Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:37:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Colonizing Mars  (Read 4621 times)
dogechode (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:04:04 PM

This is inspired by the thread that was posted before about the Russian space plans.

I am very interested in Mars colonization and would love to keep the discussion going. To avoid the whole moon vs Mars debate getting in the way, I'm making this thread specifically about Mars.

So, when do you think Mars can realistically be colonized? Of all the plans out there (there are a ton of them, including one that I believe is still being funded and may actually happen in the new few years) what do you think is the best solution? Does a colony on Mars need to provide a financial return on investment to whoever funds it's initial startup costs in order to be "worth doing?"

Any discussion about colonizing Mars is welcome!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:12:25 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2014, 07:39:31 PM by kuroman

With the current states of things, being it from a political perspective, or technical one, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Not because it is technically impossible, but there is no will to do so, from a technical stand point, right now we aren't developing the necessary technology (yet it doesn't require to develop alchemy) but just to adapt what we have to accommodate for the conditions and situation for a Mars mission. Today Political system is the biggest brake for such program, some countries that have the technology prefer to invest trillions of $ on some surveillance programs or on wars to spread freedom, others want to press their geopolitical influence, and some want to control their huge population and cannot afford, to lose a double digit economy increase per year.

The sad part for me is despite the fact that it is not possible (colonizing Mars won't happen in one go but at least getting to Mars and getting things done would be a start and this what I'm talking about) we are not doing it, and we are risking extinction being it by killing our self, or being killed by some meteorite like the dinosaurs, if we have a colony on Mars that would be already a start and a backup plan for earth, and from there once we will become accommodated to space and space exploration will see a boost
dogechode (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:18:41 PM

I agree but I do think that with Russia and China plowing ahead with their own space programs, the US will not want to get too far behind and will likely make an effort to catch up in the near future. Look at the amount of money that has been spent on the new fighter jet... all to make sure that we maintain air superiority.

And, to your point about extinction: http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/02/15/meteor-hits-central-russia-400-hurt?videoId=241140683
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 07:29:04 PM

So, when do you think Mars can realistically be colonized?

Realistically?   10 years.

http://www.mars-one.com/

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
dogechode (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:38:07 PM

Thanks for the link Vod; that is the one I was talking about in the other thread where they are planning to fund it at least partially by airing a TV show (more or less) that will chronicle the colonists' experiences. I couldn't remember the name of it lol.
kuroman

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:42:04 PM

So, when do you think Mars can realistically be colonized?

Realistically?   10 years.

http://www.mars-one.com/

Mars One lol.

A group of 4-5 people that has nothing to do with space engineering, with no expertise. all of them are fresh graduates.

The whole Mars One thingy is just to provide a study, a concept and plan to proceed with and that's all.
dogechode (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:45:21 PM

Mars One lol.

A group of 4-5 people that has nothing to do with space engineering, with no expertise. all of them are fresh graduates.

The whole Mars One thingy is just to provide a study, a concept and plan to proceed with and that's all.

The point is just to get people there. Watch how fast others will scramble to get their own colonies up there as soon as Mars One sets up shop successfully. I agree that what they are planning in and of itself doesn't seem huge in one sense but the point is it's a proof of concept as far as I am concerned. The show could also drum up a lot of public interest and support and get the wheels turning again. To give more funding to space programs, congress needs to feel like there is public support. Right now everyone is obsessed with cutting costs.
kuroman

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:53:51 PM

Mars One lol.

The point is just to get people there. Watch how fast others will scramble to get their own colonies up there as soon as Mars One sets up shop successfully. I agree that what they are planning in and of itself doesn't seem huge in one sense but the point is it's a proof of concept as far as I am concerned. The show could also drum up a lot of public interest and support and get the wheels turning again. To give more funding to space programs, congress needs to feel like there is public support. Right now everyone is obsessed with cutting costs.

The thing about Mars One is that it is not a Mars mission, but just a study and R&D to design solutions to technical problems for such a mission. It's not even a proof of concept, as they aren't building a space craft or have the mean to do so (as it takes space agencies with hundreds of scientist in different fields, and tools and labratories...ect to do such a thing) I'm really skeptical about the current state of their project, maybe, they are doing this as a primary way to rise attention and get some serious sponsors, once they have some real designs and concept on hand
dogechode (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 08:00:27 PM

It's also possible that a state power will seek to "beat" Mars 1 to be the first to land a human being on Mars. So in a way this could cause a very positive new space race to Mars. I could see China, Russia, the EU, or the US doing this.

I guess then they'd have to change the name to Mars 2.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 08:14:42 PM

It's also possible that a state power will seek to "beat" Mars 1 to be the first to land a human being on Mars. So in a way this could cause a very positive new space race to Mars. I could see China, Russia, the EU, or the US doing this.

There's always Mars 360.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
golem

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 08:38:19 PM

I just want to live long enough (and in good mental and physical health) - to see the first person put foot on mars (and preferably still be alive to see them come back!).

As to actual colonising Mars with anything more than a handful of people - I thnk that is decades away given all the supporting infrastructure that would be required.
kuroman

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 08:48:18 PM

Like I said, there is nothing to beat here, Mars one is not building a space craft, they don't have the means or the necessary means and competence right now, Unless I missed something that isn't mentioned in their website, if just more or less a study and R&D nothing more nothing less....

A Mars project would require a Space Agency if not the collaboration of different of space, agencies an significant increase in budgets and a minimum of 10 years of development and preparation if Mars becomes a serious objectif
dogechode (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:24:44 PM

There's nothing to beat? I don't understand the confusion. Mars one could potentially put the first human being on Mars. Which would effectively be the first human being on another planet. That's HUGE. Think about the space race that occurred over having the first human in space and then the first human being on the moon...
kuroman

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:50:40 AM

There's nothing to beat? I don't understand the confusion. Mars one could potentially put the first human being on Mars. Which would effectively be the first human being on another planet. That's HUGE. Think about the space race that occurred over having the first human in space and then the first human being on the moon...

Ok let me put it to you frankly so you understand, does Mars One team/project, has a rocket, building a rocket, has the means to built a rocket, or a space craft to sent to space ?
dogechode (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:23:32 AM

Ok let me put it to you frankly so you understand, does Mars One team/project, has a rocket, building a rocket, has the means to built a rocket, or a space craft to sent to space ?

Dude there is really no reason for your attitude. Maybe you should do a little reading before posting flippant remarks.

Mars One has visited major aerospace companies around the world to discuss the requirements, budget and timelines with their engineers and business developers. The current mission plan was composed on the basis of feedback received in these meetings. - See more at: http://www.mars-one.com/mission/the-technology#sthash.cmEGUC8K.dpuf

Mars One anticipates using Space X Falcon Heavy, an upgraded version of the Falcon 9, which is in use by Space X currently. The Falcon Heavy is slated to undergo test flights in 2014, granting ample time for fine-tuning prior to the Mars One missions. - See more at: http://www.mars-one.com/mission/the-technology#sthash.cmEGUC8K.dpuf

The Mars Transit Vehicle is a compact space station that will carry the astronauts from Earth orbit to Mars. It is comprised of four parts which are docked in Earth orbit: two propellant stages, a Transit Habitat and a Lander. The propellant stages are used to propel the Transit Vehicle from Earth orbit to Mars. The Transit Habitat is the home for the astronauts during their seven month journey. In it, they sleep, train and prepare for their arrival and landing. When they are near Mars, the astronauts enter the Lander which is then disconnected from the Tranisit Habitat. The Transit habitat and the propellant stages are left behind to orbit the Sun. The Lander is the only component that sets foot on Mars, with the astronauts inside. The Transit habitat has a mass of about 20,000 kg. It will carry close to 800 kg of dry food, 3000 liters of water and 700 kg of oxygen on board. No water or Oxygen will be recycled, because the trip lasts only 210 days. Not recycling these components eliminates the need for recycling systems, backups, spare components and reduces power and cooling requirements. The 3000 liters of water is also used for radiation shielding. - See more at: http://www.mars-one.com/technology/mars-transit-vehicle#sthash.S6yeGDat.dpuf

SpaceX's CEO is a billionaire in his own right as I recall. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll get it done and done well.

cosmofly

Activity: 532

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:41:50 AM

With the current states of things, being it from a political perspective, or technical one, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Not because it is technically impossible, but there is no will to do so, from a technical stand point, right now we aren't developing the necessary technology (yet it doesn't require to develop alchemy) but just to adapt what we have to accommodate for the conditions and situation for a Mars mission. Today Political system is the biggest brake for such program, some countries that have the technology prefer to invest trillions of $ on some surveillance programs or on wars to spread freedom, others want to press their geopolitical influence, and some want to control their huge population and cannot afford, to lose a double digit economy increase per year.

The sad part for me is despite the fact that it is not possible (colonizing Mars won't happen in one go but at least getting to Mars and getting things done would be a start and this what I'm talking about) we are not doing it, and we are risking extinction being it by killing our self, or being killed by some meteorite like the dinosaurs, if we have a colony on Mars that would be already a start and a backup plan for earth, and from there once we will become accommodated to space and space exploration will see a boost

Well said

I also think marsone will fail or be delayed by 20 years. Already 4 years gone by they have nothing to show for. Governments are spending all budget on wars with imaginary enemies and instruments to control people. No money for progress or scientific and medical research

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:41:59 AM

our governments aren't funding space exploration.. and private businesses won't do it either, since it doesn't really provide much for returns on investment. i think there would need to be a channel or tv show that would accompany it, so that it could be monetized somehow.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 01:55:02 AM

I also think marsone will fail or be delayed by 20 years. Already 4 years gone by they have nothing to show for. Governments are spending all budget on wars with imaginary enemies and instruments to control people. No money for progress or scientific and medical research

Not quite true - they have started the astronaut selection process and started the PR blitz they will need to succeed. 

cosmofly

Activity: 532

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:58:03 AM

Not quite true - they have started the astronaut selection process and started the PR blitz they will need to succeed. 

The whole thing is just Bullshit PR. The kind of money and resources they are raising is not even close to what you require for a realistic mars colony

It will fail or be delayed by another decade or two

dogechode (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:10:21 AM

our governments aren't funding space exploration.. and private businesses won't do it either, since it doesn't really provide much for returns on investment. i think there would need to be a channel or tv show that would accompany it, so that it could be monetized somehow.

They are doing exactly that. Mars One is making a reality show out of it.

Also guys, SpaceX will want to do this because they want to get more business. If their ship succeeds for these missions they will have a line of customers a mile long. Think about it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: