Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:44:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: omg why are drug dealers using bitcoin?!?!  (Read 7961 times)
stzee (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 01:26:01 PM

Seriously this totally pisses me off! Why are drug dealers using this currency which can be untraceable and unlinkable if proper security measures are taken with it? This is totally going to scare away Grandma Smiths Home Made Cookie vendor from using Bitcoin! And we all know that if it were not for the drug dealers Grandma Smith would totally love to use a complex open source virtual currency peer-to-peer network to accept virtual non-backed currency. Grandma Smith totally has an incentive to use this currency because her customers totally want to learn how to use a complex massive distributed P2P network to send untraceable unlinkable virtual coin payments for their cookies.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gluskab

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 01:34:43 PM

Q: Seriously this totally pisses me off! Why are drug dealers using this currency which can be untraceable and unlinkable if proper security measures are taken with it?

A: incentive(s)
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 01:40:17 PM

because her customers totally want to learn how to use a complex massive distributed P2P network to send untraceable unlinkable virtual coin payments for their "cookies".

Corrected.

One off NP-Hard.
bittersweet

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 01:41:08 PM

This is totally going to scare away Grandma Smiths Home Made Cookie vendor from using Bitcoin!

Just like drug dealers using cash scare people away from using banknotes? Roll Eyes

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 03:01:51 PM

Grandma Smith is cultivating seeds in the back garden.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 08:10:05 PM

Seriously this totally pisses me off! Why are drug dealers using this currency which can be untraceable and unlinkable if proper security measures are taken with it?

If you could actually know this to be so, then either you are the dealer or the system doesn't work.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 08:23:44 PM

Poe's law:

I believe Steve Gibson, of Security Now, called it the "crypto-dilemma". On one hand, it could be tool of political activists to resist repressive states such as China and Libya. On the other hand it could be used as a tool to launder money from kidnapping operations and organized crime activities.

On one hand bitcoin could be used as a tool for political activists to resist oppressive states such as China and Libya. On the other hand, bitcoin could be used by political activists (ie: silkroad) to resist oppressive states such as the USA and EU. Much like how Tor can be used as a tool for political activists in China and Libya to resist oppressive states, and can also be used by political activists in USA and EU to resist oppressive states. If Bitcoin is a threat or not largely depends on how brainwashed you are by your respective government. Much like Tor, Bitcoin is a weapon against statists in general. The government will love using it to attack other governments, and will fear it being used to attack their own power over their own slaves.
QuantPlus

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 08:25:33 PM

Maybe Grandma has normal age-related arthritis...
And is buying meds on the internet to manage her symptoms...
Because her doctor is afraid to prescribe appropriate medications...
Because the Government has demonized and criminalized virtually all drugs...
That are not Billion Dollar Cash Cows for Crony Pharma Capitalists.

Meanwhile, the Government is busy building 100s of minimum security prisons...
So they can lock up Grandma after the FBI seizes all her computers.

gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 08:28:04 PM

That are not Billion Dollar Cash Cows for Crony Pharma Capitalists.

Let me clear I'm with legalization, both for med and recreation.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 09:10:26 PM

Why are drug dealers using this currency which can be untraceable and unlinkable if proper security measures are taken with it?
cuz they can?

divergenta

Activity: 162

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 10:03:57 PM

Seriously this totally pisses me off! Why are drug dealers using this currency which can be untraceable and unlinkable if proper security measures are taken with it? This is totally going to scare away Grandma Smiths Home Made Cookie vendor from using Bitcoin! And we all know that if it were not for the drug dealers Grandma Smith would totally love to use a complex open source virtual currency peer-to-peer network to accept virtual non-backed currency. Grandma Smith totally has an incentive to use this currency because her customers totally want to learn how to use a complex massive distributed P2P network to send untraceable unlinkable virtual coin payments for their cookies.

Do I smell irony or even perhaps a bit of sarcasm?  Shocked
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 10:12:26 PM

Wooh! I totally wasn't aware. I'm really uneasy about using cash and/or Bitcoin because people are using it to exchange goods and services that I don't approve of. Isn't there something I could use where everything is monitored and watched by the government so we don't ever do things others don't like?  Tongue

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 10:30:48 PM

Wooh! I totally wasn't aware. I'm really uneasy about using cash and/or Bitcoin because people are using it to exchange goods and services that I don't approve of. Isn't there something I could use where everything is monitored and watched by the government so we don't ever do things others don't like?  Tongue

Sure...

www.PayPal.com

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
malditonuke

Activity: 145

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 10:58:39 PM

heh
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 01:06:00 AM

That are not Billion Dollar Cash Cows for Crony Pharma CORPORATISTS.

I fixed the error.
srb123

Activity: 58

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 07:04:06 AM

Welcome stzee, others may disagree, but the more humor and sarcasm in this board the better IMHO. Keep up the good work, cant believe so many took the bait.
pjwaffle

Activity: 539

BIB Exchange

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 10:04:12 PM

He's a troll.

/thread.

███     WHITEPAPER  |    TELEGRAM    ███      BiB Exchange      ███     TWITTER     |   INSTAGRAM     ███
S e t   O f f   t h e   W e b 3   G e n e r a t i o n   N o w
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 12:11:27 AM

Andy Greenberg, Forbes Magazine:
"Illegal stuff will be a niche for Bitcoin," admits Andresen. "That bothers me, but it's just like any currency. You can't stop dollar bills from being used for the drug trade either. That's an unfortunate feature of any cashlike system."

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
AaronM

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 11:24:22 AM

People are the weakest link in any organization's security -- even a criminal one like a drug distribution network.  Law enforcement was able to catch dealers when they use cash... what makes people think BitCoin will hinder law enforcement efforts?

Spare some BTC for a biology student? 1DZcEUEo9rX7LQWcYzVR6Btqj2sMqRznbB
mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 06:26:10 AM

I was thinking about illegal trade activities and I suddenly started to wonder if the BTC market would eventually start to divide so that pristine, newly generated coins would be more expensive than coins that have gone through many transactions. Maybe there could even be a scheme where newly generated blocks could be used to buy drugs without making a transaction; the private keys would be exchanged for the (illegal) products and then the vendor would cash the money just as if he was the originator. This would require a high level of trust between the participants, of course. But it would still be safer than dealing with large amounts of actual paper money.

The problem with bitcoins is traceability, but if the dealing was done with the private keys, no transactions would be needed until someone wanted to exchange their BTCs for an officially recognized currency.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: