Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:31:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery miner at it again?  (Read 6858 times)
Cryptoman (OP)

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 07:18:33 PM

It seems we've had a sudden increase in network hashing power.  Mystery miner returns or people reacting to the rise in value of Bitcoins?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 08:04:40 PM

It seems we've had a sudden increase in network hashing power.  Mystery miner returns or people reacting to the rise in value of Bitcoins?

There is no way to know.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
purplezky

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 08:36:36 PM

<speculation>
Maybe u2u3 invested in a mining farm and bought some at Mt. gox ?  Huh
</speculation>

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5613.0
theGECK

Activity: 411
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 12:28:33 AM

Probably both. If I remember right, MM popped up at this price point last time too. So, it is probably  some network/company that is only worth mining when the price hits a specific level. That's my theory, at least, that MM is a botnet that requires a certain price point to cover the rent.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
ryepdx

Activity: 714

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 11:10:28 PM

You know what's interesting? If the Mystery Miner commands a large enough share of the network, they could feasibly drive up the price of bitcoins by holding on to all the bitcoins they mine instead of selling them on the open market. If a sizable share of all the network's bitcoins are going to them, they effectively reduce the overall supply and (potentially) turn people who would have been producers of bitcoins into consumers. This would also increase demand.

Then, once they have a decent amount mined and the price has gone up sufficiently, they could sell them all in a dark pool for a handsome profit. Prices would then plummet, of course.

Btw, anyone know where that 30,000 BTC sell-off from last week came from?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 11:17:48 PM

It needn't be any extra mining but just a lucky streak by the mining network that jacks up calculated hash rates over an extended period.

Deepbit.net had an epic day on April 13, solving  ~80% more blocks than it normally does ... so for that day the pool's has rate power comes out higher. Similar episodes are likely to occur for the whole network.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 11:19:35 PM

Kinda scary to think there is a single person or group with so much power over the Bitcoin economy...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 11:49:34 PM

Kinda scary to think there is a single person or group with so much power over the Bitcoin economy...

It is only an assumption that the "mystery miner" is a single person or group.  That's is actually unlikely.  More likely is that what we attribute to intentional action is a statistical outlier, and not any specific event.  Even if it is an event, there may be a trigger causing many different users to jump in at the same time, creating the illusion of a single powerful group.  Perhaps more than one person has already hacked the mining code to track the price/difficulty ratio, and only burn clock cycles if the ratio is above a certain value.  I'm not a coder, but compared to the complexity of the miners themselves, hacking the client to cycle generation on and off based on a simple calculation should be trivial.  I just wish whoever has done it would release their code.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 12:02:56 AM

Deepbit.net had an epic day on April 13, solving  ~80% more blocks than it normally does
That was my birthday... Cheesy

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 12:31:44 AM

It is only an assumption that the "mystery miner" is a single person or group.  That's is actually unlikely. 

Mystery miner was single person and his wallet is tracked already. Please search #bitcoin-dev logs for "MM" or "Mistery Miner".

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 12:40:21 AM

It is only an assumption that the "mystery miner" is a single person or group.  That's is actually unlikely. 

Mystery miner was single person and his wallet is tracked already. Please search #bitcoin-dev logs for "MM" or "Mistery Miner".

I don't have access to IRC at work, care to share?

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 12:44:00 AM

Wallet for receiving mining funds is http://blockexplorer.com/address/1PT3YvvKnNqT1513Vs9dZ59eU1gq7xQADc. Coins are currently lying here http://blockexplorer.com/address/12YZ8ubTBJHeWRtxFnRpmrgJuxaUv2nCQY

There is no specific IRC log to quote, it's many pieces spread in whole channel history Smiley.

fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 02:45:35 AM

http://blockexplorer.com/tx/f03b2e4feb915cc1dd7e226315386f459977d93c2919556fb3de73c83052ce3f#o0
Is that a clue? 2011.44?(4/4/2011) Damn, it cannot be just a coincidence!

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 02:53:19 AM

Interesting, mystery miner is a single entity/machine. Probably a commercial or academic cluster or supercomputer then. Wonder what incentivises them to be on/off the bitcoin network? (Besides having spare cycles).

Could be electricity cost, when bitcoin gets economic they crank it up. Certainly puts some punch behind the security of the network having something like that lurking out there ... how many more mystery miners might potentially come out of the woodwork when the price is right?

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 03:03:08 AM

Interesting, mystery miner is a single entity/machine. Probably a commercial or academic cluster or supercomputer then. Wonder what incentivises them to be on/off the bitcoin network? (Besides having spare cycles).

There are more arguments to think that MM was botnet. One of them is that MM shut it down after few days. 50k BTC is pretty nice result and every day of botnet operation is bigger risk of troubles...

Jim Hyslop

Activity: 98
Merit: 20

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 04:08:44 AM

http://blockexplorer.com/tx/f03b2e4feb915cc1dd7e226315386f459977d93c2919556fb3de73c83052ce3f#o0
Is that a clue? 2011.44?(4/4/2011) Damn, it cannot be just a coincidence!
Probably is. Just dig into each of the input transactions, and you'll see that most of them are older, some of them going back to January. Just someone consolidating all their bitcoins into a single address, I think.

Like my answer? Did I help? Tips gratefully accepted here: 1H6wM8Xj8GNrhqWBrnDugd8Vf3nAfZgMnq
Jim Hyslop

Merit: 20

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 04:11:04 AM

I wouldn't call it sudden. I've been graphing it since the last difficulty change, and it's been a gradual but steady increase. At this point, we seem to be averaging about 600GHash/sec. Which, incidentally, is putting us on course for another decrease of the target.

Like my answer? Did I help? Tips gratefully accepted here: 1H6wM8Xj8GNrhqWBrnDugd8Vf3nAfZgMnq
j16sdiz

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 04:15:12 AM

There are more arguments to think that MM was botnet. One of them is that MM shut it down after few days. 50k BTC is pretty nice result and every day of botnet operation is bigger risk of troubles...

I can't imagine what kind of damage a botnet can do
xf2_org

Merit: 13

View Profile
April 15, 2011, 04:30:09 AM

It seems likely that most botnet machines would be lower-powered, without capable GPU.  So, you'd need a really, really big CPU mining botnet basically...

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2011, 10:25:43 PM

It seems likely that most botnet machines would be lower-powered, without capable GPU.  So, you'd need a really, really big CPU mining botnet basically...

But what if the botnet intrustion code was smart enough to search for a suitable GPU (it would not care about mining efficiency so it would go for both ATI and AMD)!! Smiley Imagine the hashing power such a botnet could achieve. Imagine all those poor games who are left scratching their head wondering why their system lags and why temps spike "myseriously"...Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: