Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:17:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone's bitcoin story?  (Read 2099 times)
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 01:12:35 AM

Late last year a friend asked me if I "knew what bitcoin was"?. I thought it was video game money, I have a daughter who's 24 so you can imagine how much cash I used to spend for "video game money" in her teen years. Then he told me the price, asked me to look into it and now it has a big chunk of my attention.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
dharmapuriharithaa

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:22:37 AM

My friend introduced about Bitcoin one year before. That time i don't had any interest in bitcoin. I thought it is a coins used in the games. When bitcoin reached at $1000 range that time only i got more interest.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 10:33:35 AM

i started by mining in the gpu days till the end of 2012?  when spring came in 2013 it became unprofitable
i gambled  it all away a couple months ago
now im buying and holding long term as much as i can
im looking at least 5-10 year horizon and i will reconsider at that time.
You should have kept everything. Many of us made this same mistake.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
NxtSwag

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:20:39 AM

Joe rogan tweeted something about silk rd and bitcoin last march. Caught the crypto bug Cheesy

TD367D-V7SCYE-WZHX66-IYAUMN-7PSUKE-NDHWNB-NDXU
pabpete (OP)

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 11:50:38 PM

Cool to hear some stories  Grin
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 01:16:47 AM

I googled how to get free steam games or something and someone said look into bitcoin mining.
btcprice

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 01:18:12 AM

I learned about bitcoin in 2011 on another Internet forum. The price was skyrocketing so I bought 100 BTC at $20 each. The price promptly went down so I ended up selling at $8 each. Lesson learned I thought. I had been "tuliped" I thought.

Then I hear back in November 2013 that the price was climbing once again. Except this time I saw a chart that showed that the Chinese exchanges now were buying half the bitcoins after only approximately 1 month. I just received an $8500 signing bonus from work so it all went into bitcoin, starting at $301 each. Yes, I even bought a few at $1100 but most were bought in the $300-$500 range.

I've also been investing in altcoins. I took my bitcoin/altcoin profits and used them for a down payment on a house. I had the salary to buy a house, just never enough for the down payment until bitcoin.
pabpete (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 03:01:47 AM

I learned about bitcoin in 2011 on another Internet forum. The price was skyrocketing so I bought 100 BTC at $20 each. The price promptly went down so I ended up selling at $8 each. Lesson learned I thought. I had been "tuliped" I thought.

Then I hear back in November 2013 that the price was climbing once again. Except this time I saw a chart that showed that the Chinese exchanges now were buying half the bitcoins after only approximately 1 month. I just received an $8500 signing bonus from work so it all went into bitcoin, starting at $301 each. Yes, I even bought a few at $1100 but most were bought in the $300-$500 range.

I've also been investing in altcoins. I took my bitcoin/altcoin profits and used them for a down payment on a house. I had the salary to buy a house, just never enough for the down payment until bitcoin.
. Wow, now that's inspiring. A down payment on a house with bitcoin! Smiley hope I can get that far.
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 03:21:37 AM

I have BTCitcoin, therefore I'm rich!

i am here.
tesene

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 04:31:58 AM

I saw a piece on the new and contemplated taking up mining but didn't.  Looking back, I sure wish I would have started THEN!

Honorcoin | 100% PoS HCeeVqxQo4d8kbWX869B6AECRcWGs1cAJL
durrrr

Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:39:37 AM

i got into bitcoin from seals with clubs. i was a poker player before black friday in 2012 and i found seals. i played for awhile won and lost a lot and got out of it. bitcoin price skyrocketed and since ive came back

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 11:20:41 AM

I read about Cryptsy by the end of November, 2013. I realised that I have been trading stocks which have incredible fees and low returns so I turned to BTC. The technology sucked me in completely.

btcprice

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:21:36 PM

. Wow, now that's inspiring. A down payment on a house with bitcoin! Smiley hope I can get that far.

Thanks. I hope the price of bitcoin goes up so much that you can afford a down payment on a house too. Then your investment on your house should get you even more money.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:44:36 PM

Bitcoin was mentioned in March 2012 by one of the Ron Paul talking heads on facebook. I checked it out, and wasn't immediately convinced. It did catch my attention enough that I didn't stop researching. Within a few weeks I was relatively convinced, and started mining about .4 per week (about $2 at the time). I had thousands of dollars I could have dropped on btc at the time... but didn't. I'd buy and use them, buy and use them. Finally in January 2013 I put about $1k in and got my last major chunk (btc wise) just before the run up to $266. After that I sat there looking at the $120 price, and couldn't stomach a purchase. I converted 1/3rd of my btc to silver at the time, figuring we'd see another prolonged downtrend. Then came China. Now I don't have the stomach to sell at any price. I don't care what the price is any more, I just buy. I've taken every spare penny for the last 4 months and put it in to btc. I've bought at anything between $850 and $350 recently... and as low as $4.50 historically.

I have bought some cool stuff with BTC. I bought a high end (hobbyist grade) 3D printer, and used my stash as collateral on cash loan for a down payment on my house. Bitcoin has opened me up to business internationally. I've done btc business with Spain, Italy, Venezuela, and Ireland. Like more countries, but the state no longer matters with btc.

Since learning about bitcoin I've moved politically from an ideologically inconsistent liberty Republican, to an ideologically consistent deontological and consequentialist anarcho-capitalist. It's not because of bitcoin, but bitcoin has provided an ongoing thought experiment. The implications are phenomenal.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 10:19:15 PM

Not much of a story I suppose for me. A good friend of mine made note of it to me (knowing my tech ninja status in my circles), though I did remember seeing something about Bitcoin a few years earlier on some tech website. Back then it was just a little known garage project. But, I was into Bitcoin hook line and sinker after that, forming Blockburner as a Bitcoin business in the realm of mining and infrastructure realizing quickly the potential of blockchain technology and it being the cutting edge kind of business I had been looking to start my entire life as a would-be entrepreneur of little success.

The end of the story is that Bitcoin did renew my overall purpose in life which had become lost to me sometime prior as a generic datacenter tech rotting away in a server filled corporate dungeon. So for that, my friend/partner has my eternal gratitude for getting me on an exciting new path.

pabpete (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:42:30 AM

Bitcoin was mentioned in March 2012 by one of the Ron Paul talking heads on facebook. I checked it out, and wasn't immediately convinced. It did catch my attention enough that I didn't stop researching. Within a few weeks I was relatively convinced, and started mining about .4 per week (about $2 at the time). I had thousands of dollars I could have dropped on btc at the time... but didn't. I'd buy and use them, buy and use them. Finally in January 2013 I put about $1k in and got my last major chunk (btc wise) just before the run up to $266. After that I sat there looking at the $120 price, and couldn't stomach a purchase. I converted 1/3rd of my btc to silver at the time, figuring we'd see another prolonged downtrend. Then came China. Now I don't have the stomach to sell at any price. I don't care what the price is any more, I just buy. I've taken every spare penny for the last 4 months and put it in to btc. I've bought at anything between $850 and $350 recently... and as low as $4.50 historically.

I have bought some cool stuff with BTC. I bought a high end (hobbyist grade) 3D printer, and used my stash as collateral on cash loan for a down payment on my house. Bitcoin has opened me up to business internationally. I've done btc business with Spain, Italy, Venezuela, and Ireland. Like more countries, but the state no longer matters with btc.

Since learning about bitcoin I've moved politically from an ideologically inconsistent liberty Republican, to an ideologically consistent deontological and consequentialist anarcho-capitalist. It's not because of bitcoin, but bitcoin has provided an ongoing thought experiment. The implications are phenomenal.
very interesting! What type of buisness do you operate?
thirdprize

Activity: 485
Merit: 274

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 09:11:50 AM

I have been following BTC on and off for a couple of years.  I remember when it was around $10.  It all seemed so obscure that I never thought it would go anywhere.  So i didn't bother investing.  Been kicking myself ever since. 

Got a cheap USB asic which might earn me .01 BTC in 6 months (as it only runs when the work laptop is on).  Might buy some coins when they get back down to $10 Wink

I just like the geekyness of saying im mining bitcoins.  Especially as it doesn't actually involve doing anything. 

chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 10:55:04 AM

Yay Venezuela! Smiley Nice to see someone spreading the BTC love!

I think this is the most important fact about bitcoin: showing the anarchism can be brought to real life with technology being the enabler. I too have moved from a semi-leftist position to a more anarchist ideology. No need to be constrained by complicated and bureaucratic schemes. Nice to see someone else had the same reaction to bitcoin.

pabpete (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 06:39:41 AM

I am very excited and believe wholeheartedly in this community!
AshFir3245

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 12:58:11 PM

My name is Ash and I am from Germany.
Started with bitcoin in 2013 using gox and was really happy when bitcoin was going up  Cheesy
Less happy when gox fell before I could withdraw my funds.
I even tried to speak with my bank, Dresdner AG, but they said my transfers were processed...

Anwyay, started working with my own cold wallet now, I have fate in bitcoin and looking forward for future  Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: