations is to stop them taxing bitcoins with 5c fee's that not many people want to pay. if it were 0.5c maximum, people would pay.

i hope not to see a reply that fe's prevent spam. as that idea is stupid. blocks are only 10% filled on average. and bitcoin can code different rules such as a 3 confirm requirement between spends. this would make it so spammers cant fill up every block.. just every third block.

after all we are suppose to be allowing microtransactions, not preventing them. so that news media subscriptions, vending machines and small priced products can be bought, advertising commissions can be transferred instantly in small amounts instead of accumulated to send in batches. all without a 5c fee being added.

I've never had a transaction confirm in 10 minutes. What's the quickest time one will take to fully confirm?
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:15:48 PM

What's the quickest time one will take to fully confirm?

Define "fully confirm"...

Anyone who states bitcoin is too slow is either lying, or ignorant.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Dogtanian

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:20:00 PM

You know, be able to spend the coins you receive.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:46:23 PM

I wonder something...

How does mining difficulty affect transaction speed ?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:47:10 PM

I've spent coins within 1 second of receiving them where the transaction that I received them in had 0 confirmations.  Due to the transaction malleability issue, this won't always work, but it typically does.

Once a transaction has a single confirmation, it can be reliably spent 99+% of the time.

If you are unable to do so, then that is a limitation that the wallet you've chosen to use is placing on you.  It is not a limitation of the bitcoin protocol.

(Note, there is an exception for newly mined bitcoins.  Those are required by the protocol to have 100 confirmations before you can spend them)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:50:19 PM

I wonder something...

Mining difficulty adjusts automatically every 2016 blocks to try to keep the confirmation speed close to 10 minutes per additional confirmation after the first confirmation.

The difficulty has no direct effect on transaction speed.  Transaction speed directly depends entirely on how well connected your wallet (and your recipient's wallet) is to the rest of the network, what the internet bandwidth is of the peers, and whether your transaction has extremely small outputs.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:51:19 PM

Technically a fully confirmed transaction has 6 confirmations ...

Up to 6 confirmations there are several documented attack vectors that can be used against it....

It just hasnt happened because the cost of doing so, is astronomically high.

Much like anything in computer security, it all can be hacked, but time & cost make many attacks not worth it.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:52:42 PM

I wonder something...

Mining difficulty adjusts automatically every 2016 blocks to try to keep the confirmation speed close to 10 minutes per additional confirmation after the first confirmation.

The difficulty has no direct effect on transaction speed.  Transaction speed directly depends entirely on how well connected your wallet (and your recipient's wallet) is to the rest of the network, what the internet bandwidth is of the peers, and whether your transaction has extremely small outputs.

Yeah, transaction broadcast speed is quite amazing actually.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:06:06 PM

Technically a fully confirmed transaction has 6 confirmations ...

Technically, there is no such thing as "fully confirmed".  6 confirmations is a "rule of thumb", than many wallets have chosen to implement.  There are other wallets that require other numbers of confirmations.  There is nothing about 6 confirmations that makes it more special than 5 confirmations or 7 confirmations.

Up to 6 confirmations there are several documented attack vectors that can be used against it....

Any attack vector that works against 5 confirmations, also works against 6 confirmations (it just costs more and requires more hardware).

It just hasnt happened because the cost of doing so, is astronomically high.

Much like anything in computer security, it all can be hacked, but time & cost make many attacks not worth it.

So, then, what does "fully confirmed" mean?
Dogtanian

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:08:15 PM

I've spent coins within 1 second of receiving them where the transaction that I received them in had 0 confirmations.  Due to the transaction malleability issue, this won't always work, but it typically does.

Once a transaction has a single confirmation, it can be reliably spent 99+% of the time.

If you are unable to do so, then that is a limitation that the wallet you've chosen to use is placing on you.  It is not a limitation of the bitcoin protocol.

(Note, there is an exception for newly mined bitcoins.  Those are required by the protocol to have 100 confirmations before you can spend them)

Interesting. I'll try it next time. I thought coins had to be full confirmed before they could be spent.
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:08:24 PM

He said transfers not confirmations. There's a huge difference....

If you can name a place that gives you goods and services before your payment is confirmed, please let me know so I can begin scamming them for being dumb.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:11:38 PM

I also wonder, how does the priority system work ?

I know that it is related to the localisation. What about the amount of fees ?

Would it be possible to specialize miners or a pool to confirm specific transactions in priority ?
Gazza1 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:12:38 PM

10 minute per confirm is too long when exchanges require 3-6+

It has nothing to do with patience, but everything to do with time is money.

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
Dogtanian

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:14:19 PM

10 minute per confirm is too long when exchanges require 3-6+

It has nothing to do with patience, but everything to do with time is money.

That's the exchanges fault for making them rules.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:15:12 PM

Interesting. I'll try it next time. I thought coins had to be full confirmed before they could be spent.

The number of confirmations required depends on the wallet you are using.

Some wallets require 1 confirmation.  Some wallets require 3 confirmations. Some wallets require 6 confirmations.

The phrase "full confirmed" is a "rule of thumb" for people who don't understand the protocol.  To protect them from their lack of knowledge, the creators of early wallets built in a concept of a transaction not being displayed as "completely confirmed" until it has 6 confirmations.  This is a user interface implementation and not a rule of the protocol.

Creators of later wallets reduced the number of confirmations they required.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: