Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 08:18:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What cryptocurrencies should I pay attention to?  (Read 1677 times)
SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 11:40:18 AM

There are so many clones of BTC. Which ones have chances to survive for a long period of time? I would say LTC, NMC and SC. Anything else?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:05:27 PM

NMC and LTC yes

SC=ScamCoin?

SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:25:00 PM

I don't really care if it's scam. It has strong support from traders so it suits my needs.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:34:19 PM

I don't really care if it's scam. It has strong support from traders so it suits my needs.

Where do you get the idea it has "strong support" from traders?
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:36:50 PM

Pretty much spot on mate.

I would drop the LTC as that is botnet territory right there.

BTC > NMC > SLC

the rest are pretty much a scam ( SLC being the biggest scam of all ).
SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 02:04:22 PM

I compared prices of LTC, NMC and SC.
SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 02:06:20 PM

Pretty much spot on mate.

I would drop the LTC as that is botnet territory right there.

BTC > NMC > SLC

the rest are pretty much a scam ( SLC being the biggest scam of all ).

Hehe, I don't need to drop, I need to pick another currency up. But thx for your suggestion.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 02:10:40 PM

I compared prices of LTC, NMC and SC.

Which is worth more a $10 bill or 3x $5 bills.  Price alone has nothing to do w/ value.
SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 02:21:03 PM

Which is worth more a $10 bill or 3x $5 bills.  Price alone has nothing to do w/ value.

Maybe, but i've chosen to compare their prices.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:37:48 PM

First you speak about support from traders and then about price. But price means nothing. 1 dollar is worth much less than 1 bitcoin, but is much more supported.

SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:48:17 PM

First you speak about support from traders and then about price. But price means nothing. 1 dollar is worth much less than 1 bitcoin, but is much more supported.

1 dollar and 1 bitcoin are used in different situations, so it's hard to compare them. But all clones of BTC are very similar each to other, so price comparison is enough.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:51:12 PM

1 dollar and 1 bitcoin are used in different situations, so it's hard to compare them. But all clones of BTC are very similar each to other, so price comparison is enough.

Except those that have vastly different numbers of coins with different distribution rates.  Not to mention, different per unit cost of production.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:54:10 PM

Remember that NMC is not a simple BTC clone. It can be used as a decentralized p2p DNS system for .bit

SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:12:53 PM

Except those that have vastly different numbers of coins with different distribution rates.  Not to mention, different per unit cost of production.

I don't need exact comparation. Just to know if it has potential. DVC for example costs 0.0000000000000000001 BTC.
SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:13:45 PM

Remember that NMC is not a simple BTC clone. It can be used as a decentralized p2p DNS system for .bit

Yes, I remember that.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:19:02 PM

I don't need exact comparation. Just to know if it has potential. DVC for example costs 0.0000000000000000001 BTC.

BRB... I'm going to go make a bitcoin clone with only 1000 total units.  I'll sell you each coin for 10000 BTC after I mine enough to sell.  Ok... I'm not really going to do that, but I think you will get my point.  Ignoring that and using price as the only indicator is naive and will cost you in the long run.

SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:29:10 PM

BRB... I'm going to go make a bitcoin clone with only 1000 total units.  I'll sell you each coin for 10000 BTC after I mine enough to sell.  Ok... I'm not really going to do that, but I think you will get my point.  Ignoring that and using price as the only indicator is naive and will cost you in the long run.

I'm not going to buy LTC nor SC. I just need to know which currencies still worth something. LTC and SC have almost equal prices and almost equal traded volumes. I don't think I should get rid of SC just because a lot of people call it ScamCoin. Right now price and traded volume (in BTC) of SC is higher than LTC ones. So SC has stronger support of traders, hasn't it?
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:14:15 PM

SC (assuming you mean SolidCoin) is a very different beast in that it is a centralized cryptocurrency.  It will be controlled by the people with more than 1 million SolidCoins, which makes them eligible to be "trusted" nodes.  Having a shitload of money doesn't have a damn thing to do with trust IMO, but please be aware what you are buying into.

SubBridge Unlimited (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:25:13 PM

SC (assuming you mean SolidCoin) is a very different beast in that it is a centralized cryptocurrency.  It will be controlled by the people with more than 1 million SolidCoins, which makes them eligible to be "trusted" nodes.  Having a shitload of money doesn't have a damn thing to do with trust IMO, but please be aware what you are buying into.

I agree that noone should trust this currency. But I'm launching a service that provide operations with SC, not buying it. That's why I don't really care.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:26:58 PM

So why did you ask?

"There are so many clones of BTC. Which ones have chances to survive for a long period of time? I would say LTC, NMC and SC. Anything else?"

vs

"There are so many clones of BTC. I know LTC, NMC and SC will survive"
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: