Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:23:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Push Bitcoin for the rich and elite?  (Read 2811 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 01:16:09 PM

I was going through a drive through behind a nice car with a tag that mentioned the guy went to law school. When it was time to pay he flipped the card to the guy in a way that was if to say "I have the super platinum high roller card". He was obviously impressed by himself and his fancy credit card.

This would actually be a good way to get things rolling if it could catch on. Make paying with Bitcoin something reserved for the elite such as having an American Express black card.

Then when you pay with Bitcoin and someone sees it they will have the obvious question of "what is this Bitcoin thing and how do I get my hands on some?"

One way to push this would be to have a Bitcoin company that buys some of the most exclusive things (front row concert tickets, high end tech, penthouse suites, etc...) then have them only available for purchase with Bitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:25:49 PM

you're a marketing genius.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 01:32:02 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2012, 02:33:30 PM by BadBear

A marketing genius who's gonna be broke after spending millions on depreciating items then cutting out 99% of the market.

Going the wrong direction with this I think. Bitcoin has always been more of the 99% currency, not the other way around.  On the other hand, nobody says we can't try for both.  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 03:05:49 PM

The rich already have their swiss bank accounts, tax consultancy services, good investment opportunities etc. Bitcoin offers nothing for them.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 03:07:55 PM

A marketing genius who's gonna be broke after spending millions on depreciating items then cutting out 99% of the market.

Going the wrong direction with this I think. Bitcoin has always been more of the 99% currency, not the other way around.  On the other hand, nobody says we can't try for both.  

That's what I was thinking just prior to getting to your last three words, BB. For shits and giggles, perhaps somebody could photoshop a Bitcoin Escape® card.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 03:10:56 PM

The rich already have their swiss bank accounts, tax consultancy services, good investment opportunities etc. Bitcoin offers nothing for them.

No problem! Bitcoin Escape® would be for any 99%ers who want to emulate the 1%ers.
bc

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:08:27 PM

Swiss bank accounts aren't as useful as they used to be.

Bitcoin has qualities that could appeal to those with a lot of money to protect.

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:10:21 PM

The same Switzerland which now shares account information with the United States IRS?

The Swiss bank of today isn't the Swiss bank of James Bond movies.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:12:07 PM

Unfortunately OP might be right.  Rich people love clubs and perks.  The more it resembles a ponzi scheme, the more they love it.  GroupOn IPO FTW!  Put a pyramid in your logo and you should be golden.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:22:08 PM

Easiest way to effect this is to get JayZ to rap about it.  B to the izzit.  Iss ya boy!

Mousepotato
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 04:43:34 PM

As far as good investment opportunities go, the "rich" care more about preservation of capital than about explosive growth. Thus, if the Bitcoin price stabilizes or grows steadily against USD, and if USD experiences moderate to heavy inflation, then Bitcoin might look very good.

This is assuming that the exchanges / OTC markets can handle a large influx of capital -- on the order of ~$1B.

Right now on MtGox, if I were to spend $1M, I would buy up the order book from 6.75 all the way to ~$15, leaving a potential gap straight back down to 6.75 (and an instant loss of ~50% of my value).

Contrast this with the foreign exchange markets that handle $ trillions per day and rarely move more than 1% per day.

So I guess my bottom line point is that once there is larger money on both sides of the book, BTC will look good to large-scale investors.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 07:11:28 PM

Actually, Bitcoin is much better tuned for the 'rich and elite' (or at least this is a philosophy that I am exploring.)

Compared to the plebs, the 1% have more options for moving money into the economy and more wealth to use and protect.  Although the 1% have access to more capable banking options and passive, if not active, support from state justice and enforcement organs, Bitcoin provides an extra level of transfer capabilities and is less likely at the system level to be upset by the caprice of quasi-democratic rule.

The plebs are almost completely dispensable from the system at this point.  Fewer and fewer plebs run clients, and as time goes by, even fewer will even have the capability.  The system can operate with a (relatively) few technocrats operating some gear and throwing some miners a bone or two from time to time.

There is still a place for the plebs to generate some momentum and watch TV shows and such, but only enough are needed on an ongoing basis to ensure that the  system cannot operate without specialized resources (specifically bandwidth.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 08:02:00 PM

As far as good investment opportunities go, the "rich" care more about preservation of capital than about explosive growth. Thus, if the Bitcoin price stabilizes or grows steadily against USD, and if USD experiences moderate to heavy inflation, then Bitcoin might look very good.

This is assuming that the exchanges / OTC markets can handle a large influx of capital -- on the order of ~$1B.

Right now on MtGox, if I were to spend $1M, I would buy up the order book from 6.75 all the way to ~$15, leaving a potential gap straight back down to 6.75 (and an instant loss of ~50% of my value).

I wonder if some family offices or the personal kidnap insurance providers/negotiators have started to build up $M floats as yet for just such an eventuality of needing 1 $M of BTC on hand in a big hurry

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 10:29:34 PM

Hey rich dude who is doing all this work to hide money...

Buy this untraceable asset. You can even use it to buy and sell things among your friends to avoid tax events. Sell them that company at a loss for $1000 dollars, and have them give you 1M BTC on the side for it, then buy that yacht in btc, and pay the guy in BTC to avoid taxes. Have a congressmen to buy off? Don't bother with an envelope of cash, give him the slip from a fortune cookie, and let him know that the hash of it is a private key that will set him up for life. Then pay your corrupt tax attorney in BTC so he doesn't have to claim it either. Worried about storing all of your money in some off shore account. No worries, you can keep it in a thumb drive. Or better yet, a deterministic wallet seeded with the name of your favorite race horse. Watch the IRS try to seize that. Need to get some coke to keep the party going at your mansion... yeah that was the first thing we took care of (after the alpaca socks and the coffee)

Bitcoin, for people that know that fiat is for plebs.

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 10:42:22 PM

Buy this untraceable asset. You can even use it to buy and sell things among your friends to avoid tax events. Sell them that company at a loss for $1000 dollars, and have them give you 1M BTC on the side for it, then buy that yacht in btc, and pay the guy in BTC to avoid taxes. Have a congressmen to buy off? Don't bother with an envelope of cash, give him the slip from a fortune cookie, and let him know that the hash of it is a private key that will set him up for life. Then pay your corrupt tax attorney in BTC so he doesn't have to claim it either. Worried about storing all of your money in some off shore account. No worries, you can keep it in a thumb drive. Or better yet, a deterministic wallet seeded with the name of your favorite race horse. Watch the IRS try to seize that. Need to get some coke to keep the party going at your mansion... yeah that was the first thing we took care of (after the alpaca socks and the coffee)

all ^ lols

pictures billionaire sporting alpaca socks & stirring a tea spoon full of coke in to their coffee next to a large pile of BTC 1,000 gold Casascius coins

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 05:18:43 PM

all ^ lols

pictures billionaire sporting alpaca socks & stirring a tea spoon full of coke in to their coffee next to a large pile of BTC 1,000 gold Casascius coins

Like this?:

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 06:01:42 PM

lol yes, though whoever sold him his SR coke sent him rather different sugary looking crystals or looks like they stepped heavily on it with sugar at least

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 06:12:31 PM

lol yes, though whoever sold him his SR coke sent him rather different sugary looking crystals or looks like they stepped heavily on it with sugar at least

I saw that, too, when I posted that image, but figured we could just use are imaginations.
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 06:38:38 PM

I saw that, too, when I posted that image, but figured we could just use are imaginations.

Obviously he is in the cold visiting his mining operations which consist of a warehouse of servers in Alaska cooled by a glacial run off.

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 09:48:53 PM

The richest and most elite don't deal with money themselves. They have people for that. When they go places everything is usually bought for them or else they wouldn't deign to show up. They are beyond needing to show off.  Power and control is more important...  sure money is a part of achieving that but they have 'been there done that' and not something they have much to do with directly anymore. 

Those you are thinking of, no doubt, the ones you want to target, are the rich and elite wanna-be's... 
the upper middle class mostly. Those who care a lot about money and want to use it to show that they are
among the best of the best.   

Cool
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: