Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:33:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What's the hot thing to invest in 2014?
Ethereum - 23 (12.5%)
NXT - 72 (39.1%)
MaidSafe - 28 (15.2%)
All 3 above. - 19 (10.3%)
Something else - 42 (22.8%)
Total Voters: 184

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum, MaidSafe, NXT, anything else worth investing in, in 2014?  (Read 5878 times)
CryptoPanda (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 09:14:40 AM

So if I have to sum it up looks like Ethereum, NXT and MaidSafe are the 3 (potentially) hot things one can invest in 2014 if he wants to be in the position that bitcoin early adopters were in 2009?

Your thoughts?
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 09:35:40 AM

2 days ago I was going to take a small position on Maidsafe, suddenly, they screwed things up with the IPO trough MSC and I decided not to buy in. Nevertheless, the idea is really interesting, maybe I would give them a second chance.

NXT is really promising for me. I think in this forum there is a non reasonable hate towards NXT: If the price goes up, they blame the initial distribution, if the price goes down they say NXT is dead. This is totally stupid. The IMPORTANT point is the tons of developments the devs of NXT are carry on at the moment and you can check at their forum. In 3-4 months time and if the devs continue the good work, NXT could make a killing in cryptoworld.

Finally, I should read more about Ethereum to make a wise decision.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 10:35:42 AM

2 days ago I was going to take a small position on Maidsafe, suddenly, they screwed things up with the IPO trough MSC and I decided not to buy in. Nevertheless, the idea is really interesting, maybe I would give them a second chance.

NXT is really promising for me. I think in this forum there is a non reasonable hate towards NXT: If the price goes up, they blame the initial distribution, if the price goes down they say NXT is dead. This is totally stupid. The IMPORTANT point is the tons of developments the devs of NXT are carry on at the moment and you can check at their forum. In 3-4 months time and if the devs continue the good work, NXT could make a killing in cryptoworld.

Maidsafe didn't really screw up. They had more interest then they expected and the found a fair way to compensate people for the irregularities. The "I bought MSC and now I'm screwed" crowd has a small case, but they shouldn't take it too badly. MSC is just getting started and they are better off getting in now then in a years time.

I hadn't been fond of NXT as I'm more of a Mastercoin guy, but I'm going to give it a look along with Ethereum.

more or less retired.
xeroc

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:45:00 AM

You guys never heard of the BitShares ecosystem?

pre-alpha release of the website: http://bitshares.org
crimealone

Activity: 644
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:46:09 AM

Maidsafe didn't really screw up. They had more interest then they expected and the found a fair way to compensate people for the irregularities. The "I bought MSC and now I'm screwed" crowd has a small case, but they shouldn't take it too badly. MSC is just getting started and they are better off getting in now then in a years time.

I hadn't been fond of NXT as I'm more of a Mastercoin guy, but I'm going to give it a look along with Ethereum.

It's not just "I bought MSC and now I'm screwed". People who have invested in maidsafe are partial to maidsafe now. What dev have done is destroying the base of virtual community----trust. I really think the project is innovative. But if all of us just care about technique but not morality, this place gonna be full of scam.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
crimealone

Activity: 644
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:47:40 AM

We of course know BTS. It‘s still in developing.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
dirvine

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:54:39 AM

Good point, I think many of these projects all get along at the team level. It seem to be supporters of some who argue and cast wild allegations against who they think are competitors. As a community I think we need to support everything and keep very vigilant for the vapourware or poor projects and scams that will inevitably come. Since we started (maidsafe) speaking to the press etc. for instance we got some strange mails that we mostly ignored.

I was a slashdotter for years and that community were very good at pulling things apart and getting to the bottom of most things. They relied on the RTFM mentality and really forced people to speak with some authority in many cases. The [citation required] etc. comments seemed to work well and people trolling or just being accusing were dealt with pretty well. I cannot say much now as I am not there as much, it was great for a while though.

In talking with MasterCoin guys, NXT and Ethereum we seem to be very friendly at the project level, I think each of us projects need to jump on that behaviour to. We tend to vote down people who go on reddit etc. and slag off bitcloud or ethereum saying (incorrectly) maidsafe are simply better. It's not even a comparison as some of these projects have different goals and motivations, i.e. ethereum and MaidSafe could be parts of an amazing system in harmony, but they will not depend on each other for sure. The world will decide who is best not us.  I think many of the projects perhaps do the same and try and calm down extreme comments or misguided behaviour, we should maybe do more.

Opinion is great though, but mis-information or trolling kills good community forums. I think your approach seems pretty balanced and not always positive to MaidSafe, which is fine, we kinda like that. Everyone needs their feet on the ground.

We have something slashdot never though and that's lots and lots of meetup opportunities, nothing like looking in somebody's eyes when they speak to you. So if anyone see's me about feel free to do just that.
dirvine

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 12:14:02 PM

It's not just "I bought MSC and now I'm screwed". People who have invested in maidsafe are partial to maidsafe now. What dev have done is destroying the base of virtual community----trust. I really think the project is innovative. But if all of us just care about technique but not morality, this place gonna be full of scam.

We got caught on the hop, systems were still being developed and tested and we were to introduce things through the 30 days as it developed. It finished even before we could tell what was happening nearly. Amazing and great to see support, but the most frightening thing in my life so far (and I took to rough seas as a volunteer lifeboat helmsman to save people in danger, so this is no exaggeration on how scary this was).

What we did was allow BTC funders to participate, MSC was all purchased by us. BitAngels offered and paid out MSAFE to MSC holder who were aggrieved and could prove they had MSC. I think what was achieved was the fairest mechanism possible and we did the whole sale for 40% discount for everyone. I cannot see that as greed or erosion of trust. It was a difficult and fast decision which rightly alarmed everyone. We did do a release as soon as we could to explain it all, but no action would have meant all early BTC funders were locked out and that would have been the unfair part.

Looking back, yes I would have done it different, so would the Master Protocol guys. It was a tsunami we never seen (yes possibly we should have) coming and we had to action in the benefit of the masses and we did. There is a public meet tonight with many of the parties involved to do a 'warts and all' walk through to improve any upcoming crowd sales. This should help out anyone following us in the leading edge process we took part in. On that point we managed the situation by sticking together and focussing on the community first, then the projects last.

So yes mistakes happened and will be learned from, but lack of morality is not very fair for anyone involved as far as I could tell anyway.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 01:05:28 PM

I have bought into Mastercoin (just a little), Maidsafe (some), and NXT (a lot).  If Ethereum comes out, when it comes out, if it comes out, I will compare it up to the networks already in place.  I was ready to go in (a lot) before but they keep on delaying.  That doesn't build confidence in me especially since NXT is live now, albeit in a non-idealized version.  Right now NXT is just okay, but later it might be glorious.

As for another product.  I love bitcoin and think it is still a worthy investment.  The thing is, bitcoin has problems.  The main problem being a mining problem.  The altcoin clones are pretty much cheap knock offs to me.  All of them, even Litecoin.  I don't even look at something that involved a copy and paste in its code. 

That being said, if if if a new coin came along built with new code that was mineable by PCs on the CPU and only the CPU and would be guaranteed to stay that way, I would go in heavy on that.  IPO's like NXT are building very interesting platforms.  NEM too I think will be great, they will implement POI.  That will be like rewarding miners for actually maintaining the network, not doing useless math problems.  The beauty of a CPU coin that could be built on a platform like NEM or NXT would mean that small time people like me, you, and the guy down the street could mine their own cash on their own computer and spend it.  That would be really cool!  The problem is all altcoins are just clones of Bitcoin.  They all are copy and pasted with the same base in the same way so that they aren't reliable for home CPU mining.  They often try and get owned by GPUs or ASICs.  I have seen coins (looking at you bitshares) that were like "this will be only CPU and CPU forever and we will offer a bounty to anybody that proves us wrong" and boom days later the bounty has to be paid.  A CPU only coin would get back to the spirit of what bitcoin was meant to have been in the first place.  I would love to see that vision realized.  Maidsafe has a decent platform.  Rewarding nodes for doing real work that actually maintains the network.  We need that for a new coin.  If it doesn't happen, I am looking towards NXT, and if not NXT, then NEM which is already addressing the major flaws that NXT started off with. 

jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 01:15:55 PM

We got caught on the hop, systems were still being developed and tested and we were to introduce things through the 30 days as it developed. It finished even before we could tell what was happening nearly. Amazing and great to see support, but the most frightening thing in my life so far (and I took to rough seas as a volunteer lifeboat helmsman to save people in danger, so this is no exaggeration on how scary this was).

What we did was allow BTC funders to participate, MSC was all purchased by us. BitAngels offered and paid out MSAFE to MSC holder who were aggrieved and could prove they had MSC. I think what was achieved was the fairest mechanism possible and we did the whole sale for 40% discount for everyone. I cannot see that as greed or erosion of trust. It was a difficult and fast decision which rightly alarmed everyone. We did do a release as soon as we could to explain it all, but no action would have meant all early BTC funders were locked out and that would have been the unfair part.

Looking back, yes I would have done it different, so would the Master Protocol guys. It was a tsunami we never seen (yes possibly we should have) coming and we had to action in the benefit of the masses and we did. There is a public meet tonight with many of the parties involved to do a 'warts and all' walk through to improve any upcoming crowd sales. This should help out anyone following us in the leading edge process we took part in. On that point we managed the situation by sticking together and focussing on the community first, then the projects last.

So yes mistakes happened and will be learned from, but lack of morality is not very fair for anyone involved as far as I could tell anyway.

I know there is a lot of criticism going on about the sell, but you weren't the only one caught by surprised.  I bought mastercoin to buy safecoin, came home 3 hours after the sell started only to find out I couldn't even use my mastercoins. hahahaha.  Your explanations have been good enough for me. All things considered, I think you did a good job and look forward to see what will come of this in the future.  I have been following this launch and think that all things being considered, you have been trying hard to be transparent and fair.   

That being said, if mastercoin ever tries to be sold at a price different than their market price ever again, I will dump and trash talk it again and again.  We all learnt once, no need to repeat this mistake going forward.  And on Maidsafe's part, it would be cool if Maidsafe made some back up plans for things going forward too.  Like say for instance, "We think that this is going to happen, but just in case _______ happens, what are we going to do?"  I think that is a pretty reasonable request and one that the community would be happy if Maidsafe went through with.  Maidsafe doesn't have to be perfect and can't catch everything making a whole new platform from the ground up and going live in a way nobody has before, so some glitches are expected, but hopefully with some back up plans things can be monitored and acted upon when they come up in a way that inspires confidence.

mercSuey

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:50:25 PM

Yep, Invictus and Maidsafe have a lot of similar initiatives.
templar77

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:23:51 PM

Starving_Marvin

Activity: 511

Open and Transparent Science Powered By Blockchain

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:31:16 PM

eMunie of course

TrailingComet

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:41:21 PM

On a tangential note, is Dogecoin done?

skylys

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 04:19:26 PM

NXT of course:D
upekha

Activity: 183

TDTPJR-P5SGXY-UU2OS6-BPTUV4-NJYQFT-6CWYZP-IA2W

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 04:35:08 PM

NEM, my dear.

NEM - New Economy Movement
CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 05:16:53 PM

come on??
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 04:07:08 AM

On a tangential note, is Dogecoin done?

Doge is an interesting experiment in progress.  It was printing a ton of Doge, now just a lot.  It should have not ever been worth anything, but people liked it.  It will print less and less in the coming months and by the end of the year just a little bit.  If it holds till the end of the year, it will be good.

CryptoPanda (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 06:22:19 AM

27% of the people  the poll say something else is the host investment for 2014, well what is it?
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 06:46:29 AM

I think that even if NXT, Etherium, NEM and Maidsafe ALL do exactly what they say, those networks alone won't remotely be able to satisfy the demand for this type of technology when it gets going.

Here's a small example just using NXT from my own industry (software development). I am an independent software developer and I plan to use the NXT asset exchange (currently in development) to issue software licenses as follows:

[1] - a licensing component in the software makes a call to the NXT network and creates an account (instantaneous)

[2] - it writes the private key to disk and informs the user of the account number

[3] - the user purchases one license unit from the NXT asset exchange

[4] - on a subsequent launch (or periodically) the software detects the presence of the appropriate asset in the account it created for itself and considers the installation licensed

So NXT doesn't have to become the new bitcoin to become hugely valuable. It just has to capture a tiny part of some relatively tiny world markets for all sorts of applications to be massively in demand.

NXT will be needed to:

A. Issue the assets (Currently costs 1000 NXT per asset, but I don't know if there's a limit on the quantity you can issue)
B. Pay for the assets

The thing about 2nd gen alts is there's a diversity of applications. They can all be successful and not even tap 1% of the potential market. 1st generation alts are currency and that's it so there can only really be 1 or 2 winners.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: