Bitcoin Forum
July 24, 2024, 03:27:07 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BIP38 Encrytion Problem - 3BTC Reward  (Read 1198 times)
leeiam (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:40:47 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2014, 09:26:09 PM by leeiam

Ive encrypted a paper wallet with BIP38 and loaded coins to it but when i try to decrypt it, there is an error of 'incorrect password' displayed. Ive tried variations of the password and recreating the wallet with the same password and decrypting that, but still getting the same problem.

The wallet is infact a BlackCoin wallet, but I presume that it is similar to BTC in many ways. Im offering a 2BTC reward to anybody that can fix this issue so i can retrieve my coins.

Thanks, Leeiam
LendingTree

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:44:45 AM

Known issue:

Use the exact same browser you used when creating the key, If you use Safari, use safari to open, for some reason, different browsers generate different passkeys, for the same wallet.

Link:  https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/issues/56

Let me know if this works.  If not, I have other ideas as well.
LendingTree

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:50:53 AM

Also:

https://github.com/cantonbecker/bitcoinpaperwallet/pull/6#issuecomment-31838184

and

https://github.com/cheongwy/node-scrypt-js/issues/2

Make sure you use the same version of the browser also, this may mean you will have to roll back an update, especially if using Safari 6.x
softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 12:06:15 PM

Which os do u use, u might have to use the same os and browser version.

roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 12:20:15 PM

Ive encrypted a paper wallet with BIP38 and loaded coins to it but when i try to decrypt it, there is an error of 'incorrect password' displayed. Ive tried variations of the password and recreating the wallet with the same password and decrypting that, but still getting the same problem.

The wallet is infact a BlackCoin wallet, but I presume that it is similar to BTC in many ways. Im offering a 2BTC reward to anybody that can fix this issue so i can retrieve my coins.

Thanks, Leeiam

Well ... if you get a message "incorrect password" you cannot do nothing - instead of typing right password ...

You can always bruteforce it Tongue
leeiam (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:26:10 PM

This dsent seem to be the issue, im running Win7 with Chrome. The problem is with the encryption/decryption of the wallet over on http://paperwallet.ga/.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:28:56 PM

Yeah. I have a lot of bitcoins lost this way. Maybe this tip will help.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 04:58:52 PM

Have you tried checking alternate versions of your password? You may have mistyped a letter or digit while creating it.

If so, you could try modifying a bip38 cracker to test variations of your password, such as this (brute-force) one: https://github.com/cscott/bip38-cracker

I've used it in the past for contests, so I know it works and it is easily modifiable for basic variations.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
leeiam (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:18:19 AM

Still no luck with this, reward stands at 2BTC!
Dare

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 10:14:53 PM

At this point, I don't think you have any options besides trying to crack it, if your attempts at guessing your password have failed. If you look around on the forum, there are a few scripts you could modify to run variations on your password for blackcoin (most are for bitcoin, but may be compatible), or failing that there are a few reputable wallet recovery services you could try.

How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
leeiam (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 09:06:47 AM

Ive tried creating another wallet with the password of just 'a' and decrypting it and its still not worked, so i dont know how i would go about trying to crack it to be honest. What wallet recovery services do you know of? Thanks!
Dare

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 12:40:20 AM

I tested out paperwallet.ga, and it seems that it can't decrypt any bip38 blackcoin wallets, not just its own. It seems http://blackwallet.me/ works, but it can't decrypt wallets from paperwallet.ga. This most likely means that paperwallet.ga's encryption and decryption code is broken, so there's not much you can do other than saving a copy and asking someone if they can find the bug in it. The wallet recovery services I mentioned are for cracking the password to a wallet (in case you've forgotten it) but I don't think they'll be able to do much to recover from a broken bip38 generator. Someone more skilled than I am with JS crypto should be able to fix the bug and possibly recover your coins, but I've never gone looking for anything like that before so i won't be much help there.

Do you have any unencrypted backups you could possibly recover? That would be the easiest solution, if available.

How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
leeiam (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 09:19:17 PM

Pretty much gave up hope on this now  Embarrassed if theres anyone that would know how to fix the bug an sort this out i will raise the reward to 3BTCs!!

Worth one last post i guess
Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:13:40 PM

Try removing the spaces between the words in your passphrase. If there are no spaces, try adding them in between each word. One last shot, ehh Cheesy.

Edit: Also, try doubling up your passphrase and adding a space before it in case you accidentally copied it twice when you encrypted the private key.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: