Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:44:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modified Newbie Jail  (Read 3710 times)
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 05:29:39 PM

What would be the feasibility of returning the newbie section to the forums, allowing Newbies to post there freely, and also allowing Newbies to post in other sections but requiring them to have their posts approved first?

Forgetting about "the moderation team is going to die" for a second (I'm sure you could get a team of people to look over those posts anyway in exchange for that "Staff" title a few people crave so much), it seems feasible and it would increase the quality of posts. Make Newbies read and agree to a page that requires them to look at it for 60 seconds before continuing detailing criteria that posts on the Bitcoin Forum are expected to follow, etc.

It would greatly increase the quality of threads without necessarily preventing high-quality newbies from being heard.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
firejuan

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

Because it's sterile...

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 10:15:44 AM

I also liked the idea posted in another thread of limiting the number of posts per time frame e.g. 1 post every 5 minutes.  I think that creating new threads should definitely require approval since the number of scams since to be increasing from newer members or this could just be my misconception since I have not been around long enough.

Nutterboy

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 08:50:27 AM

I also liked the idea posted in another thread of limiting the number of posts per time frame e.g. 1 post every 5 minutes.  I think that creating new threads should definitely require approval since the number of scams since to be increasing from newer members or this could just be my misconception since I have not been around long enough.

Well not newer members, but newer accounts.

I also like this idea, new members should have to get read the forums for a while before being able to comment freely.
Jaxkr

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:25:55 PM

Yes, I agree. The newbie jail doesn't teach noobs how to be a good forum user. It teaches them how to spam posts.

Also, hey Diamond! I remember you from the Coinchat days.
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 05:22:11 PM

Yes, I agree. The newbie jail doesn't teach noobs how to be a good forum user. It teaches them how to spam posts.

Also, hey Diamond! I remember you from the Coinchat days.

Hey dude! I'd meet up with some of the old Coinchatters as they seem to be congregating on Dogechat now, but a certain power hungry owner is censoring me unfortunately Sad

OT: Indeed. Moderating those posts would solve most of the issues we had before.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:43:11 AM

How about an option for Full Members+ (or the equivalent) to be able to preview a newbie's post (like an optional toggle button). They could vote rather it adds or takes away from the topic. Eventually, once a newbie starts getting pretty decent amount of good quality post overall (outside the newbie board), they can post regularity ?

This would take quite a strain off the moderators as it'd be community driven.

To prevent abuse, a vote against the post counts a lot more than a vote FOR the post (the reason being, is if I were to create a 'smurf' or a 'new account' for myself, I'd just login to my main account and give a 'for the post' vote. Maybe need a quality ratio (at least 10 votes @ 80% approval) ?

johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:21:52 PM

---It would be a great idea, if you were only allowed to post, if your activity level is around 50. This means activity is independant of your post count. Also limitation in postings a day, depending on your status.

Pros:
1. There would be less newbies posting the same questions all again.
  1.1. Less posts, threads more structure, less chaos.
  1.2. newbies would learn first to search for their questions in the knowledgepool of the forum, instead of posting
2. More quality posts, less quantity. More the feeling of a professional expert forum, less the feeling of a trollbox.
Mirdude

Activity: 319

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:45:49 AM

Sounds like a great idea, implementing it would take time.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 10:54:29 AM

What would be the feasibility of returning the newbie section to the forums, allowing Newbies to post there freely, and also allowing Newbies to post in other sections but requiring them to have their posts approved first?

+1. It will increase quality posts. Smiley

Forgetting about "the moderation team is going to die" for a second (I'm sure you could get a team of people to look over those posts anyway in exchange for that "Staff" title a few people crave so much), it seems feasible and it would increase the quality of posts.

Ofcourse. Many of them has started reporting spam to become a moderator/staff.

Make Newbies read and agree to a page that requires them to look at it for 60 seconds before continuing detailing criteria that posts on the Bitcoin Forum are expected to follow, etc.

It is nice but I don't think the user will read the details except some. Anyway, it is better to make that too. Smiley

How about an option for Full Members+ (or the equivalent) to be able to preview a newbie's post (like an optional toggle button). They could vote rather it adds or takes away from the topic. Eventually, once a newbie starts getting pretty decent amount of good quality post overall (outside the newbie board), they can post regularity ?

To prevent abuse, a vote against the post counts a lot more than a vote FOR the post (the reason being, is if I were to create a 'smurf' or a 'new account' for myself, I'd just login to my main account and give a 'for the post' vote. Maybe need a quality ratio (at least 10 votes @ 80% approval) ?

It will also help Mods by reducing their works. If this is implementing, it needs to be done in 'Altcoin' board first. And also, the ratio shouldn't be shown/revealed. It must be a secret, IMO.

~~MZ~~

Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:19:48 AM

Sounds like Reddit. People shouldn't be approved nor disproved based upon whether or not other people agree with what they're saying. This would hurt the integrity of the forum and would assist in creating an atmosphere where everyone agrees with each other. That hurts innovation and is against the philosophy of both Bitcoin and this forum.

pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 10435

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 07:33:12 AM

yea that is a great idea, new accounts shouldn't be able to post every place
i was searching for some services in this forum. i found some old stuff which the beginner introduced the service with links and then below in two pages i found at least 5 newbie posts (with post count=1) which agreed with the starter and wrote something like: i tried the service and it is good or it pays.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 08:12:03 AM

I am in favour of the newbie jail, made them read and learn how to use bitcoin. At the same time, we should also give them a guide on how to search for posts on the forum. The search box on the top of every page does not search the whole forum and gives useless result, they should be made aware of the google search function on the forum menu.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: