Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:00:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Major Bitcoin Heists, Thefts, Hacks, Scams, and Losses  (Read 87460 times)
shmoula

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 11:33:43 PM

Seems like good news!

Announcement Update!

There has been a slight change in our closure procedure.Instead of closing CT forever, we have decided to reopen CT after 3 months with a completely new development team and management staff.Till then your balance will remain with us if not withdrawn by 29th Jan.

The new management team will contact all users and shareholders in near future.Feel free to contact us at ctnewteam@crypto-trade.com.Thank you for understanding.

Habbeat - beat your habits more effective way!!!
Always empty box(no cat also no coin): 1SHM1tiur2iNBCVxCBr7vAJ84PrPZ6d6v

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flipstyle

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 11:37:14 PM

Seems like good news!

Announcement Update!

There has been a slight change in our closure procedure.Instead of closing CT forever, we have decided to reopen CT after 3 months with a completely new development team and management staff.Till then your balance will remain with us if not withdrawn by 29th Jan.

The new management team will contact all users and shareholders in near future.Feel free to contact us at ctnewteam@crypto-trade.com.Thank you for understanding.

hahahahahahahaha.

cryptorush 2.0.  I swear all these scammy sack of shits all use the same 'scam template' every time.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 01:46:37 AM

Seems like good news!

Announcement Update!

It's a bit early to call it a mintpal scam yet
But it's worth keeping track of this for a while longer in my opinion

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
hongw

Activity: 306

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 02:24:51 AM

Have you considered adding in all the bitcointalk ponzi's that we have seen recently (maybe as a whole)?

If not then crypto double apparently got away with 1,000 BTC which should be above your threshold.
Additionally according to recent court evidence in the DRP/Ross Ulbright case, $2 million (USD) was stolen from what appeared to be a SR account.
shmoula

Activity: 304

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 11:35:27 AM

Well, if not CT, then ESECURITY assets were kind of theft. But CT pre-closure was handled very bad - they should stop trades, empty orders and than announce that, like they did some time ago. So let's wait those three months and do something with ESEC/KODDOS theft on shareholders.

It's a bit early to call it a mintpal scam yet
But it's worth keeping track of this for a while longer in my opinion

Habbeat - beat your habits more effective way!!!
Always empty box(no cat also no coin): 1SHM1tiur2iNBCVxCBr7vAJ84PrPZ6d6v
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:22:25 PM

Shouldn't Ukyo/WeExchange be in here as well?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=337523.0
dree12 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:24:07 PM

Thanks. I'll have time again come this Sunday, so I'll put up an update then.
RussianRaibow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I AM A SCAMMER

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 09:27:11 PM

I think FiedCat scamming million dollar worth bitcoin in AM hash scam should be a part of it...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=974058.0

I AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMERI AM A SCAMMER
finlon

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:31:36 PM

Seems the list also needs to add the BTER hack that happened now. Do you add things ,like the bitstamp hack, even through it was later covered by the company ?

KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:29:31 PM

LABCOIN too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ncckq/labcoin_has_been_outed_as_a_scam_run_by_notorious/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325431.0 Labcoin lawsuit
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=263445.0 Labcoin IPO
TheGr33k

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 06:04:54 PM

This post is really informative thanks for posting this, all are really cool to look at and read
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 12:22:37 AM

Is there any information how heists, thefts, hacks, and scams have been avoided, fought or resolved?

A list of violations this long doesn't help entice the new user to the Bitcoin system. (Of course the list of violations in cash is endless...so likely will bitcoin.)

BitcoinFr34k

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 12:51:57 AM

Is there any information how heists, thefts, hacks, and scams have been avoided, fought or resolved?

A list of violations this long doesn't help entice the new user to the Bitcoin system. (Of course the list of violations in cash is endless...so likely will bitcoin.)
Those happen every day and are much too many to list individually. The fact that people are able to take precautions in protecting themselves when trading means that they have prevented themselves from getting scammed.

I think FiedCat scamming million dollar worth bitcoin in AM hash scam should be a part of it...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=974058.0
I am actually surprised I haven't seen more threads about this. He also has very little negative trust right now because of his scam - he still has overall 150+  positive feedback.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 01:04:00 AM

I am actually surprised I haven't seen more threads about this. He also has very little negative trust right now because of his scam - he still has overall 150+  positive feedback.

It's a wait and see approach with Friedcat, he delivered a lot of miners and paid dividends to IPO holders
Could just be a failed business due to bad batches of chips

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 01:06:48 AM

I think it's a dual-edged sword.

On one hand, you're showing potential users the dangers. You're teaching them ahead of time what there is to lose, so they're aware of the implications of using Bitcoin.

On the other, you're right: it puts out the message that Bitcoin is nothing but a scam (which is what I hear non-stop from outsiders I speak to about cryptos).

The only way to fight this is centralization/government interference, which is what Bitcoin tries to steer away from. Essentially, these scammers are screwing over the entire community (including themselves) to get a few extra dollars.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 01:19:36 AM

I think it's a dual-edged sword.

On one hand, you're showing potential users the dangers. You're teaching them ahead of time what there is to lose, so they're aware of the implications of using Bitcoin.

On the other, you're right: it puts out the message that Bitcoin is nothing but a scam (which is what I hear non-stop from outsiders I speak to about cryptos).

The only way to fight this is centralization/government interference, which is what Bitcoin tries to steer away from. Essentially, these scammers are screwing over the entire community (including themselves) to get a few extra dollars.

Dual-edged is the best way to put it.

It doesn't mean we should just ignore the scams in question and forget they ever happened rather we should remember to try and avoid future ones.
It does hurt the ecosystem to see so many scams and hacks but an awareness is beneficial to try and prevent repeat occurrences.

As for fighting it, to an extent you need to trust others if your using their services exchanges etc as they control your coins same as any bank.

Centralization is where it gets complicated more advanced Bitcoin development is looking to resolve the hacking issue with Triple Sig or Quad sig verification aka multisig, and to my knowledge Ethereum/Maidsafe outside Bitcoin are trying to develop distributed smart contracts that act as virtual companies, with tokens of value etc instead.

So in the future security developments will make it safer, but it could make it easier to run with coins if the operators themselves are untrustworthy, about half of that long list is operator failure the other part is primarily security breaches not including lost coins.

In regards to security breaches solutions can be found, but with a shady operators it's still at present difficult to implement a tracking system that everyone agrees on and will use.

(Bitcoin-OTC and Web of Trust technically exist if your going to argue Mircea's point but not that many people use them, didn't work on Pirateat40 though)

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 01:35:21 AM

about half of that long list is operator failure the other part is primarily security breaches not including lost coins.

This leads to another huge problem: you don't know who is telling the truth and who isn't. This "I was hacked" seems to be the most popular excuse now, and there's no way to prove whether or not it's true. Someone can start up a business, run off with $10m, and then say "oh, lol, I was hacked. Sorry guys but it's all gone" and take no blame.

Bitcoin-Trader is a big example of this. There is more than enough proof showing that they ran with the funds, yet their claim that they were "hacked" seems to be enough for a lot of people to say it wasn't their fault.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Beatkoyn

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 05:08:35 AM

I want to know if how many of these guys are still in active operation right now.

And how many shut down after the attack?
sofu
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1085

Degenerate Crypto Gambler

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 11:01:56 AM

130,000 BTC were stolen from evolution   Undecided

http://www.deepdotweb.com/2015/03/18/interview-with-nswgreat-evolution-staff-member/

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 01:24:55 PM

Anybody know of evidence these funds have been dumped? I figure the $40 price drop the last day or so is either because the Evolution stash was dumped, or people rushed to sell in expectation it would be dumped, and caused a panic-dump instead.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: