Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:40:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Colonizing Mars  (Read 4624 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 07:46:43 PM

That's not it at all. It's hypothetical because it's just fantasy based on what's theoretically possible. None of what they suggested has been tested and unlikely ever will.
It will be tested, and Mars will be terraformed. Who the hell wants to live on barrens?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 07:49:28 PM

That's not it at all. It's hypothetical because it's just fantasy based on what's theoretically possible. None of what they suggested has been tested and unlikely ever will.
It will be tested, and Mars will be terraformed. Who the hell wants to live on barrens?

It won't ever be terraformed or inhabited. It's not feasible or probably even possible at all.
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 07:51:53 PM

It's a good point. It's not that easy to terraform a planet though. First of all Mars would need a thicker atmosphere, and that's not an easy thing to do. Then we'd have to make the air breathable to us as well which would also be a huge problem.
One day maybe, if we haven't destroyed ourselves before that of course, it might actually be done. Smiley
It won't ever be terraformed or inhabited. It's not feasible or probably even possible at all.
It is possible. It's just very hard to do that, but absolutely possible with the right funding and devotion.
Wikipedia even has a page about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars
Gervais

Activity: 366

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:02:27 PM

It's a good point. It's not that easy to terraform a planet though. First of all Mars would need a thicker atmosphere, and that's not an easy thing to do. Then we'd have to make the air breathable to us as well which would also be a huge problem.
One day maybe, if we haven't destroyed ourselves before that of course, it might actually be done. Smiley
It is possible. It's just very hard to do that, but absolutely possible with the right funding and devotion.
Wikipedia even has a page about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars

Link was already posted.
Dogtanian

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:03:32 PM

Read the link. It's all hypothetical and theoretical.
dogechode (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:09:19 PM

Yes, but people went to America because they wanted a better life, political and religious freedom and such things. It didn't cost that much to cross the ocean either. They were aware that they would probably never return, and accepted it since they were desperate.
The problem with Mars is that it would require extremely much money, and that would require government funding or from some really rich person. But non of them are interested in wasting enormous amounts of money to let refugees from 3rd world country move to Mars (on the same terms and reasons as people moved to America).

Huh? I'm talking about when the government encouraged people to move west within America. It had little if anything to do with immigration as far as I know, it was Americans moving west not foreigners desperate to leave their native country to come to America.

There are hundreds of thousands of extremely qualified people applying for the Mars One project, and believe me they are not refugees lol.
blacksails

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 05:29:30 AM

Yes, but people went to America because they wanted a better life, political and religious freedom and such things. It didn't cost that much to cross the ocean either. They were aware that they would probably never return, and accepted it since they were desperate.
The problem with Mars is that it would require extremely much money, and that would require government funding or from some really rich person. But non of them are interested in wasting enormous amounts of money to let refugees from 3rd world country move to Mars (on the same terms and reasons as people moved to America).

Huh? I'm talking about when the government encouraged people to move west within America. It had little if anything to do with immigration as far as I know, it was Americans moving west not foreigners desperate to leave their native country to come to America.

There are hundreds of thousands of extremely qualified people applying for the Mars One project, and believe me they are not refugees lol.
Sorry, I didn't read the first part to well I guess! Tongue

I don't think they realize that they're actually going on a one-way ticket to mars. With only 4 people to live with the first two years.
Someone WILL go nuts. If they wanted to make a serious attempt they would send lots more people.
It is hypothetical, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. It has just never been done before!
dogechode (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:18:29 PM

I think a large part of the reason for them sending a small group is cost. Every person you add makes it much more expensive. The ship has to have more space which means a large ship, which in turn makes it more difficult and costly to escape from Earth's gravity. Every additional person means more supplies are needed, both on the initial ship and each subsequent delivery. I don't agree with the solution of sending just four people to start, but I understand how they reached that decision.

There may also be a psychological motive. There is a weird effect on isolated groups where people start to form rifts and divide into factions over the most trivial disagreements. So if they sent 8-12 people I think it is highly likely that they would find 2 or 3 splinter groups forming and dividing the team. With only 4 people, this is less likely and less significant.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:22:01 PM

Never ever say never...  100 years ago if I told you we were going to the moon you'd tar and feather me and I'd be the laughing stock of the city.. Guess what we landed on?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 02:22:56 PM

I don't think they realize that they're actually going on a one-way ticket to mars. With only 4 people to live with the first two years.
Someone WILL go nuts. If they wanted to make a serious attempt they would send lots more people.
It is hypothetical, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. It has just never been done before!
I'm certain that he will quote you again and say that it is theoretical and hypothetical and it might never be tested.  Cheesy
You will see that I was right in 15-20 years.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:43:48 PM

The earliest we can realistically expect to send an exploration mission to Mars is probably 2030-2035, and that is just one mission, NOT a colony. Someone will probably have to come up with an economic justification for such a colony, and right now that is hard to see.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 02:55:48 PM

The earliest we can realistically expect to send an exploration mission to Mars is probably 2030-2035, and that is just one mission, NOT a colony. Someone will probably have to come up with an economic justification for such a colony, and right now that is hard to see.

Maybe, if we want to return the astronauts to earth after they are done exploring.

By keeping them there we greatly reduce the technological and mission needs.

Mining is the biggest immediate economic justification.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
cosmofly

Activity: 532

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:57:42 PM

Terraforming requires Nuclear Fusion energy, actually mars is perfect for nuclear fusion because there is no will by current governments to adopt fusion on earth so Mars will be a good scenario.

However the logistics involved to construct massive fusion plants and teraforming technology will require another 300-500 years+ of advancement.

For the last time Mars One is a bullshit project, that will fail or significantly delayed.

RebelWorm

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:31:44 PM

Terraforming requires Nuclear Fusion energy, actually mars is perfect for nuclear fusion because there is no will by current governments to adopt fusion on earth so Mars will be a good scenario.

However the logistics involved to construct massive fusion plants and teraforming technology will require another 300-500 years+ of advancement.

For the last time Mars One is a bullshit project, that will fail or significantly delayed.
We could send asteroids into the martian surface as well. That would rise the temperature.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 04:11:04 PM

Terraforming Mars doesn't require Nuclear fusion per say, just energy, in fact using your average coal or oil energy station would much much more effective (as it produce, greenhouse gas) than nuclear fusion which basically a clean energy. The thing about terraforming is that it takes times, and resources, I believe that before thinking about terraforming it's more important to start by getting there and turning Mars into a permanent habitat for a group of humans to justify going trough a terra forming process

Btw in around a billion years the sun will be hot enough that Mars will be hot as hot if not hotter than our current earth, and with the CO2 and water melting in caps it might terraform the planet (atmospheric pressure will increase dramatical and liquid water will form) and and life on earth will not be possible anymore, heck even Jupiter moons will start to become more earth like (the ones with atmosphere like titan).

blacksails

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 04:33:31 PM

Terraforming Mars doesn't require Nuclear fusion per say, just energy, in fact using your average coal or oil energy station would much much more effective (as it produce, greenhouse gas) than nuclear fusion which basically a clean energy. The thing about terraforming is that it takes times, and resources, I believe that before thinking about terraforming it's more important to start by getting there and turning Mars into a permanent habitat for a group of humans to justify going trough a terra forming process

Btw in around a billion years the sun will be hot enough that Mars will be hot as hot if not hotter than our current earth, and with the CO2 and water melting in caps it might terraform the planet (atmospheric pressure will increase dramatical and liquid water will form) and and life on earth will not be possible anymore, heck even Jupiter moons will start to become more earth like (the ones with atmosphere like titan).
How well does coal burn on mars then? It's no/very little oxygen there, and oxygen is one important factor to CO2.

Also, I hardly doubt that humanity is still around in a billion years. I see no reason to wait that long anyway.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 04:49:53 PM

How well does coal burn on mars then? It's no/very little oxygen there, and oxygen is one important factor to CO2.

Also, I hardly doubt that humanity is still around in a billion years. I see no reason to wait that long anyway.

Of course you'll need to extract oxygen from other chemicals that are abundant.
And I agree humanity might disappear by the end of the century, if it keeps going with it stupidity and doesn't start thinking globally and for the best of the whole human race rather than just individual (being it a person a group or a country) greed. And one of the most important steps it's starting to seriously work on plans to move and spread to Mars (easiest location beside earth to live on) to have a backup plan when at least something serious happens on earth, and start easing up on earth in general, but for now it's all about greed and killing each other to each that ...
Dogtanian

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:06:54 PM

I'm certain that he will quote you again and say that it is theoretical and hypothetical and it might never be tested.  Cheesy
You will see that I was right in 15-20 years.

Tested in what capacity? On an actual planet? I'd be willing to bet it wont within 20 years.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:10:59 PM

Soon no - to establish a breeding population on another planet  would require genetic engineering as a full re-write and technology way beyond our current capacity.
Possible in theory yes - but I would not expect it to happen until the Sun becomes threatening

blacksails

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:14:35 PM

Soon no - to establish a breeding population on another planet  would require genetic engineering as a full re-write and technology way beyond our current capacity.
Possible in theory yes - but I would not expect it to happen until the Sun becomes threatening
At that time we'll be long gone. It's still a few billion years left. Homo sapiens has only existed about 100000-200000 years. Seems unlikely that there still is a "Homo x" specie still here. Maybe another intelligent life form will do it?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: