Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 08:04:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't find any information on Nick Szabo, is he is who he says he is?  (Read 12269 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:41:15 PM

Nick is the inventor of bit gold, which in theory is absolutely the same as bitcoin even the name looks like. The bit gold post is from 2008. If he is not Satoshi, they had some connection.

I don't care for the linguistics, the bit gold post is enough.

Conceptually it is not identical e.g, it is missing the automatically adjusting difficulty algorithm that keeps the bitcoin production rate, constant regardless of the advancement in proof-of-work hardware. (Szabo mentions that as a possible flaw in bit gold right at the end.)

bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:52:38 PM

Nick is the inventor of bit gold, which in theory is absolutely the same as bitcoin even the name looks like. The bit gold post is from 2008. If he is not Satoshi, they had some connection.

I don't care for the linguistics, the bit gold post is enough.

Conceptually it is not identical e.g, it is missing the automatically adjusting difficulty algorithm that keeps the bitcoin production rate, constant regardless of the advancement in proof-of-work hardware. (Szabo mentions that as a possible flaw in bit gold right at the end.)

That was just a summary of a concept, it was not supposed to be rich in pratical details or definitive.

I think Nick has to explain how he came with the whole concept of bit gold, and why he abandoned and never wrote anything about it again. Maybe 'cause he started writing as Satoshi Nakamoto?
Bill Bisco (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:05:59 AM

The partial image above is not the correct nick szabo.

I found a twitter poster claiming to have an old picture of him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdrianChen/status/456922865992863744/photo/1

BTC: 1PVqE4eM8uBJ7Xb9rCsCLajp5YSi6p8oQ6
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
bananas

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:47:02 AM

I also wonder why he never blamed Satoshi for stealing his idea and even his brand name? BitGold and BitCoin.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:15:26 AM

I also wonder why he never blamed Satoshi for stealing his idea and even his brand name? BitGold and BitCoin.

Perhaps he was happy to hear that his idea was getting widely adopted. Or may be, he never heard about the Bitcoin and its inventor, until the price rose to $1,200 in 2013.  Grin
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:11:01 AM

Why don't we have a single photo of Szabo and no record (that I can find) of him working at George Washington University? !

We do

That's Nick

Picture doesn't work.

The partial image above is not the correct nick szabo.

I found a twitter poster claiming to have an old picture of him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdrianChen/status/456922865992863744/photo/1

Looks like a video still, but what gives this picture any credibility?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 09:15:09 AM

I am Satoshi Nakamoto
Bill Bisco (OP)

Activity: 109

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:10:30 AM

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/news/local-news/former-soldier-nicholas-szabo-loses-3318262

The above partial picture is that.  That is the wrong Szabo.

Regarding the twitter picture.  Can someone tweet that guy to ask where he got it?

BTC: 1PVqE4eM8uBJ7Xb9rCsCLajp5YSi6p8oQ6
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Beef Supreme

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:58:02 AM

He is not Satoshi. 

Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:04:47 PM

He is not Satoshi.  

His allusiveness adds to his enigma though. It's weird that  there's no pictures. Maybe he wants it that way.
CryptoDomains

Activity: 159

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:59:15 PM

What I fined humorous is the almost diagnosable social issues these men have. I am starting to think secrecy is not the most important thing because of the work they do more so than their own psychological issues.

Just adds to the stigma.
bananas

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 04:04:51 PM

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/news/local-news/former-soldier-nicholas-szabo-loses-3318262

The above partial picture is that.  That is the wrong Szabo.

Regarding the twitter picture.  Can someone tweet that guy to ask where he got it?

Thanks, removing the picture. This man is as secretive as Satoshi.
bananas

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 04:27:23 PM

There is one more thing wrong, Szabo claimed himself to be a law professor at GW University.

"UPDATE: According to George Washington University, it has no record of Mr. Szabo ever working at the school as a law professor. An earlier version of this post stated that Mr. Szabo was a former George Washington University law professor."

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/04/16/bitcoin-creator-satoshi-nakamoto-unmasked-again/
Ragnarly

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:03:07 PM

The only reason to hunt someone down is if they've personally harmed you. Satoshi has done a great thing and wants to be left alone. Why can't people respect that?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:16:44 PM

The only reason to hunt someone down is if they've personally harmed you. Satoshi has done a great thing and wants to be left alone. Why can't people respect that?
That's not how journalism works.
Satosh¡ Slot

Activity: 164

Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 07:17:51 PM

Bitcoin creator is 100% Satoshi Nakamoto or we don't really know? Also how Satoshi Nakamoto and Nick Szabo are related? Do you think Nick Szabo could be the creator of bitcoin?

There is another possibility. Szabo wrote his essay about Bit Gold in 2005. What if Satoshi Nakamoto plagiarized parts of his essay and incorporated some of the ideas in his paper on Bitcoin in 2008?

Yes, these language analysis people don't have proof. Szabo is/was the main expert on cryptocurrencies and he published a lot about it online. The Bitcoin paper is EXPECTED to use the same words/termiology as Szabo and Bitgold. It's also perfectly possible that the Bitcoin paper avoids mentioning Bitgold just because it's heavily influenced by it. I've seen people do this all the time at the Universities.

The language analyses point out things like using timestamped as a verb and phrases like "trusted third parties", "for our purposes" and commas after and and but.

According to this I am likely Satoshi Nakamoto in the same way the narrator is Tyler Durden in Fight Club. This way of writing appears to be just normal to me.

If I had to bet my money on who is Satoshi Nakamot, I would still put it on Szabo, though.

Ragnarly

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:20:57 PM

That's not how journalism works.

That's what Leah McGrath Goodman told herself.

A individual can call himself a journalist but it doesn't change the indecency or consequence of their choice to violate a good person's privacy.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 01:19:25 AM

Why don't we have a single photo of Szabo and no record (that I can find) of him working at George Washington University? !

sounds like Nick Szabo may be a pen name , who may or may not be Satoshi.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 03:45:54 AM

I am Satoshi Nakamoto
I am Satoshi Nakamoto

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Ragnarly

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:22:06 AM

Hal Finney is who I think is most likely to be Satoshi or part of Satoshi.

Here is what I found:

Hal was the first person to receive a bitcoin Transaction the first week of bitcoins existence.

His account here was created 2 weeks before Satoshi disappeared. Hal returns to bitcoin over a year and half after being part in the very beginning and the creator of BTC leaves at near the same time. Hal arrives and Satoshi leaves.

Hal was diagnosed with ALS.

On Dec 6, 2009 and Nov 6, 2010 Hal competed in the Santa Barbara marathon to raise awareness for ALS. Both of these dates and the surrounding days Satoshi was absent here at bitcointalk. No posts.

In an admin post made visible by theymos here, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56272.msg669898#msg669898 he uses the word "nother". By itself nothing special, but I found this http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/openpgp/current/msg05283.html where Hal uses the same slang word. This is the first time I have ever written that form of the word, although I have spoke it. Usually in reference to MadTV's "whole nother level" skit.

These things by themselves don't mean squat. The only leap of faith you have to make is that Hal had to actively maintain open conversations with himself through email and posts. I don't really think a leap of faith would be required to think someone from the cypherpunks and a cryptography buff would be paranoid enough to create a degree of separation by publicly communicating with his alter identity self. What better way to say "it's not me" than to have a viewable correspondence with your fake identity.

Besides all this, the biggest tell Hal is Satoshi is the ALS. Hal knew he was not going to be able to maintain a fake identity as a quadriplegic who would have to rely on eye motion for all communication. So Satoshi had to be "killed" off and "Hal" reintroduced to bitcoin.

*edit. All his posts here http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/openpgp/current/thrd11.html#05284 are double spaced after the period*

Satoshi is not Hal Finney, leave the poor man alone.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/03/25/satoshi-nakamotos-neighbor-the-bitcoin-ghostwriter-who-wasnt/
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: