Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:51:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CAIXIN] PBOC BANS ALL BTC FIAT CHANNELS (DEADLINE MAY 10)  (Read 8906 times)
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 06:57:07 AM

If the news are true and they ban fiat withdrawal channel, most Chinese traders will have NO CHOICE but to withdraw in the small window between NOW and MAY 10 at the highest price they can sell their BTC off

Did the possibility even occur to you that there is another way to withdraw money from the exchange? Hint: This isn't the same as the stock exchange where you would lose your money should the fiat channel be closed because you can't get your stocks out.

Since you say "NO CHOICE" (sic) I am wondering if you have even a basic understanding of Bitcoin.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Siegfried

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 07:00:54 AM

Deposits will soon be removed from the Chinese exchanges, users will have some time to withdraw their funds, and this story will be behind us.  Until ALL the Chinese exchanges stop doing business, this will continue to drag on.  Can't blame them for trying what they can to continue on, but at some point enough is enough.  They aren't allowed to accept RMB (CNY), and there is no financial innovation they can use to avoid it.

The future for China is a decentralized exchange which matches buyers/sellers and is hosted off-shore.  The exchange will not touch fiat currency, only BTC.  The BTC will be held in escrow as one party sends money to the other.  When both parties agree that the Alipay / bank transfer has been received by the BTC seller, the BTC will be released to the buyer's address which they provided before-hand.

This business model is effectively impossible for China to regulate and will eventually lead to a full-out ban on Bitcoin.  However, such a ban will be very difficult to enforce.

^^ Your model is probably the only solution left for Chinese exchanges. a localbitcoins-like exchange.

Again, there's a few problems with the original exchange model (HK-hosted, transfer to HK)

1. Max limit of $50K transfer to HK exchanges yearly per citizen
2. Immediate 4% loss on any order/transfer between mainland / offshore (CNY conversion) (this is enormous!)

Therefore it will be very tricky for the exchanges to bypass #2, unless they somehow find a way to do Escrow between citizens in mainland. And if they do find a solution, the workaround will prob. be banned again.

Even with this solution, capital input with greatly be reduced (localbitcoins), as they just trade BTC between themselves. There's no new fresh money entering the market. To withdraw, you must find a buyer. To buy, you lose 4% off the bat

It's a really fucked up situation up there

After they all dump, we'll probably finally decouple from Huobi and return to pre-China bubble price (with the addition of new western infrastructure)

I think you've misinterpreted the business model for a decentralized Chinese exchange.  China has much more advanced Person-to-Person payment methods than the Western world.  People can make instant, irreversible transfers through Alipay for a few cents, and all you need to pay money to another person is their Alipay number. 

This "exchange" does not touch the fiat currency.  It is sent directly from buyer to seller.  The exchange simply matches buyers and sellers, and once a deal has been arranged they hold the BTC in escrow.  The BTC could be uploaded beforehand to save time, and be held on accounts, but this is not essential. 

When the exchange confirms that the BTC is in escrow, they provide the buyer with the seller's Alipay number.  The buyer now sends the money via Alipay to the seller.  Ideally, the buyer/seller are acting in good faith.  Once seller has received the money, the seller confirms this and the BTC is released to the buyer.

The exchange will be responsible for dispute resolution and will take a fee from the BTC being held.  The exchange will NOT be hosted in China, and therefore will not be breaking any laws.  It can be hosted in Australia for all it matters.  Just can't be on Chinese soil, since it would be shut down.

The "exchange" should record successful transactions and give +1 feedback for each successful transaction done by a buyer/seller.  Conversely, they should give -1 point for any party which enters a transaction and does not fulfill their end of the deal.  Fraudulent usage of the dispute system should result in a "Trade with caution" status on a user's profile.  Prevent users from signing up with the same Alipay number on multiple accounts.

That would be beautiful.
R2Pleasent

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

Owner@ CryptoFundingTracker.com

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 07:12:28 AM

Deposits will soon be removed from the Chinese exchanges, users will have some time to withdraw their funds, and this story will be behind us.  Until ALL the Chinese exchanges stop doing business, this will continue to drag on.  Can't blame them for trying what they can to continue on, but at some point enough is enough.  They aren't allowed to accept RMB (CNY), and there is no financial innovation they can use to avoid it.

The future for China is a decentralized exchange which matches buyers/sellers and is hosted off-shore.  The exchange will not touch fiat currency, only BTC.  The BTC will be held in escrow as one party sends money to the other.  When both parties agree that the Alipay / bank transfer has been received by the BTC seller, the BTC will be released to the buyer's address which they provided before-hand.

This business model is effectively impossible for China to regulate and will eventually lead to a full-out ban on Bitcoin.  However, such a ban will be very difficult to enforce.

^^ Your model is probably the only solution left for Chinese exchanges. a localbitcoins-like exchange.

Again, there's a few problems with the original exchange model (HK-hosted, transfer to HK)

2. Immediate 4% loss on any order/transfer between mainland / offshore (CNY conversion) (this is enormous!)

Therefore it will be very tricky for the exchanges to bypass #2, unless they somehow find a way to do Escrow between citizens in mainland. And if they do find a solution, the workaround will prob. be banned again.

Even with this solution, capital input with greatly be reduced (localbitcoins), as they just trade BTC between themselves. There's no new fresh money entering the market. To withdraw, you must find a buyer. To buy, you lose 4% off the bat

After they all dump, we'll probably finally decouple from Huobi and return to pre-China bubble price (with the addition of new western infrastructure)

I think you've misinterpreted the business model for a decentralized Chinese exchange.  China has much more advanced Person-to-Person payment methods than the Western world.  People can make instant, irreversible transfers through Alipay for a few cents, and all you need to pay money to another person is their Alipay number. 

This "exchange" does not touch the fiat currency.  It is sent directly from buyer to seller.  The exchange simply matches buyers and sellers, and once a deal has been arranged they hold the BTC in escrow.  The BTC could be uploaded beforehand to save time, and be held on accounts, but this is not essential. 

When the exchange confirms that the BTC is in escrow, they provide the buyer with the seller's Alipay number.  The buyer now sends the money via Alipay to the seller.  Ideally, the buyer/seller are acting in good faith.  Once seller has received the money, the seller confirms this and the BTC is released to the buyer.

The exchange will be responsible for dispute resolution and will take a fee from the BTC being held.  The exchange will NOT be hosted in China, and therefore will not be breaking any laws.  It can be hosted in Australia for all it matters.  Just can't be on Chinese soil, since it would be shut down.

The "exchange" should record successful transactions and give +1 feedback for each successful transaction done by a buyer/seller.  Conversely, they should give -1 point for any party which enters a transaction and does not fulfill their end of the deal.  Fraudulent usage of the dispute system should result in a "Trade with caution" status on a user's profile.  Prevent users from signing up with the same Alipay number on multiple accounts.

That would be beautiful.

Absolutely, and it would be much easier to use than Localbitcoins.  Localbitcoins' main downside is that the most commonly accepted payment methods are not processed online.  The buyer must either go to a bank and deposit cash into the seller's account, or meet them in person.  Either way, you can't sit down at your desk and buy a Bitcoin.  That makes the process much more tedious.

In this model, the buyer does not need to leave his desk.  By trading a reputable online seller, a buyer is able to buy Bitcoins in minutes.  Likely even more quickly than they can right now (it takes ~1 hour for money to hit exchanges in China through bank transfer atm).

Once someone has Bitcoins in their wallet, they can take them to any exchange and trade.  You can trade Bitcoin on BTC-e / Bitstamp / Cryptsy in China, so long as you have Bitcoins.  The "exchange" we are speaking of (which is actually more of an escrow than an exchange) is only used for cashing in / out of Bitcoin.  Anyone looking to speculate on BTC price / day trade should bring their coins to an off-shore Bitcoin exchange.

Owner & Co-Founder @ CryptoFundingTracker.com
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 07:21:56 AM

The passive aggressive reaction to unwelcome news, the jerkish attitude to the messenger bearing said news (sorry y3804), and the pure bile poured over China and the Chinese in this thread (and the forum in general)  is nothing short of depressing.

Grow up, Bitcoin investors. You didn't whine when China pushed us to 1000+, so now that they put in the reverse gear, you should bear* it with some dignity as well.

* yea, couldn't resist the pun, sorry :)

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
edwardspitz

Activity: 546

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 08:20:57 AM

The passive aggressive reaction to unwelcome news, the jerkish attitude to the messenger bearing said news (sorry y3804), and the pure bile poured over China and the Chinese in this thread (and the forum in general)  is nothing short of depressing.

Grow up, Bitcoin investors. You didn't whine when China pushed us to 1000+, so now that they put in the reverse gear, you should bear* it with some dignity as well.

* yea, couldn't resist the pun, sorry Smiley

+1

What is frustrating is the lack reliable information. In the future we maybe look back and think "well, they did give us a fair warning". Another thing I find interesting is that last week there were multiple failed attempts on the Chinese exchanges to drive the price up. The way the Chinese bulls were held down did not look natural to me and I think they failed was because the western exchanges did not really follow. So the resent drop is in my opinion because of failed attempts to raise the price and because of bad news. This week I think that quite a few people on the Western exchanges got caught around $480-$490 (before the bad news), and these people seem to be holding like champs. To me is another indication that Stamp is currently leading. Unless we get more bad news I think the price will slowly go up from here. I would be interested to hear if you agree or disagree with this analysis.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 08:30:47 AM

I guess it's the attitude and the glee of the messenger. I mean, what are people even doing here if they share Krugman's opinions about Bitcoin?

And frankly, these guys are getting boring and irritating - I read this BS *every* time in a bear market. But so far, every bear market has been a bear trap.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:11:57 AM

I guess it's the attitude and the glee of the messenger. I mean, what are people even doing here if they share Krugman's opinions about Bitcoin?

And frankly, these guys are getting boring and irritating - I read this BS *every* time in a bear market. But so far, every bear market has been a bear trap.

Agreed...if it is to be believed that these threads are not being pushed so as to manipulate the market then i assume that y307.954 and his other mates will turn bullish or (support bitcoin) once they have a fill price they are happy with or

They are just permamnent assholes .....why dont you just fuck off out of our community ..instead of continually trying to what "DESTROY" crypto .. is this teh right word Huh because really i dont get what your purpose here is ??

If you hate crypto so much ..theres the door -> take you negative chinese shit & mastubate on chat roulette ... I am a bit over buying the same donkey time & time again with the chicken little chinese FUD

Tongue

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:00:53 PM

They are just permamnent assholes .....why dont you just fuck off out of our community

You said it...
Wait...I still want cheap miners-0.619 BTC ($1.57/GH/s). Can anybody else, but chinese have such prices-of course, not.
With that said, who cares if recharging is banned in the mainland when they can transfer 50K/year to HK. I don't think that anybody except top 0.01-0.1% are investing more than that yearly in BTC. No problem.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:45:42 PM

Biodom - exactly!  Smiley

There is 1000 million Chinese. If only 1 million Chinese transfers 50k per year to HK and buys BTC, that would be $50 000 000 000 per year; far more than enough.

Plus the local trades and the shadow banking and many other avenues; there are trillions of bored capital in China and if Chinese WANT they will find a way

Question is, do they still want it? Probably...there is just too much liquidity, the PBOC cannot stop this long term.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
R2Pleasent

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

Owner@ CryptoFundingTracker.com

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 07:50:30 AM

There is 1000 million Chinese. If only 1 million Chinese transfers 50k per year to HK and buys BTC, that would be $50 000 000 000 per year; far more than enough.

Plus the local trades and the shadow banking and many other avenues; there are trillions of bored capital in China and if Chinese WANT they will find a way

Question is, do they still want it? Probably...there is just too much liquidity, the PBOC cannot stop this long term.

Let me explain why the $50K / year limit is largely irrelevant to Chinese Bitcoin users.

#1 - Chinese citizens will still need to wire this money to an exchange after converting it.  PBOC will likely ban international wires to popular BTC exchanges.  Cutting off BTC-e, Kraken, Bitstamp, etc. would not be difficult.  By announcing that banks cannot be used to send money to Bitcoin exchanges, they could even potentially pull back wires which have been received by Bitcoin exchanges from Chinese bank accounts.

#2 - Chinese are using Bitcoin to avoid currency controls.  The people who really need Bitcoin have used up their limits in FOREX ($50k/year)

#3 - International wires cost money ($40 each on average), and are difficult to send.  You must physically go to a bank, wait in line (China lines, they're long as hell), and fill out all the information for the receiver.  It's a complicated process, especially when someone has not sent a wire before.  Right now, Chinese citizens can fund their exchange accounts with a few clicks of their mouse.

If the best option for someone in China is going to the bank, converting CNY to foreign currency, and sending a wire to a Bitcoin exchange, then the Chinese system is crippled in a big way.  These guys are used to 1 hour online deposits and 0% fees.

Owner & Co-Founder @ CryptoFundingTracker.com
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 06:33:22 PM

The level of denial here is amusing.

Look. China has exchange controls. Exchanging yuan for currencies outside China is restricted. For a brief time last fall, Bitcoin was a safe, easy way around those restrictions. That caused the Bitcoin runup from $100 to $1000. Then the People's Bank of China (equivalent to the U.S. Treasury plus the Fed) decided to shut that down. They issued clear guidance to that effect. Some Bitcoin enthusiasts, both inside and outside China, didn't get the message. The PBOC gradually took stronger measures. Now they're issuing direct orders to individual banks not to deal with Bitcoin, directly or indirectly.

There are still some people here fantasizing that the shutdown isn't happening. Get real.
NationOwnedCCNow

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 06:44:25 PM

Look. China has exchange controls. Exchanging yuan for currencies outside China is restricted. For a brief time last fall, Bitcoin was a safe, easy way around those restrictions. That caused the Bitcoin runup from $100 to $1000. Then the People's Bank of China (equivalent to the U.S. Treasury plus the Fed) decided to shut that down. They issued clear guidance to that effect. Some Bitcoin enthusiasts, both inside and outside China, didn't get the message. The PBOC gradually took stronger measures. Now they're issuing direct orders to individual banks not to deal with Bitcoin, directly or indirectly.

There are still some people here fantasizing that the shutdown isn't happening. Get real.

Or, is the banks of China controlled by a Central bank that is controlled by IMF and Worldbank that is controlled by USA/Rothschilds/FED?

And the state News just don't Reach us in the west?

Could be, as far as I know, cuz I can't Reach chinese newspapers Sad
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 08:33:28 PM

Or, is the banks of China controlled by a Central bank that is controlled by IMF and Worldbank that is controlled by USA/Rothschilds/FED?

PBOC is quite independent of the IMF, WorldBank, or the USA/Rothschilds/Feds. Only in the fertile imaginations of conspiracy theorists, if you ask me, and I DO have a very suspicious mind.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 08:34:31 PM

I respect your opinion, but this is a new technology. Chinese nerds get just as excited about it as American nerds. Nothing is going to stop Chinese people from finding a way to get into Bitcoin.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
NationOwnedCCNow

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 08:39:56 PM

PBOC is quite independent of the IMF, WorldBank, or the USA/Rothschilds/Feds. Only in the fertile imaginations of conspiracy theorists, if you ask me, and I DO have a very suspicious mind.

Alright. I do see though how FEDs would want americans to claim BTC before anyone else though, and from there my thoughts awoke Smiley
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 08:50:41 PM

I respect your opinion, but this is a new technology. Chinese nerds get just as excited about it as American nerds. Nothing is going to stop Chinese people from finding a way to get into Bitcoin.
Dream on. They can't even get into Google, Facebook, or Youtube.

I would not be at all surprised if the Great Firewall of China started blocking Bitcoin wallet traffic.
xulescu

Activity: 263

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 09:46:43 PM

Coinffeine. The exchange is distributed.
ihaveaquestion

Activity: 563
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 11:19:08 PM

Dream on. They can't even get into Google, Facebook, or Youtube.

I would not be at all surprised if the Great Firewall of China started blocking Bitcoin wallet traffic.
They can with a VPN. They don't necessarily want to because Weibo is more useful for a chinese than Facebook. But there is no chinese version of Bitcoin.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 11:24:42 PM

Let me explain why the $50K / year limit is largely irrelevant to Chinese Bitcoin users.

#1 - Chinese citizens will still need to wire this money to an exchange after converting it.  PBOC will likely ban international wires to popular BTC exchanges.  Cutting off BTC-e, Kraken, Bitstamp, etc. would not be difficult.  By announcing that banks cannot be used to send money to Bitcoin exchanges, they could even potentially pull back wires which have been received by Bitcoin exchanges from Chinese bank accounts.

#2 - Chinese are using Bitcoin to avoid currency controls.  The people who really need Bitcoin have used up their limits in FOREX ($50k/year)

#3 - International wires cost money ($40 each on average), and are difficult to send.  You must physically go to a bank, wait in line (China lines, they're long as hell), and fill out all the information for the receiver.  It's a complicated process, especially when someone has not sent a wire before.  Right now, Chinese citizens can fund their exchange accounts with a few clicks of their mouse.

If the best option for someone in China is going to the bank, converting CNY to foreign currency, and sending a wire to a Bitcoin exchange, then the Chinese system is crippled in a big way.  These guys are used to 1 hour online deposits and 0% fees.

Just like American users have to wire funds to foreign Bitcoin exchanges, no difference there.

Of course it is more difficult and that is why BTC is 400, not 1200.

Your logic is circular. If banning BTC is just to prevent capital flight, then there is no reason for PBOC to worry about wires to exchanges, as long as the 50K limit is enforced (because that, according to you, is the entire reason for the ban).  Wink

Truth is the new hatespeech.
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 09:04:25 AM

i think there are only few insiders who know exactly what's going on... i doubt this ban was due to capital controls.. because the volume is miniscule to even affect yuan's stability and price of bitcoin would've fluctuated wildly across various exchanges due to buying and selling to move funds across(buy here, dump there, buy there, dump here)... also it's easy for PBOC to see how much money is going in and going out of exchange's accounts since every transaction is documented locally unlike offshore exchange. Now if this was all cash transactions then this ban wouldn't have any effect since all you do is bring suitcase full of yuans and start purchasing bitcoins, but then that kind of operation would've been shutdown without warnings by now...

anyway capital controls can easily be circumvented via all kinds of accounting tricks, overinvoicing, shady money exchangers, triads and etc.. if chinese currency controls were that effective you wouldn't see property bubbles mainly driven by wealthy chinese or countries granting citizenships to chinese with at least USD 1 million in cash. Illegal capital flight is unstoppable because it's the politburo itself that's corrupt to the core and needs it. Most of the middle class families too try to emigrate for better future but their amount is small to even acknowledge it as a problem. i personally don't know the exact reason but it just seems to me some kind of regulatory movement by PBOC and manipulators are simply taking advantage of that by creating more fud... it could be be a blessing in disguise since there are so many offshore places to resume trading.. look at btce that already started CNH trading pair...

also if illegal capital really went to bitcoin, we would've had ath of at least 10,000 usd or more and not 1000 since the amount of illicit money waiting to get out of china is humongous i don't think even exchange volume would've been enough to cover that... anyway that november climb to 1000 usd was purely due to clever manipulative trades that were possible due to 0 fees...  if you notice dumps are only localized if this was true panic you'd see big red candles on btce and bitstamp daily...  Cheesy but so far all i see tall red candles mostly on local chinese exchanges so that tells me coins are staying and it's just to create illusion of panic...  

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: