Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:34:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC transfer are too damn slow!  (Read 6043 times)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:17:31 PM

Are you kidding? A transfer takes less than a second...

I'm gonna need about 10 minutes to confirm your post.

...And give me 0.0001 BTC, too.

He said transfers not confirmations. There's a huge difference....

If you can name a place that gives you goods and services before your payment is confirmed, please let me know so I can begin scamming them for being dumb.

I personally do many exchanges without waiting for confirmations.  It all depends on the trust relationship between the sender and the receiver.  If I know where you live, and/or where you work, and/or who many of your friends or family are, I'll happily sell you stuff in exchange for 0 confirmation bitcoin transactions.  If you scam me, I WILL come collect what is mine.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:20:45 PM

this problem becomes painfully clear when there's a breaking news coming out, when I need to transfer coins to an exchange and sell, after all my LTCs had been sold my BTCs were still waiting for confirmations. This happened several times.

The altcoin naysayers would tell you that 6 confirmations of LTC is less secure than 6 BTC confirmations, the fact of the matter is, on virtually all exchanges, depositing LTC is much faster than BTC. That's a fact.

superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:21:10 PM

If you can name a place that gives you goods and services before your payment is confirmed, please let me know so I can begin scamming them for being dumb.

In case you guys don't know, it take 48 hours to confirm a VISA card transaction. It doesn't even confirm on week-end.

Basically everything you buy with a debit/credit card let you buy before the confirmation of transaction.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:22:57 PM

10 minute per confirm is too long when exchanges require 3-6+

It has nothing to do with patience, but everything to do with time is money.

Paypal takes 6 months to confirm as do credit cards - they can reverse the payment anytime up to 6 months later (hence exchanges don't accept paypal or credit cards)
A bank transfer is not instant.

Your complaint is that exchanges are not willing to accept immediate transfer of funds of Bitcoins even though it's vastly quicker than every other mechanism?

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:29:16 PM

Stop feeding the troll...
None of you guys noticed OP's signature?
He's just an altcoin-shill..

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
dancupid

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:29:44 PM

www.humblebundle.com using coinbase.
Good luck with your scamming.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:30:37 PM

this problem becomes painfully clear when there's a breaking news coming out, when I need to transfer coins to an exchange and sell, after all my LTCs had been sold my BTCs were still waiting for confirmations.

And you don't think EVEYONE else using those coins has the same problem? If it was faster, you'd be just as far behind.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
dancupid

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:38:16 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2014, 03:54:59 PM by dancupid

this problem becomes painfully clear when there's a breaking news coming out, when I need to transfer coins to an exchange and sell, after all my LTCs had been sold my BTCs were still waiting for confirmations. This happened several times.

The altcoin naysayers would tell you that 6 confirmations of LTC is less secure than 6 BTC confirmations, the fact of the matter is, on virtually all exchanges, depositing LTC is much faster than BTC. That's a fact.

So why are you selling your LTC if they are so marvelous?
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:39:05 PM

In case you guys don't know, it take 48 hours to confirm a VISA card transaction. It doesn't even confirm on week-end.

Basically everything you buy with a debit/credit card let you buy before the confirmation of transaction.

www.humblebundle.com using coinbase.
Good luck with your scamming.

These posts neglect the fact that if you're using Coinbase/VISA, your identity is already registered with these entities. If you try to fleece them you get got.

If I walked into a cafe where nobody knows me, got a coffee, and sent some BTC using a personal wallet - don't you think the owner would want to wait for confirmation before letting me leave? Wouldn't I have to wait at the door for 10 minutes awkwardly holding my coffee?

That's the point I'm trying to make.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:39:59 PM

Stop feeding the troll...
None of you guys noticed OP's signature?
He's just an altcoin-shill..

The link in his sig doesn't even work lol.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:43:38 PM

OP, how is does your anus feel after the BlackCoin crash ?

Isn't it too damn painful ?

Do you regret not having Bitcoins instead ?
dancupid

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:43:48 PM

These posts neglect the fact that if you're using Coinbase/VISA, your identity is already registered with these entities. If you try to fleece them you get got.

If I walked into a cafe where nobody knows me, got a coffee, and sent some BTC using a personal wallet - don't you think the owner would want to wait for confirmation before letting me leave? Wouldn't I have to wait at the door for 10 minutes awkwardly holding my coffee?

You don't need to register with coinbase - they just provide the checkout service. You can send Bitcoins from any wallet.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:43:55 PM

If it was my cafe?  No.

But I'd have a security camera, and a log of fraudulent transactions with timestamps.  I'd refuse service to you, and possibly press charges against you for fraud/theft if you ever returned to my shop.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:21:00 PM

No. 

Once a transaction is in the network (less than a few seconds - usually less than a second it will have reached a vast majority of the network, if not all of it), with a fee and no other problems, it will confirm and a double spend would be rejected by the majority (or all) of the network. Plus the cafe operator would likely be informed of the attempted double-spend.  And for a cup of coffee, the cost of a double spend (if even possible) and other attacks would far out-weigh the reward.

The repeated "bitcoin transfers are too slow" comments are from people who either are uninformed about the bitcoin network or are purposefully trolling.  There are hundreds of threads discussing why this is a misconception.  (Plus as others have said, there would likely be video evidence of who you are in the store so if you tried to steal the coffee, the police would get involved).

BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:29:14 PM

No. 

Once a transaction is in the network (less than a few seconds - usually less than a second it will have reached a vast majority of the network, if not all of it), with a fee and no other problems, it will confirm and a double spend would be rejected by the majority (or all) of the network. Plus the cafe operator would likely be informed of the attempted double-spend.  And for a cup of coffee, the cost of a double spend (if even possible) and other attacks would far out-weigh the reward.

The repeated "bitcoin transfers are too slow" comments are from people who either are uninformed about the bitcoin network or are purposefully trolling.  There are hundreds of threads discussing why this is a misconception.  (Plus as others have said, there would likely be video evidence of who you are in the store so if you tried to steal the coffee, the police would get involved).

There go my hopes of becoming a coffee bandit.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:31:01 PM

lol, it's called trade.
I sell, I buy.
I sell because I want to buy them back later.
Gazza1 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:34:33 PM

10 minute per confirm is too long when exchanges require 3-6+

It has nothing to do with patience, but everything to do with time is money.

That's the exchanges fault for making them rules.

Agreed.  But there is still the issue at hand.  There are other coins that fly past confirms very very fast.

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
Gazza1 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:36:39 PM

lol, it's called trade.
I sell, I buy.
I sell because I want to buy them back later.

Yes, exactly

Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:46:14 PM

OP, how is does your anus feel after the BlackCoin crash ?

Isn't it too damn painful ?

Do you regret not having Bitcoins instead ?

Lol. Don't tempt fate or BTC might come crashing down for whatever reason.
Gazza1 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:49:14 PM

Grin

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: